SMP24 and // switch

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Saturnin51
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

SMP24 and // switch

Postby Saturnin51 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 pm

I connect my SMP24 and a printer to a // switch. The printer runs well, but when I switch on the SMP24, it is recognized by Cubase Audio Falcon but it is not active. No MIDI data are exchanged between the SMP24 and CAF.

Why ?

I open the switch. All the connectors of the centronic are wired.
Falcon 030-14 Mo - FDI Steinberg -Soundpool Analog 8 - SMP24 - Cubase Audio Falcon 2.06 dongle - SC55 - SG64 - Yamaha CBX-T3

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: SMP24 and // switch

Postby Atari74user » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 pm

I used to do the same with the Soundpool M04 and a printer, but I dis-connected the printer long ago. There should be no reason why it does not work.
I am actually thinking about sharing the parallel port again too, so obvious things to deduce the problem:

1. That both ports work on your parallel switcher work. i.e. try both printer and SMP24 on both ports
2. You have definitely enabled the SMP24 MROS driver in the MROS folder? i.e. .DR extension has been renamed .DRV.
Try doing it again just in case.
3. SMP24 on its own has no problem with connection without the printer and switcher?
4. Tried alternative or centronics parallel cables?

I am sure you have checked the above!
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Oh, and you definitely have your SMP24 updated to firmware v1.6x?
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Saturnin51
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Saturnin51 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Yes I check all this items. Curiously, I can select SMP1 or SMP2 etc, I have the sound selected on the expander by default for a channel. I can't change this sound by CAF and when I play keyboard I don't see the level meter of midi data moving !

Very strange.
Falcon 030-14 Mo - FDI Steinberg -Soundpool Analog 8 - SMP24 - Cubase Audio Falcon 2.06 dongle - SC55 - SG64 - Yamaha CBX-T3

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm not familiar with that switch or the inner workings of the SMP24, but it sounds like the switch isn't handling the handshaking properly? Have you tried a good old fashioned mechanical switch box? Those will switch all 10 lines of the printer port so no compatibility issues there. The ST's printer port is fully bidirectional, even the strobe line and busy line. So an "intelligent" switch box might have difficulties if the SMP24 takes advantage of this.

Also have you tried shorter cables? I'd say the absolute maximum for the printer port is 3 metres (100pf/metre x 3 = 1us rise time). Have you tried disconnecting the printer from the switch to see if it's interfering? (for instance by its low-value pullups)

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 pm

To be fair that's a good point, that's what I used too, a manual switch box, as I did not trust any auto switching, if indeed that's what is being used.

Saturnin51
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Saturnin51 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 pm

The switch is mechanical. I change the place of the cable on the switch without result. The issue is very strange.

I have 2 expanders on the smp24 and one on the MIDI input of the Falcon. The SMP24 after launching CAF is actived. I have the normal message on his display. And more I have sound but only from the expander on the Falcon MIDI input. I can change any sound. If I change assignation from ATARI to SMP24, nothing occurs.

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Saturnin51 wrote:The switch is mechanical. I change the place of the cable on the switch without result. The issue is very strange.

Do you know if the switch is actually switching all lines? Some lazy designers might have only switched the strobe and busy lines and wired all the data lines together. That could cause a problem.

Have you tried with the printer completely disconnected from the switch? If it won't work then, there must be something wrong with the switch.

Or a maximum cable length problem. Adding a switch means adding another cable. Printer port is extremely critical with cable length since it can't source any current.

You need to make sure the switch is in the correct position before you start Cubase or MROS and leave it there at all times. Attempting to switch while Cubase is running could lock the system up.

Saturnin51
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Saturnin51 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:02 pm

The cable from switch to Falcon is 2m long. I have no cable more so I can't test an another cable.
I test without the printer cable, same issue.
I test the two connector A and B, same issue.
I watch the switch inside and it seems to be wired right.
The switch is on correct position before launching CAF.

Anybody in the past didn't use a switch in order to print having a SMP24 ?

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:14 pm

I have never tried it with the SMP II, only back in the day with my M04 and had no issues switching between printer and M04.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”