Fake STing - what works, what doesnt?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Fake STing - what works, what doesnt?

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Hey all,

Hoping to get some conversation going. I have a megaSTE with 4mb and a microcosmos. Using wifi to connect to my network.

I would like to do some basic internet work with my ST if I could.

Email, IRC, Telnet, browse Atari.org (about the only site I can get anything out of !!!)

I have tried to use Atariirc or Airc some call it. I have had limited success - anyone else?

Older cab overlay seems to work - one from Cab 2.5 - I will have to look up the specific version again.. of course painfully slow, but nothing if not a fun challange to see what pages you can access. I am surprised that no company maintains an HTML only search engine.. anyone know??

Old Program IRC works ok, but the interface is no where near as good as Airc.

What do you use to telnet?

Lets talk about what we can get to work with our stack overlay Fake STing. Who wrote it? can it be improved?

James

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Fake STing - what works, what doesnt?

Postby mikro » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 am

Its author is Jookie: https://github.com/atarijookie/ce-atari ... _fakesting

And sure as hell it can be improved. ;)

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Oh, did not know that Jookie himself wrote it, I know that several of the softwares for the cosmos either have contributions or are contributions to the project.

James

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:57 am

So, new development, I moved the computers from my work space back to my "computer" room at my house. Set up the microCOSMOS again.. and now I guess Raspbarian does not see the wifi dongle anymore?? everything else works.. the dongle works on 3 other computers.. but the COSMOS does not see it. I have no idea/???

James

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Well, seems I cant log on to just my network at home. I have to reset the router, and check things out. Wondering if it is set to WPA2 only.. but usually WPA2 is backword compatible with WPA.. so bit confused. I know the Cosmos will only do WPA.. not WPA2.

We need to find people willing to take up the software on this. I would if I knew how.. but dont.

James

nanard
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby nanard » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:45 pm

I don't understand what's your problem exactly. You first have to get your CosmosEx on your network, either by wired ethernet or by Wifi.
If it is connected, you can check the webpage http://192.168.0.55 (replace 192.168.0.55 with the IP of the CosmosEx, you can get it from your router, it is also displayed when CEDD driver is loading on the ST)
I don't know why you tell it will not work with WPA2... well it depends on the wifi Card. Are you using integrated Wifi of RPi ? or a wifi dongle ?
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44 /|\ Stacy 4

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:34 am

ok, so back on the network, got that part working again. But I cannot get a modern IRC program to work .. and its inconsistant.. the other night I was able to connect.. using the same settings today.. nothing.

Telnet seems to work. I have not found an email program I can get to work either.

I do keep getting 2 bombs.. which is an IO error. So maybe my microSD card is giving me issues.

Do most people use the RAW microSD?? or how do you use the cosmos as a HDD?

james

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”