The Music Studio - Activision

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

The Music Studio - Activision

Postby siriushardware » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Anyone else have fond memories of this software? It was one of the items I got with my original Atari ST bundle in ~ 1986 and it ended up being the disc with the most miles on the clock of any item of Atari software that I ever had. I must have spent hundreds, thousands of hours twiddling with it despite the fact (or maybe because of the fact) that I was not actually very musical. Someone who was musical probably would have produced better results more quickly.

I had originally encountered The Music Studio on a friend's C64 and compared to that the basic internal sound capability provided by the ST version was pretty terrible, even though it did offer a synth-like sound designer which did as much as would be expected at the time with the basic envelopes and waveforms available from the YM chip. Where it really came into its own was when it was used in conjunction with a MIDI instrument, initially for me a Casio CZ-230S - only four multitimbral parts, just one more than the internal sound chip, but with much better sound and a PCM drumkit - and then I added a Roland MT-32, which was virtually a Band In A Box.

Before The Music Studio landed in my lap I had absolutely no knowledge of musical notation, scales, keys, or any of that stuff. It was a great little creative educational toy, although sadly I have lost much of what it taught me from non-use over the years.

There was only one slight problem with it - I think the preset selection values did not cover the whole possible range so I ran into problems when I came across synths with more presets than TMS had allowed for the existence of, or with patches in banks which TMS had no means to select.

dibasber
Atari User
Atari User

Re: The Music Studio - Activision

Postby dibasber » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:19 pm

i got one with the keyboard i buy in 1987 in think it was the kawai ms710
the first cheep one with full midi support :D :D

mono06
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mono06 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:06 pm

hi everyone
i try to sync my atari 520 st music studio with tr8 or a tanzmaus of mfb.
do you think it's possible to do it or this software can't?
thanks a lot

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:55 am

From what I remember, The Music Studio unfortunately does not offer the facility to output a MIDI sync packet/message.

There are some other items of software which can play Music Studio .SNG files which probably can output a MIDI sync stream such as "MIDI Music Maker", a handy bit of shareware which could also load and convert several different music composer file formats including Music Studio .SNG files to standard MIDI files.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”