Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

swimhq
Atarian
Atarian

Reading Atari Formatted discs

Postby swimhq » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:13 am

Hi,

I wonder if someone here can help me? I'm in the process of reconstructing an album made 25 years ago from it's data smiles & tape tracks. The pieces were originally made in Cubase using various synths & an S-950 sampler. There was also 8 track tape machine which was synched by SMPTE. This was all pretty standard for the time but now I want to re-assemble all the parts in Pro-Tools.

In terms of the sequence data I was able to read most of the original floppies using a USB floppy reader and an old Mac running OS9 but one disc remains stubbornly unreadable. I suspect I formatted it differently at the time.

Before I found a way to read the rest of the discs I was seriously considering buying an old ST but then I'd still have the problem of moving data from it. I'm sure they are not easy to network! So I'm really posting here to see if any one knows of a way to get the data off this disc. Once I have the data I have an old version of Cubase on the old Mac that I can use to convert the files into midi files readable by pro-tools.

Any help anyone could give would be gratefully received!

All the best

Colin

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: Reading Atari Formatted discs

Postby charles » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:04 pm

sttopc search this forum
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:34 pm

There are issues at different levels for reading Atari disks on a modern PC (or MAC for that matter). We don't have enough information to tell what exactly is the problem with that disk.

In first place there is the low level format. Most USB drives can't read disks formatted with 10 or 11 sectors per track. If your problematic disk happen to have this kind of format, then you need an old school PC floppy (not USB) and a relative old PC with a controller and connector for that type of drive.

The other issue is high level format. Depending on the software and drivers you are using, some disks can't be read at the file level on a PC. This is a software issue. There are ways to read and at least to produce an image on a PC. I'm not familiar with MAC but I guess it can be done on the MAC as well (somebody probably will tell us).

In both cases you can, of course, read the disk with an ST. Then there are several options to transfer the content to a PC. That's doable and usually not too complicated. You can buy an ST, or you may ship the disk to somebody else. You might want to tell us your location on the world and somebody might be able to help you locally.

Lastly, it is possible that the disk is simply damaged and can't be read, not even on an ST. Sometimes the data can be recovered by cleaning the disk. Sometimes not all the disk, but part of it.

swimhq
Atarian
Atarian

Postby swimhq » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 am

Hi Lijor,

Thankyou for your response!

I would be happy to pay someone to recover this data as, as far as I know, I have no other way to recover it short of (re)buying an ST which I'm trying to avoid doing. If the disc is simply unreadable, c'est la vie but if it is then it would be remiss of me not to attempt to get the data back somehow.

All the best

Colin

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 pm

send me the disk ....ill try

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:30 pm

swimhq wrote:I would be happy to pay someone to recover this data as, as far as I know, I have no other way to recover it short of (re)buying an ST which I'm trying to avoid doing. If the disc is simply unreadable, c'est la vie but if it is then it would be remiss of me not to attempt to get the data back somehow.

Sorry for the late reply ...

If you still didn't solve it, tell us where on the world are you located. As I said, somebody local might be able to help you.

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:10 pm

I hope you find someone near to read the disk image for you. If not just ask on here, for the cost of return postage I am sure someone would volunteer to image the disk for you. Do share your results of your remix!
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:18 pm

yes I will send them back using email

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”