Why doesn't the likes of Steinberg just let us have abandonware cubase??

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

kola
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Why doesn't the likes of Steinberg just let us have abandonware cubase??

Postby kola » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:09 pm

.....I mean its not a bad business move.

You can only buy Atari compatible versions of Cubase these days second hand, meaning Steinberg do not make any money. Anyone visiting the Atari by way of emulator or whatever could try this way out if it were freely available. If its not for them then there at least there aware of what Cubase is and this may lead to a real world purchase with the current version.

Its like product awareness. They don't get anything by letting this software vanish into nothingness. By giving it to the community they cannot loose. I very much doubt people who like modern day cubase with all its bells and whistles would ditch there mega billion CPU mac book for an atari. The Atari community is neich and it never going to detract people from modern sales. Cant hurt. Can only do nothing or slightly improve.

I mean whats the alternative. People come look at how it started by emulator, get a cracked crashing version of cubase. Some guys don't realise the genuine version is absolutely stable. If anything this could put them off Cubase.

Yes, this can be applied to Notator and such too.

Whats other peoples thoughts on this?
Highly experimental music for space robots! All made on an ST with not a damned PC in site - yeeeey

penguin

Re: Why doesn't the likes of Steinberg just let us have abandonware cubase??

Postby penguin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:20 pm

How many people really use the ST to start with MIDI nowadays? I doubt that Steinberg loses any potential customers over crashy cracked ST versions of their software.

As to why Steinberg doesn't release old ST software for free - maybe no one asked them nicely yet? :angel:
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:46 pm

yes, it would be nice and somebody should ask them. (not secretary or legal department, but heads if posible)

and today I bump on this interview with Fatboy Slim: he try to switch from ST and Cubase to Mac and Abelton in 2012. :D

read here: http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/int ... cer-546858
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:20 am

Same question could be made about lot of other SW , or even about TOS self. Or why there is so many empty apartment around while much people leaving on streets .. They don't care. They have no time to deal with. Much of is in hand of lawyers :evil: , copyrights were moved into different companies during time. All it may be complicated. Or just it will be case that no saved copies/sources, so they can not provide it.
There is way to stop global warming.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure Steinberg is still owner of Cubase.

I think that like other software or intellectual property, lawyers fear that if you let a brand/name/franchise/software free, they will lose control over it.

On a side note, if I remember correctly, there is the no-audio version of Cubase, Cubase Lite, free for everyone.

At Tim's Atari MIDI World there should be something

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:47 pm

Steinberg belongs to Yamaha now.
Knowing that Yamaha doesn't care about continuity ( see how they gave up on Mlan and dropped without a solution thousands of users) , I guess they don't even bother about it.

There are various audio versions of Cubase on Atari : Cubase Audio Falcon and Cubase for Yamaha CBX D5 or D3, but excepted Cubase lite, none have been release without dongle.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Heh, I'm sure they don't care... until something happens.

Do you remember the whole mess that happened when 3Dstooges released Gorf for Jaguar? Just unbelievable, but it happened.

By the way, I still own (and sometimes use) a "dongled" Cubase audio Falcon, but I downloaded the free Cubase Lite and used it on the STe. It reminded me of the non-audio Cubase. If I remeber correctly, there are some little limitations (like the number of tracks) but it is basically a previous version made free.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:14 am

^ what was story about Jaguar and Gorf?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:58 am

the story goes something like that:

After talking with the GORF author, the 3Dstooges made an arcade perfect version of Gorf for the Jaguar, but when the game was out and gained a lot of attention, Midway came out with a c&d letter forcing a stop in production and sales.

macrodx
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby macrodx » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:42 am

I asked Steinberg about copies of their Synthworks line just recently and been told that they do not even have a archive to draw them from :shrug:

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:21 am

You asked them on some corporate email? Or you find someone who personally work in Steinberg?

macrodx
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby macrodx » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:09 am

Official Steinberg support, but with a sincere answer, nit just a standard text.
I do know what your question is aiming at though... I too cannot believe that the sources have completely vanished...

sarnau
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sarnau » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:21 am

C-Lab applications went into Emagic, which was bought by Apple in 2002. So, it is possible that the copyright is now with Apple. I did the original "SL" part of Notator SL and work on Logic before it even became 1.0. But I also don't know where the old sources even could be. Every now and then we still stumble across functions which haven't been touched in 2 decades, so parts of the code is clearly still in use. Does anybody here care of potential piracy of 20+ year old software? I'll doubt it, but I am not a lawyer. Apple didn't seem to go after old copies of System 7, A/UX, Hypercard, etc. either.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:03 am

penguin wrote:How many people really use the ST to start with MIDI nowadays? I doubt that Steinberg loses any potential customers over crashy cracked ST versions of their software.

As to why Steinberg doesn't release old ST software for free - maybe no one asked them nicely yet? :angel:

Actually, Steinberg has released the final versions of Cubase and Synthworks, as well as some tools and MROS drivers to the public. The software was on the CD of the German Keyboards magazine, issue 12/1999.

Attached is the readme file that explains it all (in German), dated April 26, 1999.

Also there still is the FTP site offering Cubase Audio Falcon, Cubase Audio CBX, Avalon and DMaker:
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Atari/

It should nonethless be noted that the released software will only be usable by those who own the appropriate security keys / dongles.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sehr geehrte Atari-User,

auf der Keyboards CD finden Sie die finalen Versionen von Cubase und
Synthworks sowie einige Tools und Mros-Treiber. Da sich die Firma
Atari 1994 vom Computermarkt zurueck gezogen hat, werden wir diese
Produkte definitiv nicht weiterentwickeln. Speziell die Druckertreiber
werden nicht mehr supportet. In diesem Fall muss man leider auf
entsprechende Emulationen oder Standarddruckertreiber ausweichen.

Viel Spass mit den Versionen wuenscht Ihr Steinberg Service Team
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 am

It is probable that Cubase contains IP from other companies that Steinberg doesn't own? They licensed during the period they sold Atari Cubase and if they were to provide it free they would have to seek the permission of the license holders? Some of the license holders could be out of business by now?

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:03 am

alexh wrote:It is probable that Cubase contains IP from other companies that Steinberg doesn't own? They licensed during the period they sold Atari Cubase and if they were to provide it free they would have to seek the permission of the license holders? Some of the license holders could be out of business by now?

There is a quite simple answer to that:
A lot of code developped for Cubase Atari is still used in today´s Cubase packages.

SoundDoctor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SoundDoctor » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:05 pm

One word - Yamaha
TT030 4mb/16mb/1Gb, Coco. Falcon 030 Stock 14mb (Lynxman), 1Gb CF. Falcon 030 Stock 14mb (Atari) 170mb IDE. Mega 1 (mash up labelled Mega 4) 4mb (Frontier XtraRam w/ SIPPs) ICD ADSpeed ST OverScan. Mega 4 (currently dead), Mega 2, 520 STe (SIPPs), 520 STFM.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:48 pm

ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Peteone
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Peteone » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

Atarieterno wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/download/guc70qd5dzj5527/Cubase_AUDIO_v2.06.ZIP

Will this work without the dongle?

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:20 am

Will this work without the dongle?

check the files, one is called: CUBCRACK.PRG
So yes, it works without the dongle. But it's only for Falcon (it's cubase audio, not the general midi sequencer)

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 am

During the start of Cubase Audio if we press the left Shift key: Cubase will work without the audio part, in a TT, Mega STe, etc.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

avtandil

Postby avtandil » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 am

dbsys wrote:
penguin wrote:How many people really use the ST to start with MIDI nowadays? I doubt that Steinberg loses any potential customers over crashy cracked ST versions of their software.

Actually, Steinberg has released the final versions of Cubase and Synthworks, as well as some tools and MROS drivers to the public. The software was on the CD of the German Keyboards magazine, issue 12/1999.

Does somebody have this CD ?

Several years ago I even asked that magazine - they told they don't have CD anymore...

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”