Actually, so it's interesting when you start thinking about this. People often confuse samplers, digital multi-tracks, D2D recorders (early DAWs) etc...
So when you start to think about it, what did we have similar and better than Replay 16 as out and out samplers with a quality DAC / ADC. That is, something which turns audio into digital straight into memory. At 16-bit for me the list is:
- Pro Series 16 by AVR, the more expensive and similar forerunner to Replay 16
- AS Sound Sampler III, much like Replay 16, however never seen one
- Avalon with 16-bit DAC
- Zero-X, however that's purely a sample editor, and not a sampler
Then we get into D2D recorders, digital multi-tracks:
- ADAS, but not a pure sampler offering D2D. Almost a hybrid of sampler and early DAW
- ADAP II... but again, not pure sampler, again almost a hybrid of sampler and early DAW
- Sound Designer / Sound Designer II, again moreover a sample editor, and Sound Designer II an early DAW, and only tailored for Mega ST
- Hybrid Arts Digital Master, but not strictly a sampler
- Yamaha CBX-3 and 5 with Cubase Audio, but again pure digital multi-track
After this, then the only 16-bit offerings are dedicated to the Falcon. So from the Atari ST options above, for pure samplers, there are not so many at 16-bit. Albeit my opinion, the only sampler options that would hands down be better than Replay 16 are the Lynex, ADAP and Avalon with the the 16-bit DAC, however Avalon is strictly a sampler editor, so not a sampler, the other samplers are similar to that of Replay 16, granted I cannot categorically say they have better DACs or not. The rest are not samplers, or at least not pure samplers, but deal with digital audio in a different way.
All I know is Atarieterno is a lucky man to own an ADAS, definitely on my wants list along with a Lynex.
Last edited by Atari74user
on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders