Anyone getting bombs with Automation floppy disk emulation?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Anyone getting bombs with Automation floppy disk emulation?

Postby Sowden » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Hey guys. So I just got my wifi working recently, so I started downloading games through the floppy emulation software. I have downloaded about 10 or so zip files on my USB thumb drive. But every one I mounted would not load properly. I either get three to four bombs, with sometime getting a few more. It seems to bomb when it starts to unpack the game, when the screen flashes random different color stripes. I've tried unzipping the MSA files, converting them to ST files, I got the same result. Then I thought to get some of my archived game disk that uses the same process, same bomb situation. I then downloaded some Pompy Pirates on my USB thumb drive from my PC. I ran those games and they all seemed to load fine. If I have some more time tonight I will try to mess around with it some more. But has anyone else had problems like this? Thanks guys.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Anyone getting bombs with Automation floppy disk emulation?

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:47 am

Big %-age of cracks, menu disks is done very unprofessional, with dirty code, what easily fails on some other TOS version, with different RAM amount in machine than 'developer' had. And Automation was probably 'leader' in this :D
So, what TOS version, what Atari model you have ? How much RAM ?
Of course, it is possible too, that floppy emulation of CE is still not good enough. If you can, try those problematic images in some emulator - Steem, Hatari, where can set RAM size, using any TOS version - and then we will know better what is the real problem.
There is way to stop global warming.

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Ha ha ha, I didn't know there was any other way to do things but cleanly :) Well alright, I did some more testing and found some things. But first, here are some stats. I have a 1040STF with TOS 1.02 running. Not my original TOS, but I did some wiring to make the chips all work. As for my RAM I have 1024 available. I got system info and matched all of the stats from my real ST to Seem SSE. I loaded the same disks on the emulator and the Cosmosex and I was still getting the same results. The emulator was running it just fine and my real ST crashed. I should mention that some of the games that Cosmosex is crashing ran find on my HxC while I had it installed. But I did discover something. Since booting with the device plugged in, I have tried booting the A drive with and without CE running. Both gave me the same results. So I decided to try unplugging the ACSI plug in the back of my ST once I had the floppies mounted. I still had control of swapping the three floppy slots. Once I did that, the games loaded perfectly. They got past the unpacking stage and ran the program like it should. Do you think that even trying to load CE_DD would take up too much RAM on boot? Thats the only thing I can think of.

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 pm

I've done a bit more looking into my situation. I do believe that I don't have enough operating RAM to run my CosmosEx. I downloaded a Pompey Pirate disk (101) with Knights of the Sky. When loading the disk with my ACSI plugged in, once loading CD_DD and the other not. I get a message that theres not enough RAM available on both tries. It says that I need 900K and I only have 867K available. I unplug it and the game loads just fine. Now my machine has 1024K max. Shouldn't that be enough for it to be able to run properly? do 512K machines have problems with RAM? I don't own one so I can't test that.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:23 am

It's not only total (free) RAM available what is relevant. Lot of games need free low RAM for working properly. That explains your problems when CE drivers are installed - they go in low RAM, and even with 4MB in machine may get "insufficient RAM" message.
And to add: TOS 1.02 is worst considering low RAM usage (only 2.06 takes more, but it is with much better TOS, Desktop). So, you better go on TOS 1.04 .

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Awww man, upgrade? I already upgraded my STF from 1.00 to 1.02. *sigh* Well I've done it before, I guess I can do it again. In the mean time though, I can enjoy my almost fully working CosmosEx :D

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:41 am

Sowden wrote:Awww man, upgrade? I already upgraded my STF from 1.00 to 1.02. *sigh* Well I've done it before, I guess I can do it again. In the mean time though, I can enjoy my almost fully working CosmosEx :D

Nobody forces you to upgrade. But, since you have CE, what has mass storage support (SD cards), it will be much better with TOS 1.04, what is way better and more reliable with hard disk support than 1.02. And only then should you say "fully working CosmosEx" .

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. My CE is like a miracle inside my ST. It just took me quite some time to figure out how to mod the larger EPROM chips that you can buy off of ebay. But I know how to do it now, so it should be a simple upgrade :-)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”