AUFIT Program

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Re: AUFIT Program

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45 pm

crackdown disk 1 dumped with kryoflux as raw stream files :

https://app.box.com/s/zj6hf5gyil6epn2dekbr

EDIT : even better, i have redumped the 2 disks on my atari ST, and guess what, it works under steem !

https://app.box.com/s/3qjzgfzbyxd5hms7y2md
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:crackdown disk 1 dumped with kryoflux as raw stream files :

EDIT : even better, i have redumped the 2 disks on my atari ST, and guess what, it works under steem !

Thanks very much just one last request do you have the KF stream files for disk ?

and this is perfect to have the stx file so I can compare
I will look at the images tomorow

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:crackdown disk 1 dumped with kryoflux as raw stream files :

Thanks very much just one last request do you have the KF stream files for disk ?

and this is perfect to have the stx file so I can compare
I will look at the images tomorow

The floppy drive i use with KF and SCP is not handling correctly the floppy disks if they are too old.....

I guess i will have to either clean the head or change the drive.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:07 pm

I have looked at the disk 1 done with KF
It seems like the FD is in bad shape the tracks 1-4 have a lot of garbage and it used to crash Aufit (no all fixed).
But track of interest 08.0 ID over index

And track 79.0 this track has non formated area at end of track that generate fuzzy bits but not inside a sector so it is ignored but sector 6 has a lot of protection that I need to anlyze I will let you know

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:08 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:The floppy drive i use with KF and SCP is not handling correctly the floppy disks if they are too old.....

I guess i will have to either clean the head or change the drive.

Never mind. Wont be able to generate Pasti from the files but still interesting protections to look at
Thanks

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 pm

You need to get a drive head cleaner kit!!
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:04 pm

New version 0.2a of the program.

Major change from 0.1b is the capability to write Pasti files. This is still experimental but should work.

- Lot of bug fixes so the program should be able to read most images even if input is not good quality.
- The Track buffer and Sector Buffer reports have been improved.
- Now Buffer display uses the currently displayed revolution. This allow to compare the decoded data for the different revolutions.
- This version includes a reasonable documentation with added information about usage of the program, about protection analysis, and Writing Pasti files. Added a new complete section about analysis of the quality of the imaged floppy disks.

This new version contains most of the features planned for first round.
You should be able to read SCP file (including the coming support for No Flux Area / Strongbits) and Kryoflux stream file. Full analysis of protections, and now you should be able to write Pasti STX file directly from flux transition input :)

I have only tested on few test cases and this seems to work. Currently the files generated are very “conservative” and therefore a lot of information is written and making bigger than normal file but it should work in all cases (apart from bugs! :oops: )

If you can try and let me know if you were successful I would appreciate.

One thing important if you try to write Past file is to make sure of the quality of the image.
I have added a chapter on the subject so please read it before creating Pasti file. Obviously if you are starting with a bad image you won’t be able to get a working Pasti file.
In coming version I will make more checking to help determine if the image has problem but for now it is visual.

Aufit02a.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Great, thank you very much!
I was waiting for it, you made it!
Now, it's time to test it for me ;)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Brume wrote:Great, thank you very much!
I was waiting for it, you made it!
Now, it's time to test it for me ;)

Let me know if it works. :mrgreen:

But again be careful using good images. On the images you have sent me about 50% are not good. :cry:

As mentioned in the doc even if you have diskettes that works on Atari that does not mean you can create good images. Some reason are using different floppy drives and the fact that the Atari performs automatically retries when read fails.

I will continue to add information about quality of images started in this thread viewtopic.php?f=95&t=25934

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:39 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Let me know if it works. :mrgreen:

Yes, it works fine with the disks I tried! Thank you very much for this very nice addition :D

DrCoolZic wrote:But again be careful using good images. On the images you have sent me about 50% are not good. :cry:

True, but all the disks were imaged before I start to clean up my floppy drive (and the disks when necessary). I'm the process to re-image the disks with KF and SCP ;)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:54 pm

I have found that several images created with Aufit do not work! I am working on the problem

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:55 pm

I need help!

I have converted the Back to future Game with the Aufit program. This game is apparently protected by a Rob Northen protection.
It seems that this is the same protection as described by Sarnau at http://www.sarnau.info/atari:protection_mighty_bombjack
  • First sector number is function of track number
  • Sector 6 slower
  • First 16 bytes equal to specific value
The clock used for the bit cell changes inside sector 6 from period 2000 to 2100. There are almost always one flux transition in the region where the clock changes which is out of normal range.
On a real Atari this results sometimes (but not always) in fuzzy bits because the bit after the glitch are shifted.

I have tested the fuzzy bytes for this game on a real Atari using my Panzer v0.22 program viewtopic.php?f=94&t=25114&start=25#p237714
setting the test to 5 revolutions and it is about fifty-fifty to get fuzzy bytes.

The DPLL in Aufit is apparently better than the WD1772 as I always read the same result (never fuzzy bytes)!
I therefore simulate fuzzy bytes in this specific case. Usually the first 30 bytes are read correctly and after the bytes are changed.

Now I am generating a stx file that looks exactly similar to the stx file generated by the Pasti imager. (I have remove all optimizations so the file contains all the sector data …)
To compare the two files I am using my Pasti Reader viewtopic.php?f=47&t=19904&start=25#p244419

But when I load the file under steem it does not work!
I am a complete ignorant in debugging code under steem or Hatari so if someone can have a look and find why the program do not load I would appreciate.

The files are at https://mega.co.nz/#!90hTHaxA!Vz9RdDHG0 ... a3SFJfZfjU

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 pm

Here both files seems to work on the real machine (with an usb hxc).

But the track viewer confirm that there is no fuzzy bits in your file.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 am

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:Here both files seems to work on the real machine (with an usb hxc).

But the track viewer confirm that there is no fuzzy bits in your file.

Thanks Jeff this is very interesting. I wonder why it does not work under Steem? May be a hidden check in the the Pasti DLL
All information seems good especially the bit position and sector timings. They are very close and should not create problems.
I have asked Steven Seagal to look at the problem under Steem.

Regarding Fuzzy bits this is very strange. On a real Atari machine most of the time the sector is read the same (no fuzzy bits) but Pasti imager detect it as fuzzy sector.
With scp and kryoflux images of the game I always read the sector the same. As I said I have artificially created fuzzy bytes for this sector (to be as close as possible as what is generated by Pasti imager) but according to Sarnau this does not seems to be part of the protection. Only the 24 bytes or so are checked and these ones are never fuzzy? So I might remove this patch.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:53 am

I found the problem bit 5 of trackFlags has be be set to 1 so readTime in sector descriptor is used
Explanation in viewtopic.php?f=47&t=19904&p=244675#p244675
Now it works new version of Aufit to come soon that fix this problem.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 am

FYI I have also removed the patch that was adding Fuzzy byutes and rogram works perfectly.
So it seems that Aufit in this case does a bit better than Pasti Imaging :)

Also In Aufit I have implemented the file optimization described in Pasti documentation: when a sector reads the same as what has been saved in the track data then the sector is not saved in the sector data. This is a semi nightmare to implement and in fact recent version of Pasti imaging program does not use it anymore :) So for example Back to future saved by Pasti is 1818 KB and Saved by Aufit 1393 KB (this is with 3 extra tracks!)

So a bit more tests and new version of Aufit to come with hopefully much more successful conversions

Back to future III converted
https://mega.co.nz/#!5ppQ2ApS!a53KWy9g9 ... 3F2Mpy480E

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 pm

New release of Aufit V0.2b bug fix - just replace the executable

- fix trackFlag bug see above
- CRC stored in reverse order to be same as Pasti
- optimize flag not set for safety
- fixed bug in sector position (startBit)

Still some stx files not working I am investigating ....
Aufit02b.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Thank you :)
I'll test it tonight.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:16 pm

With version 0.2b almost all games I have tried seems to convert correctly.
The only two problems are "Au nom de l'Hermine" and Blood Money
But for blood money even the Pasti generated version does not seems to work? this seems to be a Steem problem from what I understand.
Au nom de l'hermine uses 70 sectors on track 79.0. I think I have another game that uses the same protection I have to find it!

EDIT
Actually I have found it it is Fire and Forget and it seems to convert correctly?

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:20 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Au nom de l'hermine uses 70 sectors on track 79.0. I think I have another game that uses the same protection I have to find it!

I managed to produce a STX version of Au Nom de l'hermine with Aufit (with the previous version).
It worked fine with the RAW stream done with KF.
With SPC, I had to redo the dump: with 2 revolutions, the game stopped at the first screen. It works now with 4 revolutions.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:23 pm

can you put the scp version on your ftp site

EDIT
In fact the conversion seems to be ok. Apparently the game does not start automatically.
You have to open the disk A and click the loader.prg :)

So now I only have one game not working and It look like it is not a problem with Aufit :mrgreen:

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Yes, no problem. You'll get it in a few hours (as soon as I'm back at home).

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:03 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:With version 0.2b almost all games I have tried seems to convert correctly.
The only two problems are "Au nom de l'Hermine" and Blood Money
But for blood money even the Pasti generated version does not seems to work? this seems to be a Steem problem from what I understand.
Au nom de l'hermine uses 70 sectors on track 79.0. I think I have another game that uses the same protection I have to find it!

EDIT
Actually I have found it it is Fire and Forget and it seems to convert correctly?

Au nom de L'hermine use the STARTER protection (it's the grand sister of the amstrad CPC KBI-19 sectors of the same duplicator).

Here is the story : KBI (Klein Boussuge Informatique), was a french duplicator based in the Saint-Cloud in the West of Paris. At a moment the company was renamed KB STARTER. STARTER was the new name of their long track protection, duplicated on 'Trace Mountain' Unix duplication machines.

Au nom de l'hermine on amstrad CPC use a KBI-19 (for 19 sectors), while 16-bits machines like atari and amiga use one called 'STARTER'. This one was used by Loriciel, Silmarils, titus, ere informatique and maybe infogrames. The starter protection use 70 sectors.

look at Teenage Queen from Ere, it uses the starter-70 sectors protection. Pasti is unable to image it, while Super CARD pro can image it. And aufit can make STX files out of SCP and KF files for games using this protection, which is great :)

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:59 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:look at Teenage Queen from Ere, it uses the starter-70 sectors protection. Pasti is unable to image it, while Super CARD pro can image it. And aufit can make STX files out of SCP and KF files for games using this protection, which is great :)

Are you sure? On my side, Pasti can make a STX file of Teenage Queen from Ere. At least it did it two weeks ago (before DrCoolZic released Aufit). Which version do you have? I have the two disks version, and it has the STARTER protection on it and Pasti made STX w/o problem.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Brume wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:look at Teenage Queen from Ere, it uses the starter-70 sectors protection. Pasti is unable to image it, while Super CARD pro can image it. And aufit can make STX files out of SCP and KF files for games using this protection, which is great :)

Are you sure? On my side, Pasti can make a STX file of Teenage Queen from Ere. At least it did it two weeks ago (before DrCoolZic released Aufit). Which version do you have? I have the two disks version, and it has the STARTER protection on it and Pasti made STX w/o problem.

When i got Teenage Queen in 2 disk original release before my father burned the house, pasti was unable to image the Starter protection track on each of my atari (STF and STE). It exited with an error message like "too many sectors on this track" or something like that.

With Aufit, and my KF stream file dump, i made STX files two hands tied in the back :)

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”