Old Raspberry Pi and new Raspbian based CE-Software?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

kolli
Atari User
Atari User

Old Raspberry Pi and new Raspbian based CE-Software?

Postby kolli » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi,

I just received my CE yesterday and didn't have much time to test. Although on Jookie's web page it reads "use old linux distro with old pi" I couldn't resist to try if the Raspbian version of the CE software would work on my PI 1 model B. It did, but I just booted from raw SD and startet 1 or 2 programs with success, before I had to put the CE away until weekend.

So I wonder if there is a reason for using the old Yocto based Software? Possibly the PI 1 is too slow?

Should I try if it is stable or should I better use the Yocto version?

Greats,
Kolli

kolli
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Old Raspberry Pi and new Raspbian based CE-Software?

Postby kolli » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 pm

kolli wrote:So I wonder if there is a reason for using the old Yocto based Software? Possibly the PI 1 is too slow?

I can answer the question myself. Today I tried CE with RasPi 1 model B an the Raspbian based CE software. SD card, translated drives and even networking with CE_STING is working. Didn't try floppy emulation or IKBD though. But I think, there is no reason for using the Yocto based software even with this rather old PI.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Old Raspberry Pi and new Raspbian based CE-Software?

Postby Jookie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:21 am

But I think, there is no reason for using the Yocto based software even with this rather old PI.

Possibly - yes, I agree. But the Yocto image is much smaller, the system load is probably lower, so some people might like to stick with that. Although I guess the old Yocto will not boot correctly with new RPi 2 or RPi 3. So it's there just to be sure that anyone who needs (wants) it, still can get it.

Jookie

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”