Description of desired outcome
Description of actual outcome
Qube
Atari User
Atari User

Some disks incompatible with Steem?

Postby Qube » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi all,

Perhaps somebody can assist me with something curious..

I'm using Steem SSE 3.9.0 and browsing through some disk images,

It appears some disks do not open in Steem, example file: Lemmings 45.

Both the TOSEC .ST file and the Stonish .MSA pop up with an error trying to run these disks in Steem - it reports that the file cannot be opened.

However, if I convert the Stonish .MSA to a new .ST file using JayMSA from within Steem, then the new .ST file works fine in Steem.

Both JayMSA and MSA II 2.3 report that the original Stonish .MSA file is 82 track, 10 sector.

Also, MSA Converter will not open the original Stonish MSA file either - reporting invalid image.

However, both the TOSEC .ST file and Stonish .MSA run without issue in SainT and Hatari.

Is it just that Steem is unable to open certain disks types/geometry depending on how they were imaged originally?

Cheers,

Q;

Qube
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Some disks incompatible with Steem?

Postby Qube » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:37 pm

So.. after further inspection..

The Stonish .MSA files for Lemmings 21, 22, 44, 45 do not open in Steem (or MSA Converter), these disks are reported as being invalid. However, they do run properly in SainT and Hatari. So perhaps their structure/geometry causes an issue in Steem/MSA Converter?

The TOSEC .ST versions of these same disks (21, 22, 44, 45) which also do not open in Steem, do in fact open in SainT or Hatari but do not work properly after further checking. As an example, SainT boots Lemmings 21 to the desktop and says it is damaged if you try to open A:, Hatari boots Lemmings 21 to the initial boot screen and then to the desktop, it can show the file structure. (file tested: Lemmings Menu 21 (19xx)(Lemmings).st)

In further checks, JayMSA initially appeared to convert the Stonish .MSA files to .ST format, and these would boot, but only to the boot screen, some content would not load, so the .ST file must have been corrupted during the conversion process.

Therefore... is it possible that these specific disks (and possibly others) only work in .MSA format and do not open in Steem due to some sort of internal bug? If so then a number of the TOSEC .ST disks are possibly bad.

I also tried converting one of the disks (Stonish .MSA of Lemmings 21) to .ST format using PP's FloImg utility, the resulting .ST file does not work properly - Steem cannot open it, SainT/Hatari boot to the desktop. Although FloImg can display the file structure of the resulting .ST file, and it matches the original .MSA file structure. Again something must have changed in the conversion process resulting in a broken .ST disk image.

Curious - is it possible that the .MSA format is the only format which works for certain disk types? and why does Steem/MSA Converter not open them, instead saying they are invalid - a bug?

Thanks,

Q;

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:47 am

Hi
Last version is 3.9.1.
You weren't very precise about your configuration.
Steem itself can open those images, but pasti has some trouble, so I guess pasti is enabled.
Please check your disk options.

The TOSEC images I have seem to be incorrect.

Qube
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Qube » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi there Steven,

I have mostly resolved this now..

It appears that it was the Pasti plugin which was preventing those Stonish MSA files from opening in Steem SSE (now I'm using SSE 3.9.1). I was using Pasti 0.2j, it would seem that removing the DLL and later re-adding has allowed Steem SSE to open those Stonish MSA files for Lemmings 21, 22, 44, 45. Very very odd, but now working.

As for the TOSEC .ST files for Lemmings 21, 22, 44, 45 - these appear to be damaged in some way.

As a test, I used MSA 1.41 to write the Stonish .MSA files for these disks out to blank floppy disks under emulation, this has worked and I now have 4 working .ST files for those particular disks - all games tested from each disk, inluding the Lemmings file checkers on 44 + 45. MSA-II and JayMSA seemed to write out the Stonish .MSA files incorrectly to the disk drive resulting in broken .ST files.

Below is the info regarding these particular disks, comparing the TOSEC .ST versions to my new MSA 1.41 produced versions, I think these are the only disks affected - Filename, CRC-32, Size:

Lemmings Menu 21 (19xx)(Lemmings).st
84ad853e

tls21-msa141.st
47dc17f9

Lemmings Menu 22 (19xx)(Lemmings).st
b3ce93f4

tls22-msa141.st
4c033395 737,280

Lemmings Menu 44 (19xx)(Lemmings).st
52b45cfe

tls44-msa141.st
697a03bd

Lemmings Menu 45 (19xx)(Lemmings).st

tls45-msa141.st
3456f987

So I suppose these particular TOSEC disks may just need replacing.

As for MSA Converter, for some reason it will not open the Stonish .MSA disks for Lemmings 21, 22, 44, 45 - perhaps they use a compression scheme it does not support or something.

Thanks again,

Q;

Qube
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Qube » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:29 pm

To confirm, Pasti 0.2j DLL stops Steem SSE from opening the Stonish .MSA files for Lemmings 21, 22, 44, 45.

The solution is to disable the Pasti use for ST/MSA files in the disk configuration options, leaving that to Steem SSE to handle directly. That is what was causing that particular issue. I suppose the Pasti DLL is struggling with those disks for some uknown reason.

Q;

Qube
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Qube » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Also, interestingly the File Checker ('F' key) on Lemmings 21 reveals a file is corrupt in the Stonish .MSA image (BAT2_4), whether this is true or just an issue with the File Checker remains to be seem, the Batman game seems to work OK but would need extensive testing to prove either way I suppose. Or somebody else needs to check their original disk to confirm.

tls21-fc-err.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Support”