Cubase Audio Dongle Clone

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cubase Audio Dongle Clone

Postby Dal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:52 am

Not true. I have a red Cubase dongle yet I'm interested in preserving it somehow. They can fail.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Dal wrote:Not true. I have a red Cubase dongle yet I'm interested in preserving it somehow. They can fail.

Of course that's the goal now. I'm just thinking that maybe interest in such a thing wasn't so high 10 years ago. 20 years ago I'm sure the preferred modus operandi would be cracking the software rather than cloning dongles.

I have legitimate versions of various Atari music packages but it has always been Cubase 3 that I've wanted to own and felt most productive using. It has eluded me for many years (at a price I feel I can justify at least).
Member of the Atari Legend team

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:28 pm

I've investigated this a little further despite claiming i wouldn't do it :D

Cubase is actually using the dongle in a pretty clever way. There's the initial dongle test which is easy to find but doesn't tell much about the dongle. That routine sends the reset sequence of 128 0-bits, then the fixed request for the key is being sent. Then the dongle reset again.

And then only every now and then a bit is sent into the dongle. I see this happening when a file is being loaded and for each of the Edit menu entries. Even the score module does that and this request comes from within the score module which is loaded on demand and not part of main binary. I assume that this is also the reason for the cracked versions acting unreliable.

There are different ways to approach this. One is to watch cubase trying to access the dongle. This is actually pretty easy inside an emulator like hatari as this can be modified to report certain accesses and even interpret them. I can even watch cubase modify some of its internal variables when accessing the dongle (i see it incrementing a counter each time it accesses the dongle).But the cubase guys weren't stupid and it's everything but simple to figure out that exactly is done with the dongles reply.

A second approach is to watch the dongle itself. One could try to trace what cubase does with the dongle. Imho this is what you guys already tried.

But since it's pretty simple to write/read a bit from/to the dongle one could also try to send test patterns and watch the dongles reply. This is what any of you with a read dongle could do. So if one of you has a cubase dongle and knows how to use a c compiler or gfa basic or whatever you could e.g. try to send a single 1-bit followed by 127 0-bits into the dongle (of course after resetting it bfirst by sending 128 0-bits and ignoring the output during that). I'd like to know the dongles answer to this.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Ah, BTW: If one of you has a xr385, db50xg or db60xg he would like to sell: I'd like to buy one to build a small sound station out of one of my mist boards.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:25 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:Ah, BTW: If one of you has a xr385, db50xg or db60xg he would like to sell: I'd like to buy one to build a small sound station out of one of my mist boards.

Ok, got such a board, built a case, conneted it to the MIST and have a nice setup now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phqs-UzhIL4

I wonder is anyone is willing so donate/sacrifice a dongle. I'd like to connect it to a microcontroller and send test patterns though it.

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:10 am

MasterOfGizmo, I am willing to lend such a dongle, but can I be assured to get it back after you did your magic?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:04 am

rian_ata wrote:MasterOfGizmo, I am willing to lend such a dongle, but can I be assured to get it back after you did your magic?

uhm, no. something may happen, i may damage it. I'd thus rather buy one or simply get one donated. i am pretty confident ithat i won't damage it, but it may happen, anyway.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 pm

I've been told there's a version of the dongle using a intel P5C060. Does anyone have such a version? That'd be cool as this is a 16 macrocell CPLD. This type of chip would make perfect sense (and the OKI then probably also is a PLD or ASIC). And this would limit the size of the chips internal logic significantly as that chip has only 16 macrocells with one flip flop each.

Edit: Ah, stupid me. The first series of photos in this thread even shows that chip ...

Dio
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Dio » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:54 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:But the cubase guys weren't stupid and it's everything but simple to figure out that exactly is done with the dongles reply.

I've thought about this when trying to add extra debugging capabilities to an emulator.

It is possible to add extra tracing information to a CPU core. You can 'colour' values in memory (or registers) - essentially, just a 1-bit value - and track them to see how they affect other registers and memory. The result of any computation is the OR of all the colours involved; that result colour is written to any destination. So you can see how sources propagate to destinations in memory much like using the Trace feature in Excel.

There are things which the CPU core can't do automatically - flow control is one issue, once it hits a branch all it can do is colour that the branch was dependent upon the calculation, it can't propagate the colour to values only affected on a given branch, unless they happen to depend on the coloured registers still in place. But I suspect it would allow buried protection to be picked up relatively quickly compared to manual inspection.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 am

ive made my digital i/o card work over 40 i/o in 1MHz per i/o so anything in bus up to 40 i/o's or 40mhz overall
realtime capture over pci actual realtime on scoped digital capture scopes etc ... multichannel

so the pc can capture to the center of a vst vsm sim engine and the engine reacts in realtime pmsg pico message level 1/12
with proteus vsm http://www.labcenter.com/index.cfm

i have just decorated my main room and i am waiting to get stuff all set up again
i have malcoms 128kb key dongle falcon llevel fast plc chip but works with any version i still need to set up machines and do more tests
i am working with the falcon just now as the ddc is set up on it only for 0 -50mhz as a clock input in 0.01hz steps
i do need input from others esp cubase hackers!!!
but in the next few weeks i hope to start to RealTime capture the out and in pins of the dongle
and its control struct
then ill reform what bytes go where and when
be assured this is on going and i had to write a pci 40 ch io card to RT capture dll
before ill make it work
this also involved clocking the ST to below 1mhz
so you load the program at ~32-1mhz main clock run it with the dongle obvious
then slow the clock to 1mhz to read off what it does using a DDS clock synth
ie save load

if this isnt clear ill employ a 16 bit shift register to capture 16 bit blocks from the dongle
perhaps its better this way

as its a pymarid flag stuct of 128X128 bits then each function will have its own flag sets with some redundant

it makes it harder to decode 128 bit by 128bit it its structure
i assume as a square

or etc shape with a main flag and etc

need to do more work here for sure get my comps back online

after i capture a good few routines outcomes
ill pub it

till then you can look at the multidio.dll sources on my site its a frame work
you can embelish with any functions with in microsoft 1/MSG framework http://vsmlibs.host56.com/files/MULTIDIO.zip
mmsg umsg nmsg pmsg tmsg psmg etc 1/MSG = 1 message per second

so your callbacks set the message level within a display realm

ask for help or the 'guys version'

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:53 am

once i capture the just commands to the key
ill be able to map what it does

its a pity company's just dont publish there back cat
and get used to older machines

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am

Well Simbo that sounds quite promising. A bit of it went over my head though. I just look forward to the results you plan on publishing later.

I agree that it would be good for companies to release their old software officially when it hasn't been sold or supported for years. It's good customer relations. However it's easy to see why they don't; it just doesn't make them any immediate money.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:09 am

simbo2 wrote:once i capture the just commands to the key
ill be able to map what it does

I simply don't understand why you are using this extremely comlpex approach. You can even write a simple TOS program sending test patterns into the dongle and reading its return values.This way you could also send the most interesting test pattern like e.g. one single 1-bit followed by a stream of 0-bits.

Also cubase always sends the same 128-bit test pattern when testing for the dongle. Afterwards it only sends a single bit every now and then. So you'd probably not get many different resultls.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:11 am

simbo2 wrote:till then you can look at the multidio.dll sources on my site its a frame work
you can embelish with any functions with in microsoft 1/MSG framework http://vsmlibs.host56.com/files/MULTIDIO.zip

I don't use windows ...

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:44 pm

MoG, I only just saw your email due to my holidays and work etc. Here are the logs of the app you sent me to capture the response of the cubase dongle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GorT
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby GorT » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Don't mind me i'm just watching this unfold, looks promising.

Cheeers
Klaatu Barada Nikto

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:26 pm

I just got my hands on a black dongle labeled "Cubase" on one side and Steinberg on top. Inside lives a PAL16R8 wired up exactly as in viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13182

What is this? A Cubase 1 dongle?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:07 pm

I really need some help regarding the different dongle versions. I recently obtained the black dongle mentioned earlier. I am pretty sure i have fully understood its internal workings. Unfortunately i don't know which software it's supposed to protect. Cubase 2.01 doesn't like it. What else may this be? It's definitely labeled "Cubase".

And does one of you guys have a cubase 2 dongle?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 am

I have finished investigating the black dongle. It's a cubase 2 dongle, it's rather simple and I managed to recreate the chip inside. This is working nicely inside a real ST but it's unfortunately nearly impossible to run this inside an FPGA which was my goal.

I am pretty confident that the red cubase3 is better suited for a FPGA st. So i'll next look at that.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks for the progress report. Keep it up :D

docs
Atariator
Atariator

Postby docs » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 am

Hi Dal,

Did you test CAFCRACK? This software seems to be the result of an intensive work to bypass the CAF dongle and offering a perfect stability. It’s not a joke as lot of people has said.

I’m using it for several years with no problem. I also own a CAF dongle which is now always unplugged from my Falcon (my working place is tiny). I didn’t see any difference with the official version. I found no crash except with .ALL files generated from old buggy cracked versions. (MCA v3.x & v2.06)

CAF 2.06 works also on classic ST computers with audio engine disabled. CAFCRACK seems only have a problem with Score Module on ST but it works on Falcon.

CodeKiller
Atariator
Atariator

Postby CodeKiller » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi people,

Sorry to resurrect this old topic, but i've got some question.
Have anyone ever tried sidechannel-attacks? Monitoring the power consumption during steps, and/or near field probing (EM or HF field) ?

It should reveal how many feedback components are there and with properly chosen pattern it could reveal where they are.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:40 pm

have we ever asked steinberg for the details ????

worth a try... or a million hammers...
but serious
worth a try maybe one person signs a nda and produces 1000 like best usa did
and then makes 50 of each level etc not sure...

or perhaps some sort of ok... to use firmware,,,

too sell there software

dont know.,. but worth some email :contract: :P

perhaps with some sweet words
we can get a public licence to 16 bit stuff

you never know

if you dont ask you dont get...

letter a week shaw shank style....!!! :contract:
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:49 pm

while your there ask them for avalon 2 i want too add too it ?does someone have 2,1 update?

source ill take source.... :lol:

beel1
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby beel1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:29 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:This is all too vague. I'll give up ...

Edit: I've sent my findings so far to DAL, so someone interested in this may continue.

Hello,

I own a Steinberg Synthworks Wavestation software with its ROM-port dongle similar to the pictures of this thread. I still want to use this software but my STE is starting to fail, so I was looking for a way to use it in a emulator... I can't find a cracked version on the internet but I found your work on this thread which is looking promising.
Can your Hatari hacks be shared?

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”