KORG X5 A1/2

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

KORG X5 A1/2

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:18 am

There's a KORG X5 VGC in the box at a thrift store, out of town visiting.
Tag is $99.
A keyboard has been on my Falcon list for a while, another "learning" tool.
Prolly $30 to ship home.
Something to jump on for the Falcon?

Thanks!

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: KORG X5 A1/2

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 pm

To answer my own question :)
Spent time skimming over reviews for the X5.
Generally, reviewers (aka "real" musicians:) ) had a favorable summary given their particular use and time in service.
What I walked away with, is the editor is cumbersome even for the experienced. There were also situations where the unit can play back 4 programmed keyed functions in concert, preprogramed effects for the individuals are loss, with a single effect applied to four output.
Each reviewer had their own work around based on experience.

Think I read that correct.
Most felt the X5 a good entry level, and still utilize it because of performance and broad uses.

Basically all I'm looking for is a unit where digital or analog samples can be manipulated for short looping FX the could be used with Falcon keyboard sounds, laser cannon fire for example, as well as a playback for works from Atari focused musicians.
Ideally the synth would be able to cover several instruments reasonable well to the ear, don't want to dive off into separate drum machines or like, the set up will always sit in the same location in a small Atari room.
Tools I have with dongles are Cubase Audio, which is prolly over kill, and Zero X. An FDI and FAFA8, MO4 expander.
Think the X5 may be a bit over my head :)

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 pm

I have the Korg X5D, but I do not know the model that you say.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:19 am

Seems as though you are not looking for a sampler, but a synth with good sounds, ease of use, with the ability to accept and edit samples. This as you may know is what is known as a 'rompler', as the Korg X5. So I would do a search on rompler, and see what comes up. Some have a negative view on romplers, in the same way as a sampler, but I wouldn't pay attention, there are some iconic rompler synths. Korg M1, Yamaha SY85, SY99...Like all music instruments, it is about how you use them, limitation is in the creative mind, or lack thereof. They should have MIDI capability, so you can transfer short samples. Not a fast transfer, but still. Apologies if this is 'suck eggs' info!
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF & Steinberg FDI
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:42 am

Can't make out the shipping label, unit is referred to as an X5 A1/2 on the box. Guessing the model is an earlier version than yours.
Still thinking it over, mainly because of proximity and can ship with some of my moms things she gave me before passing. Visiting 3 more stores and 2 pawn shops tomorrow.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”