Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Atari and Music.

Postby Atarieterno » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:11 pm

This is just my opinion.
Atari was born thinking of musicians, his native MIDI proves it. Of course it has also been great in all other specialties (DTP, games, programming, databases, CAD, business applications, etc.) and has a reputation (perhaps deserved) of not caring for its internal and external developers. But at certain times in its history, Atari saw that the symbiosis between external developers of software and hardware was necessary for the survival of his magnificent computers; So began to announce their professional stations DTP composed of Mega ST, big monitor and laser printer next to names like Calamus, and in music enough years after appearing Cubase began to advertise it next to its computers.
What should be obvious and used from the beginning, I think it was used late and with deadly wounds in the war of computers, but I will not recreate the wrong decisions of a company that has been futuristic and innovative at the same time that finally took the worst decisions in history; It is easy to place bets when the match is over.
Anyway, Atari was born accompanied by the musicians and Atari closed its doors accompanied of the musicians until the last moment; When everyone left the ship looking for better graphic modes and playing Doom, musicians for more years were still using Atari for their compositions, home studio (pioneers in this) and professional studio, we have defended the flag and even some still do it today.
Atari Explorer, "The Official Atari Journal", in the year 90 and 91 began (late) to give the deserved recognition to the sector of users that showed more fidelity to their machines, the musicians, and it began to advertise directly external companies as Steinberg, C-Lab, Dr.T's and many others, increasing in their magazines the number of pages of musical theme, and even designing a supplement in the publication of the magazine that is called "Atari Artist", of musical specialization.
For all the musicians who have used Atari and especially for those who continue to use it, I dedicate this small tribute with all my affection and admiration.
Atari forever.

ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari and Music.

Postby Atarieterno » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 am

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:10 am

Wow, these ads are all very nice!

Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mindthreat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Atarieterno wrote:Image

I especially love this one - brings the warm fuzzies! Thanks so much for sharing these, they're awesome!
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:51 pm

(It is a pleasure to share these images with you).

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 am

this still involves Atari but slightly off track
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:44 am

Wow!
Amazing the little grandparents Atari 8 bits and the geniuses of Hybrid Arts.
Thanks.
P.S. They also use this device, although more simpler than the MidiMate, and of course there is the homebrew:
http://ixkuczek.republika.pl/ixkuczek.html

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:06 am

Atarieterno wrote: and the geniuses of Hybrid Arts.

What happened to Hybrid Arts? Is this company still alive?

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 am

Hybrid Arts have been pioneers in professional music applications for Atari since the early 1980s, developing innovative software and hardware ahead of time and with the value for money that Atari has always shown. With their systems of recording and editing of audio direct to hard disk have been recorded many discs and films soundtrack of a time where to do with other platforms (PC or Mac) cost ten times more expensive and also without reliability.
In 1990 I think that they changed the name of the company to "Digital FX" and in 1991 they closed his doors; There I lost the trace.
It would be very interesting to know where the members of this great team continued to work, as well as the pioneers of C-Lab (eMagic), Dr. T´s and Steinberg.
Recently and with enough effort, I have acquired this candy, capable of transforming an ST into a professional workstation for audio:

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 am

Atarieterno wrote:Recently and with enough effort, I have acquired this candy, capable of transforming an ST into a professional workstation for audio:

What's in that huge case? Does it add any hardware to the ST? Ports?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:48 am

dhedberg wrote:What's in that huge case? Does it add any hardware to the ST? Ports?

The Digital Master unit contains a SCSI host adapter (by ICD), DSP (digital signal processing) and digital Imput/Output hardware, a SMPTE/EBU reader/generator with chase lock, and a 760 Mby SCSI hard disk.
Imput/Outputs include balanced audio XLRs, stereo DAT RCA jacks, an unbalanced 1/4" phono jack for audio SMPTE time code, as well as the familiar DMA In/Through and a SCSI port. Up to seven hard drives can be daisy-chained off the SCSI port, allowing up to 14 hours of stereo recording.
Connection with the ST is via ribbon cable to the cartridge port, ACSI or SCSI port for more devices and RS-232 (modem port of ST) for synchronism.

Runs under TOS, but additionally the unit runs under CHAOS (the Custom Hybrid Arts Operating System) allowing full multitasking and communication among system programs.

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 am

Atarieterno wrote:
dhedberg wrote:Runs under TOS, but additionally the unit runs under CHAOS (the Custom Hybrid Arts Operating System) allowing full multitasking and communication among system programs.

Wow! Impressive!
I'm curious about CHAOS. Do you have more information on it? Does it completely replace TOS?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:15 am

dhedberg wrote: Wow! Impressive!
I'm curious about CHAOS. Do you have more information on it? Does it completely replace TOS?

Unfortunately I do not have that operating system, I have opened a thread with the "wanted".
There are more people with this device and some will have the CHAOS, also used with ADAP and ADAP II systems (both by Hybrid Arts). I hope some of them read the messages and share the CHAOS for their preservation and enjoyment of other users.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks for sharing the ads. :thumbs:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Atarieterno wrote:
The Digital Master unit contains a SCSI host adapter (by ICD), DSP (digital signal processing) and digital Imput/Output hardware, a SMPTE/EBU reader/generator with chase lock, and a 760 Mby SCSI hard disk.
Imput/Outputs include balanced audio XLRs, stereo DAT RCA jacks, an unbalanced 1/4" phono jack for audio SMPTE time code, as well as the familiar DMA In/Through and a SCSI port. Up to seven hard drives can be daisy-chained off the SCSI port, allowing up to 14 hours of stereo recording.
Connection with the ST is via ribbon cable to the cartridge port, ACSI or SCSI port for more devices and RS-232 (modem port of ST) for synchronism.

Runs under TOS, but additionally the unit runs under CHAOS (the Custom Hybrid Arts Operating System) allowing full multitasking and communication among system programs.

Wow, that looks like a very professional audio recording system. I was not aware Hybrid Arts made something like this.

Does yours work?
For which Atari computer is it suitable? Which software are you using?

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:51 pm

dbsys wrote: Wow, that looks like a very professional audio recording system. I was not aware Hybrid Arts made something like this.
Does yours work?
For which Atari computer is it suitable? Which software are you using?

The specs are impressive, especially considering the time when they were offered. Frequency response is 5 Hz - 20 Khz +/- 0´2 dB, with a dynamic range of >90 dB. Sampling rates range from 48 and 44´1 kHz down to 15´625 kHz. Supported DAT formats include S/P DIF and AES/EBU, and the software has a "back-up-to-DAT" feature that saves marker, timecode offset, annotation, and other data along with the soundtrack, letting you pick up after a restore, right where you left off.

I am a musician, I have Atari ST/fm/e, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon and C-Lab MKX.
When I was young I used them even at concerts, now alone at home under the eyes of my wife who affectionately advises me that not to buy more things from Atari, while holding a skillet in her hand.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 pm

molofaha
Atariator
Atariator

Postby molofaha » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Atarieterno wrote:In 1990 I think that they changed the name of the company to "Digital FX" and in 1991 they closed his doors; There I lost the trace.

From memory, from reading the changelogs, the guys doing the MIDI sequencer split off and kept maintaining it till ~1998.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 pm

molofaha wrote:From memory, from reading the changelogs, the guys doing the MIDI sequencer split off and kept maintaining it till ~1998.

So much?
In Spain we started the loss of distributors approximately in the year 1991, perhaps for that reason I relate it with that date.
I am sad that a pioneering and innovative company disappeared from the Spanish scene, at least in the information for musicians.
They are brilliant and I hope that everyone find a new place to develop their art.
Thanks.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 am

Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mindthreat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:38 pm

These are so fantastic! =D I've never seen any of them before... with the exception of the STacy laptop ad.
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”