MIST C64 core

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MIST C64 core

Postby Paradroyd » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:48 pm

I finally got around to trying the MIST C64 core this weekend. I have to say I'm really impressed with how well it works, especially taking into consideration how recently it was ported. It runs a LOT of stuff really well, the majority of things I've tried, in fact.

I used DirMaster 2.2 to extract the prg files from a bunch of .t64 tape files and put them into organized sub-directories. That was the most time-consuming part. The load time is literally instantaneous. You just load the prg file through the menu system, then run (or sys, for ML programs without a BASIC loader). Couldn't be easier. I like the fact that the C64 core has a joystick swap option. I wish more cores had that. Being able to toggle between PAL and NTSC on the fly is nice too.

The one issue I'm having with it is that there's something different about the video signal for that core that causes my Dell flat panel monitor to blank out randomly every few seconds. It's not saying that the video is out of sync or anything like that. It just blanks out for a few seconds then comes back. switching between PAL and NTSC has no effect on this, or to put it another way, it MAY have some effect on it, but it does it in both PAL and NTSC, regardless of what its running.

It's worth noting that the latest Amiga and ST cores have no problems with this monitor, regardless of the video modes I throw at it. The Coleco and Atari 8 bit don't seem to have this problem either, though I have a lot less experience with those.

I tried the MIST with the C64 core on a VGA CRT that I have sitting around and it doesn't do this at all. It just seems like the signal that the C64 core is putting out is slightly weaker or somehow different, and the Dell monitor is having trouble holding onto it. Not so much trouble though that it doesn't work. When it's not blanking out, it looks nearly perfect.

It's probably also worth noting that I've tried all of the available versions of the C64 core (there aren't many). They all behave exactly the same with regard to this.

I'm going to try a signal booster that I've just ordered from Amazon to see if it takes care of the problem. It's also a splitter, so even if it doesn't fix the problem on the Dell, I'll be able to simultaneously run the signal to the CRT and use it that way. I'll try to post some video of what the problem looks like later if anyone cares.

- Dan
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MIST C64 core

Postby remowilliams » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:38 pm

My monitor reports the video mode as 848x480 and unfortunately won't display it :(

Flack
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Flack » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Hey Paradroyd, good to see you over here.

I'll give that C64 core a try tonight and see if it works on my setup as well. I'm also running my MiST through a KVM into a flat screen monitor as well. The last round of firmware/core updates seem to have fixed a few video issues for me -- most notably, the Atari 8-bit core. Before the last round of updates, I was not getting video output from that one. With the latest updates, suddenly it started working. I still need to track down the documentation for that core. I can mount disk images using F11 but don't know what to do after that.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 pm

@Flack latest cores for A8 with instructions.

http://www.scrameta.net/autobuild/
Last edited by NML32 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:30 pm

On my Dell 1908FP the resolution is 720x576 50Hz PAL and 720x480 60Hz NTSC

I don't see any video issues.

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:26 pm

NML32 wrote:@Flack latest cores for A8 with instructions.

http://www.scrameta.net/autobuild/

Wow.. that is a much later version than I had, with nice docs to boot! Looking forward to trying this tonight.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Flack wrote:Hey Paradroyd, good to see you over here.

I'll give that C64 core a try tonight and see if it works on my setup as well. I'm also running my MiST through a KVM into a flat screen monitor as well. The last round of firmware/core updates seem to have fixed a few video issues for me -- most notably, the Atari 8-bit core. Before the last round of updates, I was not getting video output from that one. With the latest updates, suddenly it started working. I still need to track down the documentation for that core. I can mount disk images using F11 but don't know what to do after that.

Hey Flack!

I'm pretty sure that the video dropping out on my Dell FP monitor is something specific to my setup. Hopefully the VGA splitter/signal booster will help with that. It should be here Wednesday.

The one other weird thing I've run into on the C64 core is missing SID voices on a few games. The sound is mostly there, but just one or sometimes two voices are missing. Sorry I don't have more specifics, but I'm not at home right now. Overall it works really well though.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: AW: MIST C64 core

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Paradroyd wrote:
Flack wrote:Hey Paradroyd, good to see you over here.

Hey Flack!

I'm pretty sure that the video dropping out on my Dell FP monitor is something specific to my setup. Hopefully the VGA splitter/signal booster will help with that. It should be here Wednesday.

The one other weird thing I've run into on the C64 core is missing SID voices on a few games. The sound is mostly there, but just one or sometimes two voices are missing. Sorry I don't have more specifics, but I'm not at home right now. Overall it works really well though.

The c64 core is just a quick hack since the overall license situation isn't trivial. I expect worse issues with it than just a missing sid voice :-)
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:59 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:The c64 core is just a quick hack since the overall license situation isn't trivial. I expect worse issues with it than just a missing sid voice :-)

In that case, it works really well for what it is. Anyway, the voice is only missing on a few titles so far.

The VGA splitter booster is installed. Unfortunately, the occasional video blank-outs still happen (though only on the C64 core running on that one LCD monitor). I now have the video signal going to a small VGA CRT simultaneously with the LCD, and that doesn't have any issues. Besides that, the retro stuff looks awesome on the CRT and most of the time I have it mirrored to the bigger, somewhat more readable LCD. Best of both worlds.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:02 pm

Yes, good job on porting the C64 over to the MIST. In it's current state I'm enjoying it very much.

:)

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:57 pm

NML32 wrote:Yes, good job on porting the C64 over to the MIST. In it's current state I'm enjoying it very much.

:)

I am not sure if I have permission to release the modified source code as well. So i'll release a diff against the original source tarball. That way whoever interested can continue my work. Dunno if that'll happen but it doesn't hurt to make it possible.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Any news of the situation of licenses of this core? I'm enjoying it a lot :-)
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:36 am

vebxenon wrote:Any news of the situation of licenses of this core? I'm enjoying it a lot :-)

Are you planning to work on it? Otherwise it wouldn't make any difference for you.

This also looks interesting: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=U ... tyMoQrokHw

I have been in contact with that guy some time ago. He seems to have abandoned this cool project by now. Maybe one of you manages to get in touch with him again. I'd be willing to donate a MiST board for him if he'd like to continue his work.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:20 am

Well, just only for knowing if there will be any new release or new features :)

The videos are very interesting. Thanks very much for your answer. :cheers:

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Anyway, do you know what key is "RUN/STOP" in the USB Keyboard?

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Alessio
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Alessio » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:14 pm

IIRC it was the ESC key.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Alessio wrote:IIRC it was the ESC key.

I'll try it. Thanks :-)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:00 am

The latest release includes a C1541 floppy implementation and can load from D64 disk images.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:49 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:The latest release includes a C1541 floppy implementation and can load from D64 disk images.

Thanks very very very much :D :D :cheers:

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Ah and btw: The new core honours the "scandoubler_disable" entry in mist.ini and at least in PAL mode my TV is happy with it.

TheSaint123
Atarian
Atarian

Postby TheSaint123 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the wonderfull C64 Core but who i can download the latest firmware_150715_r1207 ?

Alessio
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Alessio » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Thank you, that's great news!

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks for the C64 update. I'm off to give it a try. :D

TheSaint123
Atarian
Atarian

MIST C64 core

Postby TheSaint123 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Thank you for the C64 Core with c1541

:cheers:

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:37 am

Works like a charm! Thanks a lot for this update.

Return to “MiST”