Floppy preservation in 2016

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Floppy preservation in 2016

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Brume wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:I see often people trying to make money by selling some rare original floppy SW, instead imaging it. There is still lot of titles without good copy of original.

Do you mean titles without any copy of original (missing dump) or bad dump? If so, do you have some examples?
Thanks.

Both. At Atarimania is well visible is there STX, or in rares cases some ST/MSA image of original. I think that %-age of missing is pretty high, some 15% . There are certainly still some bad dumps, at some of them there is note about error and appeal to send good image.
Examples: missing dump: Uridium
Bad dump: can't remember at moment any
But there are some releases with errors too: http://www.atarimania.com/game-missing- ... 15997.html
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 10517.html

Indeed, Atarimania is currently site most active in supporting preservation by hosting images, SW database and related.
They want STX images as I know. Not sure will host some SCP or KryoFlux. Conversion is good in most cases.
There is way to stop global warming.

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:25 pm

public domain series, cover disks: http://downloads.atari-home.de/Public_Domain/

More folders besides PD to come (FTP servers backup (about 365.000 files), demo scene (65GB), ... but no commercial games/software due to risk)
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Atarimania is currently site most active in supporting preservation by hosting images, SW database and related.
They want STX images as I know

Forgive any ignorance on my part, but isn't STX only for emulators, as in it can't be written back to disk?
It seems it can image protected disks for use in an emulator which is great and therefore it has a purpose.
But other disks, not protected, shouldn't be saved in STX as it unnecessarily adds a limitation in where it can be used, for no real benefit.

An unprotected disk should be saved in something like .ST (?) format and a protected disk should be ripped using either STX or Kryoflux, perhaps the latter, as it means disks floppies can be written back via the Kryoflux as far a sI know (fairly recent update I think?).
I have a Kryoflux now and will play with it when I get time.

But I intend to save/provide Atari disks in formats than can be written back to floppy, there is no reason those images can't also be used by an emulator so no-one should be unhappy.
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Ijor can say more about: but it is not strictly for emulators. Writing of most images is possible, but it needs more work on. What may not be needed, as count of flux images raises. However, you need to know that STX images can be made with regular Atari ST and it's floppy drive, and that imaging of popular SW started over 10 years ago. So, number of such images is pretty much big. Basically, over 80% of all Atari SW is covered.
If some release is not copyprotected, you can easily convert STX image to ST. I have SW for that.

I think that count of people using emulators instead real HW is bigger, and it will be just more by time. Of course, with newer devices like KryoFlux or SCP you can do writable images, more accurate ones, so just enjoy it. And if possible share them. Situation is that count of those forensic images is much-much lower than of STX images. I would by myself one, but I just don't have enough floppies to image. Nothing rare, all is already images in STX, there is couple what is not yet images with Kryo or SCP. I had some mailing with Istvan about they borrowing me Kryoflux for couple weeks, but then whole mailing stopped.

Another problem at moment, as I see is about repository where can host those forensic images. SPS (Kryoflux) has some special policy, what I don't want to discuss here. Unfortunately, some still talk and maybe try to enforce some really useless and outdated laws, while floppies have no mercy - they just degrade, and if we do not preserve them soon (one way or another), some titles will be lost forever.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:57 pm

How do you convert non protected STX to ST?

I only recently bought my Kryoflux as I was waiting for the ability to write the images to disk with it without having to go through SPS.
I don't really agree with a lot of their policies in terms of them being gatekeepers. Single point of failure = bad.
I'll be putting whatever I image on my own servers and anywhere else I please.
The wider something is distributed the more chance it stands of survival.
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Here is program, Windows SW:
PastiCS.zip

I made it for my needs, there are options what you will not use most likely.
First click on Create info file and select STX image. That's necessary to get info about floppy geometry - how many sectors/track, count of sides, tracks. Will get txt file with same name as STX, open it with Notepad, and will see. Regular floppies have 9 or 10 sectors/track, 80 tracks, 1 or 2 sides. Automatic detection of parameters is hardly possible, because even unprotected floppies have often for instance 10 sect/track physically, but only 9 of it is used, so you need to type there 9 instead 10 if resulted ST image works not, shows not files ..
Some floppies are actually only 1 sided, but there is something on side B, and Pasti imaging all for case - maybe there is protection or whatever.
Then you need to check on A instead both. Then, may extract only side B as ST image - that is useful in some special cases.
There are other options, but I will not describe them. For conversion to ST is enough what I said. Just to add that DrCoolZic adding, or added same thing what is here called Shrink STX - dropping track dumps which are not used by protection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Thx!

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”