Atari mini MIDEX?

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Atari mini MIDEX? Can anyone tell me what its called?

Postby phonix » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:39 pm

dbsys wrote:
phonix wrote:
dbsys wrote:
Hi phonix,

I am trying to get my Steinberg MIDI-3 working in Cubase 3.1. I have activated the driver (STMI3_5.DRV) in the MROS folder.

Is the MIDI-3 supposed to "appear" in the Cubase tracklist under "OUTPUT"?
I have the choice between ATARI and MROS only.

I would expect the MIDI-3 to add up to this selection when activating the driver.

How does this look in your Cubase software?

Thanks for help.

Did you remember to check inside the MIDI3 to see if the jumpers are all moved towards the printer port? Otherwise it is setup for PC (look further up this post for this)

Under output In cubase 2 or 3 you should be able to select Atari/Mros/STMI 1/STMI2 and STMI3

Have newest Mros, there is a link in this post i believe and have the driver there (STMI3_5.DRV)

Hope you get it working!

Hi phonix, thank you.

Yes, I moved all the jumpers towards the printer port, as advised by you in an earlier post above. I have attached the Steinberg power supply, which I have tested and measured its outpout voltage to be 9 volts.

I am using the latest MROS from the link to Steinberg's FTP site, since I posted this link myself.

As you mentioned earlier, I am using STMI3_5.DRV driver.

Which Cubase version are you using and on which Atari machine?

I use Cubase 2.0 and 3.01 on a mega ST (Cubase lite and 1 can't use the MIDI3) and Cubase 2 can not use the output on MIDI3)

My cubase folder holds all files and folders including an Mros folder were the STMI3_5.DRV file needs to be. Use Mros 3.45 at best (the one calle 295 at the FTP download: ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Atari/cubase/ ) but i think i used to use Mros 2.10 once without any problems. The Cubase start icon needs to be in top layer.

If you can't get the setup working you might need to have someone to look at the MIDI3. There's not much in there. Maybe try giving all the dip switches a contact spray and move them a few times. Are the polarity on the PSU right?

ST wise all models should work if they have 1 MB at minimum (im not sure Cubase 3.01 can run on 1 MB)

My Mega suffers bad contacts on the monitor output port and I could easily imagine that you had same problem on the printer port since the STs are aging. Spray the port with contact cleaner and move the MIDI3 on/off many times afterwards.

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Atari mini MIDEX?

Postby Miguel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:45 am

The MROS folder should simply be called MROS and contain your driver files including the MROS file itself, none of which should be in any folders other than the folder simply named MROS unless you don't want Cubase to see them!

If STMI3 isn't showing up in the output options within Cubase it's because Cubase can't see the driver, it has nothing to do with the hardware so there is no point fiddling around with it, you won't know if Cubase can see the hardware until you get Cubase to see the driver for it first....once you install the driver for the STMI3 the entry in the output options will indicate the status of your hardware, the text will be solid if Cubase can see the STMI3 hardware or it will be greyed out if Cubase can't see the STMI3 hardware in which case you can fiddle around with the hardware, just bear in mind that it ain't plug and play like USB.

The recommended minimum for Cubase 3.01 is 1 MB whereas the more recent Cubase Score 2.06 has a recommended minimum of 2 MB.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Miguel wrote:The MROS folder should simply be called MROS and contain your driver files including the MROS file itself, none of which should be in any folders other than the folder simply named MROS unless you don't want Cubase to see them!

If STMI3 isn't showing up in the output options within Cubase it's because Cubase can't see the driver, it has nothing to do with the hardware so there is no point fiddling around with it, you won't know if Cubase can see the hardware until you get Cubase to see the driver for it first....once you install the driver for the STMI3 the entry in the output options will indicate the status of your hardware, the text will be solid if Cubase can see the STMI3 hardware or it will be greyed out if Cubase can't see the STMI3 hardware in which case you can fiddle around with the hardware, just bear in mind that it ain't plug and play like USB.

The recommended minimum for Cubase 3.01 is 1 MB whereas the more recent Cubase Score 2.06 has a recommended minimum of 2 MB.

Thank You for clearing this up. I'm not an ST expert. I'm just making music with an ST. So I was not aware that Cubase could show the MIDI3 outputs in grey if the hardware was not connected.

So dbsys should get the folder structure in order as a first. And this should not be difficult.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Yeah it's one of those things which is easy to overlook when you have your own ST up and running, I mean once your folder structure is in order and your MIDI interface is connected and working it is advisable not to disturb it so you are not likely to notice that the outputs will be grey if you have made the wise decision not to disconnect your working MIDI interface. Once dbsys gets the folder structure and the driver sorted out we can then ascertain if the hardware is working using the information you have gathered.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:04 pm

My folder structure was and is as Steinberg recommends. I then decided to completely delete my MROS folder and replace it from the original floppy disk. Now the MIDI-2 outputs show up under OUTPUT. And I can select any of them and redirect my MIDI tracks through any of these new MIDI-3 outputs. It works very well.

Thanks to everyone helping me to solve the issue.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:13 pm

dbsys wrote:My folder structure was and is as Steinberg recommends. I then decided to completely delete my MROS folder and replace it from the original floppy disk. Now the MIDI-2 outputs show up under OUTPUT. And I can select any of them and redirect my MIDI tracks through any of these new MIDI-3 outputs. It works very well.

Thats Great! Lets keep these ST's running!

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:46 pm

dbsys wrote:My folder structure was and is as Steinberg recommends. I then decided to completely delete my MROS folder and replace it from the original floppy disk. Now the MIDI-2 outputs show up under OUTPUT. And I can select any of them and redirect my MIDI tracks through any of these new MIDI-3 outputs. It works very well.

Once you eliminate the hardware and the folder structure as the problem the next most likely culprit is perhaps one of the files themselves having been corrupted, so you were wise to replace the entire MROS folder.....I am just happy that you are up and running now.

Just remember to give track and output priority to your drums....that is track 1 down and the Atari output first.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Yes thats right

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:41 pm

dbsys wrote:
phonix wrote:
dbsys wrote:
Hi phonix,

I am trying to get my Steinberg MIDI-3 working in Cubase 3.1. I have activated the driver (STMI3_5.DRV) in the MROS folder.

Is the MIDI-3 supposed to "appear" in the Cubase tracklist under "OUTPUT"?
I have the choice between ATARI and MROS only.

I would expect the MIDI-3 to add up to this selection when activating the driver.

How does this look in your Cubase software?

Thanks for help.

Did you remember to check inside the MIDI3 to see if the jumpers are all moved towards the printer port? Otherwise it is setup for PC (look further up this post for this)

Under output In cubase 2 or 3 you should be able to select Atari/Mros/STMI 1/STMI2 and STMI3

Have newest Mros, there is a link in this post i believe and have the driver there (STMI3_5.DRV)

Hope you get it working!

Hi phonix, thank you.

Yes, I moved all the jumpers towards the printer port, as advised by you in an earlier post above. I have attached the Steinberg power supply, which I have tested and measured its outpout voltage to be 9 volts.

I am using the latest MROS from the link to Steinberg's FTP site, since I posted this link myself.

3.01 is the last edtion, so thats the one to use but it needs more than 1 MB ram (2mb and up)

In Cubase lite you can't use it. In Cubase 2.0 You can use all 3 outs but not the input. In Cubase 3 (3.01) all 3 outs and the input can all be used.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:55 pm

phonix wrote:
dbsys wrote:
phonix wrote:

Hope you get it working!

Hi phonix, thank you.

3.01 is the last edition, so that's the one to use but it needs more than 1 MB ram (2mb and up)

I use an (non 'e' Mega with 4 MB ram expansion onboard (bought this way), but any ST can be expanded to 4 mb ram. There is a kit sold on eBay (I'm not sure how difficult it is to solder in, but quite possible a big job) so I would find an ST with 2 mb or more RAM already onboard, opening an 30+ year old pc can result in it going bad ). Do not buy the oldest 520 non 'e' model with external PSU and external floppy drive. Thats not a good choice. The late E models (also ST520 e, the ST520e is the same as a ST1040 E/Mega E, the 512E just came with only 512 mb simm ram) All E models can all be expanded up to 4 mb with ordinary cheap SIMM RAM.
An non 'e' Mega is as follows regarding RAM from factory : Mega 1 has one MB ram from factory (but is likely expanded today) Mega 2 came with 2 mb ram and Mega 4 with 4 MB ram from factory.
But most ST's today would have some sort of RAM expansion unless you buy an ST that has been use for gaming. Get a converter plug so that you can use a modern mouse. And maybe a converter plug to use an old vga flat screen (15" to 17" seems to be best choice) , if you use brand new big monitor it will most likely say can't run resolution' when you power it up. It took me some tries to find an old pc flat screen with VGA that would run perfect with the ST (but don't expect to get more than the 640x400 pix resolution the the ST max can do)
Last edited by phonix on Wed May 31, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:56 pm

phonix wrote:
phonix wrote:
dbsys wrote:
Hi phonix, thank you.

3.01 is the last edition, so that's the one to use but it needs more than 1 MB ram (2mb and up)

I use an non 'e' Mega with 4 MB ram expasion onboard (bought this way), but any ST can be expanded to 4 mb ram. There is a kit sold on eBay (I'm not sure how difficult it is to solder in, but quite possible a big job) so I would find an ST with 2 mb or more RAM already onboard, opening an 30+ year old pc can result in it going bad ). Do not buy the oldest 520 non 'e' model with external PSU and external floppy drive. Thats not a good choice. The late E models (also ST520 e, the ST520e is the same as a ST1040 E/Mega E, the 512E just came with only 512 mb simm ram) All E models can all be expanded up to 4 mb with ordinary cheap SIMM RAM.
An non 'e' Mega is as follows regarding RAM from factory : Mega 1 has one MB ram from factory (but is likely expanded today) Mega 2 came with 2 mb ram and Mega 4 with 4 MB ram from factory.
But most ST's today would have some sort of RAM expansion unless you buy an ST that has been use for gaming. Get a converter plug so that you can use a modern mouse. And maybe a converter plug to use an old vga flat screen (15" to 17" seems to be best choice) , if you use brand new big monitor it will most likely say can't run resolution' when you power it up. It took me some tries to find an old pc flat screen with VGA that would run perfect with the ST (but don't expect to get more than the 640x400 pix resolution the the ST max can do)

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:56 pm

phonix wrote:
phonix wrote:
phonix wrote:

I use an non 'e' Mega with 4 MB ram expasion onboard (bought this way), but any ST can be expanded to 4 mb ram. There is a kit sold on eBay (I'm not sure how difficult it is to solder in, but quite possible a big job) so I would find an ST with 2 mb or more RAM already onboard, opening an 30+ year old pc can result in it going bad ). Do not buy the oldest 520 non 'e' model with external PSU and external floppy drive. Thats not a good choice. The late E models (also ST520 e, the ST520e is the same as a ST1040 E/Mega E, the 512E just came with only 512 mb simm ram) All E models can all be expanded up to 4 mb with ordinary cheap SIMM RAM.
But most ST's today would have some sort of RAM expansion unless you buy an ST that has been use for gaming. Get a converter plug so that you can use a modern mouse. And maybe a converter plug to use an old vga flat screen (15" to 17" seems to be best choice) , if you use a brand new big monitor it will most likely say can't run resolution' when you power it up. It took me some tries to find an old pc flat screen with VGA that would run perfect with the ST (but you wont get more than the 640x400 pix resolution the the ST max can do)
Last edited by phonix on Wed May 31, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:57 pm

sorry for the double entries, i'm not sure what went wrong there

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:57 pm

phonix wrote:
phonix wrote:
phonix wrote:

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:58 pm

phonix wrote:sorry for the many double entries, i'm not sure what went wrong there

Maybe a moderator can delete the extra posts?

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Wed May 24, 2017 11:16 am

Miguel wrote:Yeah even if it's not plugged in STMI 3 1-3 should show up under "OUTPUT" if you activated the driver....at least that's how it is with the Export driver I use with my homemade Modem-to-MIDI cable as well as the driver for my MIDEX+.

Hi Miguel.

I remember that self-made 'one extra output expander' for the modem port. I made one 25 years ago or so. Can you link to a place that shows how to make it? It was really easy to make as far as I recall but I can't remember how to make it anymore?
If there's no links that shows 'how to', then maybe you have a photo of the inside?
Phonix

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri May 26, 2017 5:17 am

Sure try here http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/zip/midixtra.zip

It's quite easy, all I did was trim two 220 Ohm resistors a bit and then just soldered them directly to the two pins (2,7) on the D25 socket and then just twisted and soldered the wires running from the MIDI socket onto the two resistors, just make sure you leave enough wire on the resistor attached to pin 7 (of the D25 socket) so you can comfortably attach the wires from pins 2 and 5 (of the MIDI socket) to the wire on either side of the resistor.

Personally I opted to place the MIDI socket at the end of a cable rather than install the MIDI socket into the D25 shell itself because it's a lot more flexible and doesn't cause unnecessary wear and tear on the modem port should you decide to swap out MIDI cables, you can of course use a D25 extension cable if you wish.

Unfortunately I can't take pictures of mine because I used one of those snap together shells from an old printer cable and I think I squirted some hot glue in there, at the time I also used the larger centronics shell from the other end of the donor cable to house three MIDI sockets so I could split the Atari's MIDI out/thru socket so I used quite a bit of hot glue that day.....that's something else you might want to think about putting together while you have the soldering iron out, like even if you don't end up using the Atari's MIDI thru at least it eliminates any potential problems with using modern MIDI cables that have all 5 pins wired up.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Wed May 31, 2017 3:48 pm

thanks

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Wed May 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Miguel, thanks. Does this device need a driver?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:15 pm

It works by using the same driver as C-Lab's Export which despite being a 3 output device really only performed well on the first output anyway so you don't really loose all that much by using the cheaper single output alternative. If you use Cubase you must activate (rename) the latest Export driver in the MROS folder (all of which is in the link) and if you use Notator all you have to do is plug it in and it should work, basically it will work just like the Export but you will only have a single MIDI out.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:26 pm

I found a picture of one on this very forum a while back viewtopic.php?f=111&t=27501&hilit=midi+modem although like I said I wouldn't recommend putting the MIDI socket into the shell like that because it wouldn't be as flexible as having the socket on the end of a cable.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”