Atari ST image info...

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Atari ST image info...

Postby JimDrew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:19 pm

How are single sided disks handled compared to double sided disks for .ST and .MSA images? I can see that double-sided disks are sequential starting with the bottom head and then the top head. What about single sided disks?

It turns out that the data separator I made for emulating PAULA's disk controller works exceptionally well for Atari ST/IBM PC format. It will need a bit of tweaking to handle those odd WD1772 things, but it works perfect for decoding sectors so I can generate .ST and .MSA images.
I am the flux ninja

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Atari ST image info...

Postby Hippy Dave » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:13 am

JimDrew wrote:How are single sided disks handled compared to double sided disks for .ST and .MSA images? I can see that double-sided disks are sequential starting with the bottom head and then the top head. What about single sided disks?

It turns out that the data separator I made for emulating PAULA's disk controller works exceptionally well for Atari ST/IBM PC format. It will need a bit of tweaking to handle those odd WD1772 things, but it works perfect for decoding sectors so I can generate .ST and .MSA images.

A single sided drive has the head on the bottom (I checked). Combined the the info you just gave, you can draw further conclusions

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:22 am

I know where the head is, I just want to verify that a single sided disk is laid out sequentially, ignoring the top side, but not skipping any space in the file.
I am the flux ninja

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:43 am

Yes, the order is simply from track 0 to last track. Only bare sector data contents in row. That no gaps in case of SS is visible by image sizes too.
Drawback of ST (and DSK + some others likely) format is that you don't have disk geometry info. May read it from bootsector - if it is there. Lot of games have custom bootsector, but can image in ST format.
MSA adds header with geometry info + optional simple data packing. Otherwise, sector, side order is same as in ST.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:07 am

Perfect! Thanks for the info.
I am the flux ninja

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 am

Jim: have you made progress on the ST/MSA support? I have a bunch of 700 disks (non protected) to archive.

Until now, I used FastCopy on the STE, but I wonder if I can use SCP on the PC to do the job faster?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:50 pm

This is also on my todo list for Aufit :)

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:05 am

I have done nothing more with any formats... but I am going to start on C64 format this weekend while at CommVex, and since i will be in the code, it will finish the PC, Atari ST, and others systems that use the same format.
I am the flux ninja

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:49 pm

Brume wrote:Jim: have you made progress on the ST/MSA support? I have a bunch of 700 disks (non protected) to archive.

Until now, I used FastCopy on the STE, but I wonder if I can use SCP on the PC to do the job faster?

Just batch convert your ST/MSA files to SCP with the HxC software :wink:

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”