AUFIT Program

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: AUFIT Program

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:54 pm

New release of Aufit V0.2c bug fix & rotation speed adjustment

- Now the timing displayed take in account the rotation speed. This is mainly visible in the histogram. Now should be more centered to 4 6 8 ... But should not have influence on file generated due to DPLL
- Fixed slightly incorrect display when NFA over index (extremely rare)
- More robust handling of ID just on top of the index (computer hits vol 2)

Now it seems that all files tested convert correctly 8)
Let me know if you have problem

PS. Blood money was a strange problem: did not work with Steem 3.5.4 but after switching some flags now it works but you have to be in STE mode.
Aufit0.2c.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:10 pm

New release of Aufit V0.3a - Detect incomplete data, NFA correctly displayed, More robust

- In some cases (shifted track) it is necessary to image several revolutions. This new version detects when not enough revolutions have been imaged.
- Ask permission to write Pasti file if incomplete data
- NFA over index is now displayed correctly when reading from KryoFlux (SCP still not perfect)
- Improved graphs
- updated documentation
- Should be much more robust when reading really bad images
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:29 pm

New release of Aufit V0.3b - Bug fix release for NFA over index with SCP file

- NFA over index was not displayed correctly when reading from an SCP file
- Button matrix uses bigger button

This release only contains the Aufit executable. Just copy over
Aufit-v0.3b.rar

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:14 am

Just a bug report : If i try a "Disk Layout" with powerdrift_diskb_mitsudrive.scp i got this :

Image5.jpg

Retry/Ignore lead to a crash.

EDIT : Got the same error with the "Protections" function.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:06 pm

New Release V0.4a February 23, 2014 New Entropy, Double sided Disk layout, FDC more robust, SCP more robust
- New Shannon entropy computation (following exact definition). unformatted limit defined in Global set to 6.5
- usage of new entropy in different modules
- ClockDrawing can now correctly handle clock min = max
- DiskWindow: now the two sides of Disk is drawn for Layout and Data. Size set as const in one place (easier to modif)
Reference line in code, finer line (fine/heavy is now const for easy modif). Reference is now horizontal (pi/2 before)
- FDC more robust: when reference not found call recursively (still need to investigate).
Fix wrong ID CRC when SWS
- Flux drawing: dot radius fixed, color based on cbLimitFlux
- Main: clear infoBox before call to ReadSCP (so we keep info), fixed call layout double side
- ReadSCP: skip invalid short track. Compute min max after firstFlux correction

No new documentation yet... but good to know that the Disk Layout and Disk Data windows can be re-sized dynamically

Aufit-v0.4a.rar

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:32 pm

New Release V0.4b March 1, 2014 PreSync bug fix / Fuzzy compare bug fix / Better Disk data / New color scheme / New Doc
- New documentation
- New color scheme: different colors for track with data but no sector (see doc)
- PreSync in readTrack: Fix problem with Barbarian and Falcon
- Fix problem of sector not found for bad input image
- Improved Disk Data dispay

New documentation ... forgot to mention that the Disk Layout and Disk Data windows can be re-sized dynamically

greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby greatguy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:59 am

Is this normal for a disk with Rob Norton protection?

Code: Select all

Track 00.0 Sect 6 has CRC error in data field
Track 00.0 Sect 6 has fuzzy bits
Track 00.0 Sect 6 Long sector 17289 µs (489 bytes over clocked)
Swedish retro computer fair
http://www.retrogathering.se

greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby greatguy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:38 am

I have a small request.
I would like to be able to open compressed SCP-files directly in the Aufit program. (Zip & 7z for example)
Is this doable?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:50 pm

greatguy wrote:Is this normal for a disk with Rob Norton protection?

Yes ;)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:51 pm

greatguy wrote:I have a small request.
I would like to be able to open compressed SCP-files directly in the Aufit program. (Zip & 7z for example)
Is this doable?

Yes it is doable but there is a long list of must do before this one :(

greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby greatguy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 am

I know that you have a long list of things to do on Aufit, but I'd like to add one more item if that's okay with you. :wink:

One thing that I really miss is that I cannot save a log file when creating a pasti image. Should be really nice to include such a log file when sharing files with others. :D

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm

greatguy wrote:I know that you have a long list of things to do on Aufit, but I'd like to add one more item if that's okay with you. :wink:

One thing that I really miss is that I cannot save a log file when creating a pasti image. Should be really nice to include such a log file when sharing files with others. :D

Sounds a good idea

greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby greatguy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:33 pm

I have made an SCP image of Police Quest 2 that causes Aufit to crash.
Have also made an image from a different set of Police Quest 2 disks, and that version loads just fine in Aufit.

I include a link to the faulty and working image if you're interested in finding out what causes the program to crash in the first place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f50tq7dh2by5d2a/Police%20Quest%202%20Disk2.7z
Police Quest 2 Disk2 [U1].SCP (Working image)
Police Quest 2 Disk2 [U2].SPC (Image that causes the crash)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:13 pm

New release V0.4c March 15, 2014 Better sync display, Fix bug Starglider 2 & PoliceQuest 2, Grid splitter clock/flux
- Fix bug for invalid id containing F7 (starglider 2) viewtopic.php?f=102&t=25854&start=350#p248533
- Fix bug for PoliceQuest 2 viewtopic.php?f=102&t=25906&p=249564#p249564 (indexTimePosition becoming negative)
- The sync character in "Disk Data" display were very small and difficult to see. Now they are bigger
- Added Grid Splitter between flux and clock graphs. You can now re-size the relative size of flux and clock charts by dragging the grid splitter (light blue line between the two graphs)

This is a bug fix release that contains only the executable. Unrar and replace executable

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:13 pm

greatguy wrote:I have made an SCP image of Police Quest 2 that causes Aufit to crash.
Have also made an image from a different set of Police Quest 2 disks, and that version loads just fine in Aufit.

I include a link to the faulty and working image if you're interested in finding out what causes the program to crash in the first place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f50tq7dh2by5d2a/Police%20Quest%202%20Disk2.7z
Police Quest 2 Disk2 [U1].SCP (Working image)
Police Quest 2 Disk2 [U2].SPC (Image that causes the crash)

Thanks for submitting the bug the new release 0.4c fix the bug

greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby greatguy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:46 am

I get this error on a couple of the SCP images I've created, still the pasti image created seems to work flawlessly.
What exactly does this error mean?

Track 41.1 Sect 9 has invalid characters:  1 in inter gap

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:48 am

greatguy wrote:I get this error on a couple of the SCP images I've created, still the pasti image created seems to work flawlessly.
What exactly does this error mean?

Track 41.1 Sect 9 has invalid characters:  1 in inter gap

This is not an error! Aufit before writing Past file has to do a "protection analysis" of the Floppy Disk to find all potential protections.
For the list of protections currently checked by Aufit please refer to the documentation. Each time a potential protection is discovered the button in the track matrix is in red.

For more details on protections refer to my document "Atari Floppy Disk Copy Protection" that you can find at viewtopic.php?f=95&t=21952
This document is rather old and I am working on a new version that I hope to be able to publish soon.

For the protection invalid character look at page 9 of the document

5.1.6 Invalid Data in Gap
 Description: During the format command any character loaded into the data register of the WD1772 is written to the disk with a normal clock pattern. However the characters $F5 and $F6 are used to write the Synch Marks and the character $F7 is used to generate of two CRC bytes. This implies that it is not possible to have a character ranging from 245 through 247 ($F5-$F7) inside any of the GAPs7. Reading these characters into GAPs requires using a read-track command. In order to read these invalid characters correctly with the read-track command it is recommended to precede them with one or several sync character.
 Creation: It is not possible with the WD1772 to write a character within the range 245-247 in any GAP. Therefore writing any of these characters into GAPs requires special hardware.
 Detection: Can easily be done with a read-track command.
 Duplication: Require special hardware.
 Preservation: It is necessary to save the content of the track in the preservation file.
 Example: Operation Neptune Track 50, Dragon Flight (???)

The fact that there is only one invalid character indicates that probably this has not been done on purpose and is probably due to the WD1772 loosing sync between sector.

Also remember that the fact that "protections" are discovered by Aufit does not indicates a problem. On the contrary it indicates that Aufit successfully detects protections in order to write a correct Pasti file :)

greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby greatguy » Mon May 19, 2014 6:49 pm

I tried to make an STX from my fully working Chambers Of Shaolin SCP image without success. First I thought it was due to some emulation problem in Steem, but the Atari Mania version boots just fine.
The SCP images are sampled with four revolutions and disks written from them works on real hardware.

Files attached below.

Chambers.Of.Shaolin.zip

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:16 pm

For information new release V1.2 of my document "Atari Floppy Disk Copy Protection". Hopefully contains a lot of information about copy protections used on Atari platform
This is a major rewrite that can be found at viewtopic.php?f=95&t=21952&p=253989#p253989

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm

greatguy wrote:I tried to make an STX from my fully working Chambers Of Shaolin SCP image without success. First I thought it was due to some emulation problem in Steem, but the Atari Mania version boots just fine.
The SCP images are sampled with four revolutions and disks written from them works on real hardware.

Files attached below.

Chambers.Of.Shaolin.zip

Can you provide test ccase (scp files)?
How many revolutions where sampled?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Hello I just wanted to let you know that we are getting close to beta release of the new Aufit.

What’s new in new Aufit?
Let’s first start by things you probably do not care too much.

Last published version was starting to be a mess internally. So I decided to rewrite a large portion with new internal structures and new code. So hopefully the program should be more stable and more open to some new features that I have in mind. You will get some benefit from this rewrite has many reported problems have been fixed. Another side effect should much better performance especially if you run on multi-core machine. The program can now benefit from multi-threading (up to 168) for both reading and processing the data. To give you an idea I have tested the program on a machine with a core i7-2600K at 3.4GHz and a hybrid tablet with a slow core i3-2775M at 1.5 MHz. Reading and full processing of the Turrican game with 5 revolutions sampled takes less than 4 sec (reading) + 10 sec (processing) on the “big” machine and less than 10 sec + 45 sec on the tablet. But be aware that while processing the data your CPU utilization will get close 100%!

So what are the most useful changes for you? Apart from better performance and more robust code here is an unordered list of new or improved features (attached more detail release file):
    - New and hopefully cleaner GUI. I have tried to keep simple to use while adding more capabilities. The major change is that the bottom part of the main window provides 5 different views (track, disk, data, analysis, and saving), and you can switch from one to the other simply using tabs…
    - New stream decoder (thanks to IFW at SPS) that fix, among others, the Jupiter masterdrive bug.
    -Writing of Pasti files now uses optimization (sector in track data) to produce smaller files. The program provided an automatic recovery mode that automatically select good data (if available) from different revolutions in case of images of bad quality. This combined with a powerful DPLL should maximize the chance to correctly convert stream files. Display of information about success or problem while writing file.
    - Program automatically checks for newer version and offer you to directly install from the net.
    - The FDC emulation is largely rewritten and should more accurately emulate the WD1772 behavior. Also performance have been improved by reading all sectors in one pass in most cases.
    - More protections are tested (see documentation)
    - Many new capabilities in the GUI to save pictures and textual results.
    - Several ways to load images: using a browser (simplified use model from 0.4), using drag and drop from Window explorer, using file association (program starts and loads by double clicking stream files).
    - Handle correctly NFA over index (only when reading Kryoflux files).
    - Position and size of window saved so you can customize and retrieve your settings.
    - Lots and lots of problem fixed (but unfortunately probably some more exists).
    - and more :)
The program is still not fully debug, but I have tested it on enough test cases that I think is is ready for beta test. So if you are interested to become a beta tester you can try it and of course report problems.

The beta version will be 0.9 followed by two numbers generated by Visual studio: a first number that indicates the number of days since year 2000 and a second number that indicates how many seconds since beginning of the day. So only the three first numbers will be significant. For example at time of this writing the current version is 0.9.5498.31220. If beta test goes well we should be able to move to version 1.0 soon.

I am still working on the documentation and finishing some tests so get ready for a release in the coming days …

Maartau
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Maartau » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:52 pm

[smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_01.gif]

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Nice one. Is it worth me redoing the ones that failed in the past with previous versions of AuFit? Or should I redo the Kryoflux images first and then use the new Aufit when it's available?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:41 am

Mug UK wrote:Nice one. Is it worth me redoing the ones that failed in the past with previous versions of AuFit? Or should I redo the Kryoflux images first and then use the new Aufit when it's available?

It is probably faster just to try the new version of Aufit (should be able to release today or tomorrow).

But as far as I know only few disks conversion did not work with version 0.4c. This includes all disk with magic sequence in read track like dragonflight, jupiter master drive, union (and may be some others)
see viewtopic.php?f=104&t=27448&p=266010#p265938

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:25 am

Aufit 0.9.5489.31220
Here it is :)

This is the first time I use the Microsoft OneClick technology so I hope it will work :oops:
Download and click setup this should install the program either directly or download pieces from my Web?
Let me know if it does not works (and if it works).

Also included in this download is the preliminary documentation

This is beta software so I will appreciate to know what works and what does not work.
Aufit uses WPF technology that I am still learning so there are still few cases where graphic performance is not good ...
Known problems:
- use the NFA flag in the disk view with care as the display can sometimes take forever.
- Protection that uses 70 sectors per track is a bit slow. But do not try to wtite sector content for this kind of track as it take forever to writes the 150 pages content :)
- current release is debug version and contains assertion checks. If you see strange message you can try to hit continue and please report

Enjoy

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”