A year later

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Peteone
Retro freak
Retro freak

A year later

Postby Peteone » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:42 am

Last year I have refurbished 1040 STE installed 4MB and CosmosEX. Everything is working but I kind of abandoned it as I couldn't figure how to make some stuff work. I did talk to Miro on Facebook but we kind of lost contact. Today I wanted to get back to it and see if I can have some fun with it. Unfortunately, just like last year, I'm stuck again. :( I would really love to play some old games from my childhood. if someone could spare some time and guide me through few things id really appreciate it. This might be a lengthy thread, but I would like to start with few questions.

1. I'm Polish and I remember a company called LK Avalon back in the day that produced a lot of games. I found a lot of them on this website. http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct= ... =Fred#Fred - here is one for example called Fred. I was wondering if any of these files like .xex .cas .atr can be converted to ".ST" or ".MSA" so I can use the cosmosEX Floppy Emulator?

2. Is there some decent easy to follow guide how to format your SD card properly so I can use it as an HD?

3. Is there a guide how to set up your PC shared folder so I can access it on Atari? Example P:\ drive - I can easily o it on MAC but having hard time with PC. I created c:\Atari folder and shared it on my network I can access it with another PC but no go on cosmoex - Network is set up as DHCP and I'm using IP address of my PC. No username and no password in cosmosex settings. Can take screenshots.

I think this would be a good start.Thank you for any help.

PS: If needed I can set up Teamviewer Session and screenshare and would be glad to paypal few bucks for help - if its easier for someone to walk me through, I just need someone to show me whats up once.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Re: A year later

Postby ggn » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:11 am

Peteone wrote:1. I'm Polish and I remember a company called LK Avalon back in the day that produced a lot of games. I found a lot of them on this website. http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct= ... =Fred#Fred - here is one for example called Fred. I was wondering if any of these files like .xex .cas .atr can be converted to ".ST" or ".MSA" so I can use the cosmosEX Floppy Emulator?

Short of using emulation (ST Xformer) on the ST, nope. Your best bet is to get a Atari XL or XE series. There is so much difference between 8 and 16 bit Atari series that it's not easy to simply convert the disk images to ST format.

Peteone wrote:2. Is there some decent easy to follow guide how to format your SD card properly so I can use it as an HD?

Try http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/Cos ... _Guide.pdf or http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=192 in HDDRIVER or ICDPRO links.

Peteone wrote:3. Is there a guide how to set up your PC shared folder so I can access it on Atari? Example P:\ drive - I can easily o it on MAC but having hard time with PC. I created c:\Atari folder and shared it on my network I can access it with another PC but no go on cosmoex - Network is set up as DHCP and I'm using IP address of my PC. No username and no password in cosmosex settings. Can take screenshots.

I don't have hands-on experience with networking macs - would it be possible to try using a linux or windows machine? At least I have samba settings for setting up a share on linux.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Peteone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Peteone » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 pm

1. Thanks, I didn't realize these were 8 bit... I guess I'm looking in the wrong place.

2. Thanks

3. Not sure if I understand your answer. I can do it on a Mac no problem. PC is the Issue.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:35 am

Peteone wrote:3. Not sure if I understand your answer. I can do it on a Mac no problem. PC is the Issue.

Sorry, I misread that part. For clarity, what version of Windows are you using?

Peteone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Peteone » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:34 pm

windows 10

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:44 am

Okay, I just managed to share my steem folder on windows 10 to the network and by extension the CosmosEx. Here's more or less what I did:

• Right click on folder to share, click properties, go to sharing tab
  • Press share button
  • Not sure if needed but I added "guest" user on the list
  • Click share
  • Open the old control panel, not the new metro style one (\windows\system32\control.exe)
  • Go to network and internet->network and sharing center->advanced sharing settings
  • Click on "use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" from all fields
  • Click save changes
  • Receive bacon

I'm sure that everyone's mileage may vary here. I had to do all that fiddling with control panel because none of my machines are password protected, so when I first tried to connect to them using CosmosEx I'd get a "password expired" error. Not any more! So if your machines are password protected then this might not be needed at all.

Anyway, give this a shot and let us know how it goes for you.

Peteone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Peteone » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:44 am

ggn wrote:
  • Click on "use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" from all fields

I =missed that part. However, I started from scratch and followed your instructions.

going to post some screenshots

1. Shared Folder Setup

2. XPS is the name of this laptop; It is connected to WIFI on the same network as cosmosex is sitting on, although cosmosex connects through LAN cable.

3. Here are my standard network settings - I don't have an IP address assigned to this laptop just using DHCP. I get my IP address from online whatsmyip.com or something similar to enter it in cosmosex settings.

4. cosmosex settings

5. and here is the error.
Last edited by Peteone on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 am

I can't see any pics sadly. However, this caught my attention

Peteone wrote:3. Here are my standard network settings - I don't have an IP address assigned to this laptop just using DHCP. I get my IP address from online whatsmyip.com or something similar to enter it in cosmosex settings.

You really don't want your internet IP. Instead open a console (cmd.exe or equivalent) and type "ipconfig /all". Then look for your ethernet or wifi adaptor and note the ipv4 address.

Peteone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Peteone » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Sorry about the pics not sure why they are not showing..

anyway you're right I'm looking for the IP assigned by gateway DHCP for this laptop which n this case is 192.168.0.17 my cosmos is sitting on .16

However, i am getting "mount() failed: Host is Down"

when I go to my network drive on Atari and click on that mount.err file

Laptop Name is XPS folder is just sitting on C:\Atari

here are my cosmos settings..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 am

It all looks correct apart from the "shared folder path" - in my experience just the folder name is needed. So instead of "//XPS/Atari" try "Atari".

Peteone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Peteone » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:30 am

Hi sorry I've been missing few days, I tried Atari itself it didn't work I toyed with this for a while - and switched to MAC which I can set up no problem. However I really would love to make this work at some point, Maybe if you ever have time we can remote connect. Please let me know at your convenience.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Oops, sorry there I totally forgot about this thread :(.

If you can tell us what's the current status we can pick it up from there and see.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”