Atari mini MIDEX?

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Atari mini MIDEX?

Postby phonix » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:26 pm

Steinberg Atari mini MIDEX? Can anyone tell me what its called and what is needed to run it?

It needs power and I don't know the voltage (plus is center pin as far as I can see). It connects to the printer port of an Atari ST and gives 3 extra outs and extra one input. I have owned it for more that 25 years but now all memory of how to use it is gone

Driver for Cubase ST? Perhaps even a manual copy?

See image

Hope someone can help, will be so thank full
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by phonix on Wed May 24, 2017 11:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Atari mini MIDEX? Can anyone tell me what its called?

Postby Miguel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:05 pm

There was a Sound On Sound article which mentioned it but unfortunately that article seems to have disappeared.....the article called it "Keychange Music Service's Proper Job" and said "It's based on a Steinberg PCI3 MIDI interface" and I have heard it also called the MIDI-3 furthermore it said "So that Cubase can see the interface, your MROS folder will need the correct driver - either KMS1-3 DRV or STM1-3 DRV. If you have neither driver, contact Keychange and they should be able to help." and I would assume that the correct driver would be STMI3_5.DR located within the latest MROS folder so you would need to rename that to STMI3_5.DRV in order to have Cubase see the driver......I have no info on the power supply unfortunately.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi

It is called the Steinberg Midi 3 if I recall correctly. As for drivers, not sure but this thread may help but have not checked: viewtopic.php?t=24593

Hope it helps?
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:44 pm

I've PM'ed the guy in the link but he's post is from 2006, so i need to be darn lucky if he replies

If anyone else can tell the drivers name and psu specification then please please

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:47 pm

Miguel wrote:There was a Sound On Sound article which mentioned it but unfortunately that article seems to have disappeared.....the article called it "Keychange Music Service's Proper Job" and said "It's based on a Steinberg PCI3 MIDI interface" and I have heard it also called the MIDI-3 furthermore it said "So that Cubase can see the interface, your MROS folder will need the correct driver - either KMS1-3 DRV or STM1-3 DRV. If you have neither driver, contact Keychange and they should be able to help." and I would assume that the correct driver would be STMI3_5.DR located within the latest MROS folder so you would need to rename that to STMI3_5.DRV in order to have Cubase see the driver......I have no info on the power supply unfortunately.

Thanks Miguel

The psu is a big problem

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Were do I find the latest Mros for Atari Cubase?

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:33 pm

phonix wrote:Were do I find the latest Mros for Atari Cubase?

See here:
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Atari/cubase/

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Thank you 'dbsys'

When I get everything running I will make a full guide /list for this MIDI 3. It also works for PC if you open it and move 3 dips I've been told.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:41 pm

ALL SOLVED

All is running fine. The Mros driver is STMI3_5.DR. The MIDI 3 needs 7.5 volt dc (300ma is plenty) with positive in center pin. There's a row of dip swiches inside and moving all to the other side will make the MIDI 3 fit a PC (with PC: not tested) I needed to move mine to get the ST to see the MIDI 3 - mine was set to PC mode (move all of them towards the printer port to be ST mode). (NEW INFO: It came with an 9V psu I've been told now but the 7.5 PSU is fine - MIDI uses 5V and so do the microprocessor in the MIDI-3))

On Mega's you need a printer cable since the power plug does it impossible to mount the MIDI 3 directly on the computer.

In Cubase lite (1.0) you can't use it. In Cubase 2.0 You can use all 3 outs but not the input (as far as I've found out). In Cubase 3 all 3 outs and the input can all be used.

Remember to add a 'V' to the driver file (STMI3_5.DRV) to make it active and place it in the mros folder.

Thanks to those who helped with some of the info needed
Last edited by phonix on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:40 am

I now have such a MIDI-3, which I found on ebay.de a few days ago, and it came with a "Steinberg" labeled power supply.

It´s output ratings is are as follows:
9 Volt DC / 150 mA / 1,35 VA

It came with a floppy disk for Windows 95 and printed instructions (in German) for Windows 95.
A printer cable was included as well.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:13 pm

phonix wrote:ALL SOLVED

There's a row of dip swiches inside and moving all to the other side will make the MIDI 3 fit a PC (not tested). I needed to move mine to get the ST to see the MIDI 3 (it must have been set to PC).

Hi phonix, can you please take a look at my dip switch setting? How are your dip switches set to make the MIDI 3 work with an Atari ST?

Thanks for checking!

MIDI3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:29 pm

dbsys wrote:
phonix wrote:ALL SOLVED

There's a row of dip swiches inside and moving all to the other side will make the MIDI 3 fit a PC (not tested). I needed to move mine to get the ST to see the MIDI 3 (it must have been set to PC).

Hi phonix, can you please take a look at my dip switch setting? How are your dip switches set to make the MIDI 3 work with an Atari ST?

Thanks for checking!

MIDI3.jpg

Hi

You need to move all of them towards the printer port to be ST mode.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Thank you, phonix.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:01 pm

dbsys wrote:I now have such a MIDI-3, which I found on ebay.de a few days ago, and it came with a "Steinberg" labeled power supply.

It came with a floppy disk for Windows 95 and printed instructions (in German) for Windows 95.

Could you put up a scan of the instructions manual?

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:10 am

phonix wrote:
dbsys wrote:I now have such a MIDI-3, which I found on ebay.de a few days ago, and it came with a "Steinberg" labeled power supply.

It´s all in German and for Windows 95 only. Just how to install the driver in Windows 95, nothing specific on the interface.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Atari mini MIDEX?

Postby phonix » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:40 am

Still, if you get the time to scan the German manual it would be a funny thing to have for us owners of this rare piece

Maybe also put the files on the floppy up. It must have both PC and ST drivers

I would love the read the manual no matter how small it is. It would tell how old the product is (i presume) and maybe other interesting stuff.

By the way: For Mega ST owners. You do not need to use a cable. You could use these female to male expanders i have ordered on ebay (not gotten them yet) Both solutions cost around 5 GBP inc post. One is a set of 5 that you push into one unit (i think 3 or 4 is plenty but they came in 5).
Last edited by phonix on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:32 am

dbsys wrote:
phonix wrote:

It´s all in German and for Windows 95 only. Just how to install the driver in Windows 95, nothing specific on the interface.

My scanner does not work at the moment....

The PC drivers are here:
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/pcmidi3/PC/

This archive is more recent than what I have on the Win95 floppy disk.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:48 pm

dbsys wrote:
dbsys wrote:
phonix wrote:

My scanner does not work at the moment....

The PC drivers are here:
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/pcmidi3/PC/

This archive is more recent than what I have on the Win95 floppy disk.

If anyone in the future can put up the manual (also german version) it would be complete

a0tikk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby a0tikk » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:31 pm

Hey,

I've had one of these PC MIDI3 units sat around for years (last used on a Win98 machine) and following the above info it's now working on my Mega STE... thanks to everyone who contributed to this post... I'm well please with the extra ports available.

I've got the original box and manual (PC Based) so I'll see if I can sort a scan out if you still want to see it?

Cheers
Rob

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:42 pm

a0tikk wrote:Hey,

I've had one of these PC MIDI3 units sat around for years (last used on a Win98 machine) and following the above info it's now working on my Mega STE... thanks to everyone who contributed to this post... I'm well please with the extra ports available.

I've got the original box and manual (PC Based) so I'll see if I can sort a scan out if you still want to see it?

Cheers
Rob

That would be great Rob!

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:32 pm

phonix wrote:
Remember to add an V to the driver file (STMI3_5.DRV) to make it active and place it in the mros folder.

Hi phonix,

I am trying to get my Steinberg MIDI-3 working in Cubase 3.1. I have activated the driver (STMI3_5.DRV) in the MROS folder.

Is the MIDI-3 supposed to "appear" in the Cubase tracklist under "OUTPUT"?
I have the choice between ATARI and MROS only.

I would expect the MIDI-3 to add up to this selection when activating the driver.

How does this look in your Cubase software?

Thanks for help.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Yeah even if it's not plugged in STMI 3 1-3 should show up under "OUTPUT" if you activated the driver....at least that's how it is with the Export driver I use with my homemade Modem-to-MIDI cable as well as the driver for my MIDEX+.

phonix
Atari User
Atari User

Postby phonix » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:33 pm

dbsys wrote:
phonix wrote:
Remember to add an V to the driver file (STMI3_5.DRV) to make it active and place it in the mros folder.

Hi phonix,

I am trying to get my Steinberg MIDI-3 working in Cubase 3.1. I have activated the driver (STMI3_5.DRV) in the MROS folder.

I would expect the MIDI-3 to add up to this selection when activating the driver.

Thanks for help.

Did you remember to check inside the MIDI3 to see if the jumpers are all moved towards the printer port? Otherwise it is setup for PC (look further up this post for this)

Under output In cubase 2 or 3 you should be able to select Atari/Mros/STMI 1/STMI2 and STMI3

Have newest Mros, there is a link in this post i believe and have the driver there (STMI3_5.DRV)

Hope you get it working!

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:06 am

phonix wrote:
dbsys wrote:
phonix wrote:

Hi phonix,

Thanks for help.

Did you remember to check inside the MIDI3 to see if the jumpers are all moved towards the printer port? Otherwise it is setup for PC (look further up this post for this)

Under output In cubase 2 or 3 you should be able to select Atari/Mros/STMI 1/STMI2 and STMI3

Have newest Mros, there is a link in this post i believe and have the driver there (STMI3_5.DRV)

Hope you get it working!

Hi phonix, thank you.

Yes, I moved all the jumpers towards the printer port, as advised by you in an earlier post above. I have attached the Steinberg power supply, which I have tested and measured its outpout voltage to be 9 volts.

I am using the latest MROS from the link to Steinberg's FTP site, since I posted this link myself.

As you mentioned earlier, I am using STMI3_5.DRV driver.

Which Cubase version are you using and on which Atari machine?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:48 pm

How are your files organized? I mean Cubase requires things to be organized according to certain conventions, for example if your STMI3 driver hasn't been renamed properly Cubase won't see it, likewise if you have the STMI3 driver in some folder within your MROS folder etc Cubase won't see it...that kind of thing.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”