Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

pixelblip
Atarian
Atarian

Mist PC help for a newbie

Postby pixelblip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi there

I purchased a Mist PC and I've really been struggling. I hope someone can help me here .........sorry if this has been answered before.....I just have hit a few stumbling blocks and am getting very frustrated :( Thank you.

I've just bought a MIst v 1.3 with midi ports on .

Firstly I plugged it into my monitor and it said out of sync. My monitor is a TV and is rather large.....it runs at 1024x768 at 60hz I believe. How the heck do you get the Mist to run on this tv? I'm having to put another monitor in front of the tv so have no desk space at the moment.

Secondly I tried downloading a hacked Cubase 3 but then had the problem of how to get it on the Mist PC. I came across a windows program that makes .st images but it said there were too many files to fit on the disk.

I then tried Cubase Lite and made an .st disk from that but when I start it - it says ' MROS not found'.

Also I tried enabling ASCI support ( is it called that ) to browse to the SD card....but from what I understand you have to create a hard disk file in Hatari first and copy it over? If someone could explain I'd be so grateful........I am getting no where.

I've been at it for days now and the dream of going back in time to run Cubase in Black and white like the good old days is starting to be not so appealing!

Thanks for your help.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Mist PC help for a newbie

Postby farvardin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:45 pm

hello,

Monitor
for your monitor, what kind of connection are you using on it? A cinch/peritel adapter or the VGA one?
Have a look at this:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/DocIni

"The MiST firmware has a few configuration options available, which can be set by adding a "mist.ini" file to the root of the SD card.

Overall the file should contain a "mist" tag at the top:
/.../
Description
scandoubler_disable

If set to 1, some cores will disable their scandoubler to produce a 15khz video signal. This works better for upscalers and arcade displays. Also if you want to use a VGA-to-SCART cable with MiST, you need to set this option to 1.
/.../"

you might try with scandouble_disable=1 for your monitor.
Also some people reported their vga TFT monitor were not working at all, so maybe your monitor is not compatible for an unknown reason.

Cubase
I've not tried Cubase, but Cubase lite is working fine for me (I haven't tried to record from midi yet, maybe one day...), from a floppy. Look at this thread, there is an image to download. You can set up an hard drive from hatari but it might be slightly more difficult.

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=31905&hilit=cubase+lite#p321785

and this one as well:
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27973&p=273094&hilit=cubase+lite+mist#p273094

Hard Drives
For setting up the harddrive from hatari:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... assStorage

basically, here is what I did:

I have my MiST hard drive on the SD card (atari.hd). I have setup Hatari to read this hard drive file as ACSI HD image (first line in options). You can copy data from .ST image, but if you want to copy data directly from your PC hard drive, you have to set up a SECOND hard drive, called GEMDOS drive. Just indicate the path on your Pc hard drive. The tricky part is:
- both hard drives will only work if you use EMUTOS tos, not regular atari ones
- if I remember well, you have to check the option on gemdos drive: [x] after asci/ide partitions (experimental). Write protection (x) off.

Then the hard drive in a file from your sd card will be in C, the Gemdos drive on your PC will be D. This way you'll be able to share between your PC and your MiST. If you only use .ST images on virtual floppies, you'll be able to transfer your data with only a regular GEMDOS drive, from your PC. With this, you can use a regular Atari TOS.

Hope this help!

pixelblip
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pixelblip » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Thank you so much farvardin............I really appreciate you writing back.........it's very helpful indeed.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:26 pm

great, you're welcome. Tell me if it works for you. I wish you a pleasant time with your MiST!

pixelblip
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pixelblip » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:09 pm

I had a go this weekend favardin. Sadly I could not get my TV/monitor working with Mist ( it is a Sharp Aquos ). So I had to re-cable my room completely and put a new monitor in. That took all day!

I am still getting 'MROS not found' when I try to run Cubase Lite but I will try to work out why this is.............I will also try to use Hatari to get hard disks working and report back!

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:07 am

keep the disks hierarchy when transferring file ,,,to be more exact ,,set your folders up exactily as on the original Cubase disk
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:55 am

I have a Sony Multiscan which works for most of the cores (except I think the Archimedes). It might be worth tracking one down.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

pixelblip
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pixelblip » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Ok came back to it after a week of more frustration. Patience Grasshopper !

When I start Cubase Lite it says 'Select Screen Driver - VDI or QUICK ' - if I select either it says MROS not found.
This is pretty much happening for every disk I download.
Why can't it find MROS if I've downloaded a disk and there is an MROS folder with an MROS file in it?
Thanks.

pixelblip
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pixelblip » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:17 pm

OMG I've just got the C3 one working.......v3.01.........I tried tos 2.06 and 4mb 6800 - it says out of memory but it is progress.
What do people use to get this working ( configuration ) please?
Thanks

SLiX
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SLiX » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:20 am

Hi pixelblip,

I use v3.01 and it is perfectly stable. My configuration is:

* Mega STe (16 Mhz)
* TOS: v2.06
* CPU: 68000 (strangely, 68020 is also stable but slower)
* RAM: 4 MB (strangely, with 8 MB or more, Cubase doesn't find MROS)

pixelblip
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pixelblip » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks a lot for replying SliX.
I will just have to keep with trial and error.
It would be nice to even get Cubase 2 working.............I can't get my 3.01 working again for some reason. Hmmm

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”