Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

chrisnova777
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Cubase Audio Dongle Clone

Postby chrisnova777 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:34 pm

bump!
is this going to happen in our lifetime?

jrhansen
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jrhansen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:31 am

If it were as easy as "just" to clone the data from the cart It would propably been done already and could easily be put on a file for adding a virtual cart. However, I remember seeing a statement when Cubase 5 for the PC was finally cracked with a virtual device driver emulating the dongle, they stated it took some 20 or so man years to completely reverse-ingeneer the dongle, so people shouldn't expect them to do it each time steinberg changes the dongle encryption when a new version arives. Unfortunately I personally traded my Cubase Score Dongle from my ST in for the PC version. I gave up on Cubase ever becomming stable at version 2 on the PC. I think the first really usable version on the PC was SX 3.0 and several years into the PC line. And the 3.0 and 3.5 hacked versions was still wonky. But Steinberg actually waited updating the dongle (LPT port version) untill the usb version came out, so I could use the 3.x versions without a problem with the ver 2 dongle. Think the usb dongle was introduced with ver. 5.

Any reports how Cubase Score or Audio (Falcon) runs on MIST ? Can you actually connect an original Dongle to it ?

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:01 pm

jrhansen wrote:If it were as easy as "just" to clone the data from the cart It would propably been done already and could easily be put on a file for adding a virtual cart. However, I remember seeing a statement when Cubase 5 for the PC was finally cracked with a virtual device driver emulating the dongle, they stated it took some 20 or so man years to completely reverse-ingeneer the dongle, so people shouldn't expect them to do it each time steinberg changes the dongle encryption when a new version arives. Unfortunately I personally traded my Cubase Score Dongle from my ST in for the PC version. I gave up on Cubase ever becomming stable at version 2 on the PC. I think the first really usable version on the PC was SX 3.0 and several years into the PC line. And the 3.0 and 3.5 hacked versions was still wonky. But Steinberg actually waited updating the dongle (LPT port version) untill the usb version came out, so I could use the 3.x versions without a problem with the ver 2 dongle. Think the usb dongle was introduced with ver. 5.

Any reports how Cubase Score or Audio (Falcon) runs on MIST ? Can you actually connect an original Dongle to it ?

Would kind of need a cartridge port for that, right?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:10 pm

that's sorta the way I view it too,
lets all contribute to write a sequencer ,
instead of trying to dismantle some well written work....

our sequencer would include more features and functionality .....

only problem I see long term :
would referred to as the Cubase alike sequencer,

Cubase is the ultimate composer tool...
not a good sequencer ,

however a very strong compositional aid .

Charles
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

Miguel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Miguel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:49 pm

jrhansen wrote:If it were as easy as "just" to clone the data from the cart It would propably been done already and could easily be put on a file for adding a virtual cart. However, I remember seeing a statement when Cubase 5 for the PC was finally cracked with a virtual device driver emulating the dongle, they stated it took some 20 or so man years to completely reverse-ingeneer the dongle, so people shouldn't expect them to do it each time steinberg changes the dongle encryption when a new version arives. Unfortunately I personally traded my Cubase Score Dongle from my ST in for the PC version. I gave up on Cubase ever becomming stable at version 2 on the PC. I think the first really usable version on the PC was SX 3.0 and several years into the PC line. And the 3.0 and 3.5 hacked versions was still wonky. But Steinberg actually waited updating the dongle (LPT port version) untill the usb version came out, so I could use the 3.x versions without a problem with the ver 2 dongle. Think the usb dongle was introduced with ver. 5.

I never traded in any of my dongles for a new one, they just let me keep all the old ones.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:50 am

jrhansen wrote:Any reports how Cubase Score or Audio (Falcon) runs on MIST ? Can you actually connect an original Dongle to it ?

MiST does not have a ROM Port, so dongles cannot be attached, unfortunately.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”