Master Tracks Pro "Transport" hardware?

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Master Tracks Pro "Transport" hardware?

Postby Foxie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 am

Master Tracks Pro has the usual option for sending MIDI data to the modem port. At first I assumed this was for use with C-Lab Export, but actually there's an option which is not available on the Export. It allows you to receive sync through the modem port. The Export has no input of any kind.

If you select "Generate SMPTE", the dialogue title is "SetUp Transport(tm) Interface." So I'm assuming that they made available their own interface for the modem port called Transport? If anyone has any information about this, I would be interested to learn about it.

I managed to find a picture of a different interface called Transport, but it's designed for the Mac. I can't see any way this would work with the Atari, so there must have been a different Atari version: http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/inde ... pic=2611.0

What's particularly interesting is how they managed to get input via the modem port. Normally when you're outputting MIDI data, it's nearly impossible to get simultaneous input through the modem port. I'm thinking the Transport interface may have had an SMPTE input, and directly routed the signal to one of the handshaking lines. This would use a certain amount of processor time handling each bit as they arrive, but it would work and the hardware would be very simple.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: Master Tracks Pro "Transport" hardware?

Postby charles » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 pm

have you used mtp ?
its slower than tortoise on valium
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:25 pm

charles wrote:have you used mtp ?
its slower than tortoise on valium

Hmm, I find Cubase a little slower in its interface actually. I haven't done any measurements of its MIDI performance.

One thing I do like about Master Tracks Pro is the interface. I think the American developers for Atari and Mac really got user interfaces for music software right. What it's lacking is a usable piano roll. Master Tracks Pro is also more cleanly written than Cubase, it works on most system configurations without patches. It still won't work under MINT (although Breakthru - another user friendly sequencer - seems to work fine on MINT).

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 am

hmmm foxie ,,, u could be right ,,
mtp is a sequencer ,
where Cubase is a music creation tool
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”