Ways how SW testing copy protection

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Ways how SW testing copy protection

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:31 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Perfect this what I was expectingfor checking of Macrodos / speedlock protection.
But did yuo found code to check that track 1 has an extra sector without data (ID segment without DATA segment) with weir content.
This can probably be done by using read address command (even though we have 7 sync sequence instead of 3) or by doing a read track and looking for 7 A1 followed by FF

No code for testing that weird seq. It may be just some glitch of multiplicator machine, or in purpose to confuse copy HW .
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:36 pm

not an expert in the way things are tested in games. But it might be that the macrodos is tested at program load and that this weird ID is tested later during game?
Because this sequence does not happen by accident and even though a bit different on the two version I have they have the same structure. So it is strange to place this for nothing??

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:31 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:not an expert in the way things are tested in games. But it might be that the macrodos is tested at program load and that this weird ID is tested later during game?
Because this sequence does not happen by accident and even though a bit different on the two version I have they have the same structure. So it is strange to place this for nothing??

That's possible, but not likely. Should play game thoroughly - because encryption you can not find code for floppy access in later stages.
Not strange having "placed for nothing" - I saw a lot of that.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Further examining/tracing shows that launcher in AUTO folder builds regular TOS executable using COLO2.IMG file . After it relocates and starts. That's very common way in case of SW using TOS executables. Starter is where copy protection is placed, and it will run main executable if test passed. Better case is like this, when main exec is not present on floppy, but is built is some way. Cracking is simple - you just need to save that RAM segment of TOS exec. built.
There may be additional copy protections or "manual protections", but that was used mostly in later releases.

IFW
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby IFW » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:28 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:not an expert in the way things are tested in games. But it might be that the macrodos is tested at program load and that this weird ID is tested later during game?

Maybe it has a different use - if the track was written in multiple passes this could be unique header used as reference point for writing.
On Amiga that is the exact purpose of a header like that for SpeedLock which is the Amiga version of the same protection as the MacroDOS keytrack by the same company; Speedlock Associates.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:27 pm

IFW wrote:

Maybe it has a different use - if the track was written in multiple passes this could be unique header used as reference point for writing.
On Amiga that is the exact purpose of a header like that for SpeedLock which is the Amiga version of the same protection as the MacroDOS keytrack by the same company; Speedlock Associates.

On CTA the format is MFM/MGITLS 10x512
and this extra iD is detected as Header block descriptor with
4 mark bytes in a first area followed by a second area with more standard header desc 3 mark + FF byte + trk + side + sect + len + 2CRC ...
and correctly a backward gap of 8 $0

So must be here for some reason?

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Since your versions are different, maybe this is an info stamp? Like the current date, serial number of the disk, etc.?
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:37 pm

IFW wrote:

Colorado header block located end of track
colorado-HB.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:22 pm

This is another question for IFW

back to Jupiter master drive viewtopic.php?f=102&t=25854&hilit=jupiter+master&start=250#p248303

I have analyzed JMD with CTA and I am surprised
jmd.PNG

at start of track after the seq of 4E we have a first sync with C2 and after the famous C2 A1 that should be in fact decoded as C2 0B
We can see that Aufit does not decode correctly but what is surprising is CTA
it also displays a1 cd b4 ... but the first C2 is decoded as 29 followed by 55 42 49 4e 4e and the second C2 is also decoded as 29
So results are even worse than Aufit?
Do you understand why ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IFW
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby IFW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Because as I said many times, it is NOT decoded.
It is literally the values translated from MFM to byte values.

IFW
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby IFW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:38 pm

btw: nice touch the "dead code" in hex after the protection bytes - take a look ;)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:38 pm

IFW wrote:Because as I said many times, it is NOT decoded.
It is literally the values translated from MFM to byte values.

I have toi get used to this :)
In other word this is the MFM values feeded to the mastering machine. Right?

IFW
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby IFW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:40 pm

...plus the copyright Ubisfot before ;)
()UBI

Funny guys :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:40 pm

IFW wrote:btw: nice touch the "dead code" in hex after the protection bytes - take a look ;)

Yes discussed in detail here viewtopic.php?f=102&t=25854&hilit=jupiter+master&start=250#p248303

IFW
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby IFW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Yes, CTA has always been strictly for mastering the disks, so there is no emulation for how the various FDC sees the data once read, which can be fairly different... not just on ST :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:43 pm

IFW wrote:...plus the copyright Ubisfot before ;)
()UBI

Funny guys :)

Cool it does not show in the "decoded" bytes

IFW
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby IFW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Just look in the middle for the ANSI text - it's even the highlighted line :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:57 pm

IFW wrote:Just look in the middle for the ANSI text - it's even the highlighted line :)

Yes I can see that 28 29 55 42 49 () UBI
But when read by WD1772 it becomes 28 C2 00 1C 92 10 90 :lol:

Now if we shift 1 bit left (or 7 bits rigth) we get
jmd-1.PNG

Here we can see or expected c2 00 1c 92 10 90 + following c2 sync mark
and following a1 sync mark will put back the ... dead code ... and of course been transformed to 0B

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:16 am

Jean, I noticed that your website has reverted back "last updated" August 2012, and no longer has links to SCP info because of this. Did you know this?
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks Jim
I have no idea what happen but apparently several pages of my site have reverted to old versions ...
I am spending minimum time on maintaining the site and it is probably time to do some clean-up
So be prepared to some instability for the coming days

I suppose you were talking about the "Front page" http://info-coach.fr/atari/index.php
But anyway I will check most of the pages and links ...

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:21 pm

Yeah, it was odd. I periodically check your site and thought "oh he has updated it", then I saw many things were missing and noticed the last updated date. It looks "new" now! :)
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:55 pm

JimDrew wrote:Jean, I noticed that your website has reverted back "last updated" August 2012, and no longer has links to SCP info because of this. Did you know this?

Hopefully most problem should be fixed
Let me know if you still find broken things :(

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:59 pm

JimDrew wrote:Yeah, it was odd. I periodically check your site and thought "oh he has updated it", then I saw many things were missing and noticed the last updated date. It looks "new" now! :)

I am updating links on Atari image file format
About SCP format http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/FD-Images.php#scp
What is the best link to get updated latest version of the file?

http://www.cbmstuff.com/downloads/scp_image_specs.txt
http://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16

or both ?

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:54 am

Either, the file comes from the same location (download link).
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:00 am

JimDrew wrote:Either, the file comes from the same location (download link).

Thanks
may be you should add a visible link in the http://www.cbmstuff.com/downloads.htm download page?

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”