Cubase Lite not working

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

jeromydarling
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Cubase Lite not working

Postby jeromydarling » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:37 pm

farvardin wrote:how many floppies did you get? Have you tried to format them all, or at least several of them? You should be able to format them from the atari gem desktop. From the picture on ebay, it's real 720 k floppies, so there is only 1 (coverable) hole on the floppy, not 2, right? With 2 holes like this one http://core4.staticworld.net/images/art ... -large.jpg it won't be usable on Atari unless you cover the extra hole with a piece of tape.

I got 50. I get the same error on any ones that I try and format.

jeromydarling
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jeromydarling » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:38 pm

charles wrote:once you get past the disk issues ,
Cubase needs certain files in certain folders
all set at a relationship from the root hierarchy.
I think its in the manual for version 1.5 Cubase which lays it all out ,

your Cubase lite cant find the certain files because its nature is to
check one dedicated location .......

if you still hazey let me know I will help

I still have plenty of blank discs that should work fine assuming I can figure out why this Cubase 2.01 won't work. Perhaps it's this file hierarchy?

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:41 pm

:) I said it was ...
or
your st has a misaligned drive head
but seems to indicate otherwise since your other programs work fine,no?
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 pm

if you can't format any of the floppies, either your floppy drive has some failures in some occasion (for example it can read but not write), or those floppies are not correct (too old?). I guess if you format from DOS it's not the same as if you format from ATARI, so the final space might differ.

You might try to clean the drive, either with a special floppy or by finding some instructions on this forum, like that maybe: http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... an#p317948

but you'll probably save your time by using a floppy emulator (check you can run the dedicated software from your Mac, maybe with wine)

jeromydarling
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jeromydarling » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Ok, gonna look into the emulator. That seems like a much better solution to all this nonsense

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:28 pm

It know it doesn't answer your original question, but I've discovered the Atari Sequencer "Sweet Sixteen!", which is freeware and seems quite convenient to use. You might give it a try as well:
http://www.ronimusic.com/freeware.htm

for the floppy emulator, you might try gotek + hxc firmware. Gotek can be bought from China on Ali Express (be sure to get the correct version/revision) for 20 € and the hxc firmware can be ordered online for 10 €. There is also a tool needed to flash the drive.
There is a great tutorial there: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=43416

It's not very difficult, but you might prefer to get one already flashed. Then it might cost around 45 € on ebay + shipping. I've found one in France, you might find some for your country as well. I think it was more expensive before (more like 60-70 €).

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Miguel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:53 pm

jeromydarling wrote:
Miguel wrote:Yeah if those disks were already DOS formatted you shouldn't need to format them again as your Atari should be able to read DOS floppies without any problem.....mind you disk images are a whole other ball of wax and Atari does have it's own format....but you want to stick with the DOS format if you can.....also make sure the copy protection tab on the disk is unlocked, in case some idiot locked it for whatever reason.

Perhaps you should walk us through what it is you are doing exactly.

Thanks Miguel! I'm just ramping up my collection of electronic music software for my Atari. I have a Yamaha DX7, a Casio CZ100, a Kawai K1m and some other killer drum machines. I managed to get working copies of the Caged Artist series of applications for each of those synths. I also managed to get a great sequencer called Sweet Sixteen (as all Cubase versions I knew of needed a dongle). I couldn't get Cubase Lite to work and now I'm struggling with this Cubase 2.01. I'm using the same floppies that worked for the Caged Artist stuff - no idea why Cubase isn't working

Cool, what drum machines do you have? just in case I have a Cubase Mixer Map or Drum Map you might need....oh yeah and you are probably going to want to rock Cubase, speaking of which perhaps you should tell us how you are going about transferring those files, the more details the better, like tell us exactly what you are using and how you are using it so that we can try to ascertain if it's a problem with the Mac and USB combo or your Atari and it's floppy drive....what we want to try and figure out is the difference between the stuff that works and the stuff that doesn't work.

Now as far as emulated floppy drives go, they are cool but I would recommend retaining an actual working floppy drive while adding an emulated drive because you never know when you have to transfer actual floppies from studio gear or use some copy protected disk, like the Cubase studio module for example.

jeromydarling
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jeromydarling » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:05 am

Here's my drum machines:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU-3xjNB2wb ... omydarling

Yamaha RX5
Kawai R100
Alesis HR16

I'm transferring from my Macbook Pro onto a TEAC FD-05PUW External Floppy Disk Drive Unit. I'm downloading from a browser then dragging and dropping onto the Floppy Drive.

Any of that help?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:28 am

Alright so you are not formatting the disks on the Mac or Atari, you are just doing a basic drag and drop? What OS are you running on the Mac and Atari?

It's quite possible that Charles is right about your Atari floppy drive being misaligned but at the same time Macs are not exactly ideal machines when it comes to compatibility.....here is what I propose, put that Cubase folder on a USB stick and find a PC with a floppy drive or try your USB floppy drive on a PC, make a few disks with the same content and then check out if it works on your Atari and then report back with your findings.....if the results are consistently positive then it's safe to assume that the Mac is the problem.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”