https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: The last MIST

Postby Kujako » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:
Kujako wrote:It is true that there is no Atari equivalent of Amiga Forever giving a legitimate way to source TOS.

You can just use EmuTOS, its sources are available under GPL license:
https://github.com/emutos/emutos

It has has a builtin HD driver, boots much faster, and its disk handling is in latest version faster than with "real" Atari TOS.

There are some dirty programs, mainly old floppy-only games & demos that don't work with it: https://github.com/emutos/emutos/blob/m ... atible.txt

But most of the Atari ST/STE/TT programs *do* work with it:
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... emutos.txt

(Also Falcon programs that don't need HiColor mode or DSP, work with it, but that's not relevant for MiST as it doesn't emulate Atari Falcon.)

Nifty, will add it to my list of things to download while waiting for the Polish post to get me my MiST (tracking information I can't read is just frustrating).

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:18 pm

I have just received my MIST. It looks really nice. Unfortunately I do not know the VHDL stuff, so hope somebody will continue mainly with ST core development. But I like also other core especially the new Vectrex one :)

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Got my MiST, and overall quite happy with it. Only real complaint is that the Atari and Amiga logos I wanted to put on it wont stick with the finish that's on the metal.

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Dang... just saw a MiSTICA in the "wild". Guess there really are knock-offs floating around out there now. I guess the good news is that it's "100% MiST compatible" so any core work done on it should trickle over to here as well. But still a bummer to see such blatant copies.

DanyPPC
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DanyPPC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:24 pm

MISTICA has VGA, VIDEO, S-VIDEO and RGB outputs, very useful !

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:30 pm

DanyPPC wrote:MISTICA has VGA, VIDEO, S-VIDEO and RGB outputs, very useful !

But no serial or MIDI (shrug).

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 pm

MiSTICA may be a clone, but there was clearly effort put into making useful upgrades and the pcb was clearly reworked significantly. MiST itself was reworked and upgraded from Minimig hardware if I'm not mistaken.

Other clones (which I won't name) remove features instead of adding anything. It is still a reworked PCB but price wise not that far from a Lotharek MIST. So that doesn't look like a very good deal.

Either.way MIDI seems to be exclusive to the original MiSTs, so they still fill that niche.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 am

They use Tape input option on one of UART pins.

paulrobinsontkd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby paulrobinsontkd » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 am

With this no longer being produced was wondering which was the best alternative to buy.

My main interest is for ATARI ST and AMIGA, may try a few of the other Cores but those are the main two I want to use.

Is it worth still buying a MIST as I have seen a few floating around on Ebay or look for an alternative.

I don't believe MISTER supports the ATARI ST core, do any of the others.

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:07 pm

paulrobinsontkd wrote:With this no longer being produced was wondering which was the best alternative to buy.

My main interest is for ATARI ST and AMIGA, may try a few of the other Cores but those are the main two I want to use.

Is it worth still buying a MIST as I have seen a few floating around on Ebay or look for an alternative.

I don't believe MISTER supports the ATARI ST core, do any of the others.

There's the MiSTICA, which is a direct clone of the MiST minus the serial/MIDI ports. You can find it on eBay if you really want one, but you can also find the actual MiST there as well... keep in mind, that just because he's not making more MiSTs right now he still has stock and is still selling them.

paulrobinsontkd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby paulrobinsontkd » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks Kujako, i'll probably end up buying a genuine MIST in that case.

Does anyone know if the ST core is still being worked on and how it stacks up to a real ST .

I'm learning m68k assembler at the moment in my spare time, trying to recreate some of the old demo effects.

Using steem but it's just not the same when running the demos.

Paul

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:52 pm

paulrobinsontkd wrote:Thanks Kujako, i'll probably end up buying a genuine MIST in that case.

Does anyone know if the ST core is still being worked on and how it stacks up to a real ST .

I'm learning m68k assembler at the moment in my spare time, trying to recreate some of the old demo effects.

Using steem but it's just not the same when running the demos.

Paul

I think the ST core is considered to be "done", but I could be wrong. It has support for the MIDI ports on the MiST (so Cubase etc run) as well as network support with the right USB network dongle. It runs MUCH faster than a stock ST (almost twice as fast as a TT). You can crank the RAM up to 24 megs I think, coupled with faster disk IO and CPU performance.

Example benchmarks... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxgwg7qeJyE

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 pm

I think there is still room for improvement. For example colorful pictures like Spectrum 512 or Photochrome are not displayed correctly (try to run some PP patched games which display the box graphics at the start). The games/demos which open the borders also do not work. Support for STE jagpads would be great. And I think there are certainly other things. I read somewhere that core author wrote ST is done as he does not care about demoscene and game things. But maybe I interpreted it wrong. Unfortunately it needs somebody who knows both the Atari hw and vhdl language and it is not so easy.

But it is great there is ST core for MIST. If you want it for work under GEM it is very nice. I really like the big monochrome mode and more than 4MB RAM options. It is just a pity the core is not developed so intensively as in the past.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:43 pm

krupkaj wrote:I think there is still room for improvement. For example colorful pictures like Spectrum 512 or Photochrome are not displayed correctly (try to run some PP patched games which display the box graphics at the start). The games/demos which open the borders also do not work.

Spec512 and overscan "modes" would require *cycle-exact* implementation of 68000 CPU and its interactions with things like MFP.

Return to “MiST”