CE total power consumption / 5V

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

RealLarry
Atariator
Atariator

CE total power consumption / 5V

Postby RealLarry » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:23 pm

CE is missing any type of identification plate so my question is about power consumption
- CE only, w/o RPI
- CE with RPI
- RPI B+ (https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#powerReqs : 330mA up to 1.8A)

Did some tests today with CE+RPI connected to LAN and Monitor (but w/o Atari) and wondered about the small yellow lightning symbol at the right top corner, which indicates too little amps normally.
Tested power plugs with 1A, 1.5A, 2.1A and 2.5A - but with all type of plugs I got the yellow lightning symbol. It then turned out that it was a bad/too thin cable which I swapped against a thickier one. Voila, lightning's gone.

This returns me to the question at the beginng: What (estimated) total power consumption we'll have, specially when using all these damn fornicating (<-- eeh, what's that? I typed another word here!) great features of the CE?
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: CE total power consumption / 5V

Postby Jookie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:52 am

Hello,

- without RPi it's around 200 mA.
- with older RPi it's around 400 mA on ACSI, and around 600 mA on SCSI
- with RPi 3 it's around 500 mA on ACSI, but that varies based on CPU load
- those are my numbers with eth0 wired network, I usually don't use wifi or HDMI, but the more peripherals you use, the higher the consumption will be
- with these numbers most of the old ST power supplies will have trouble, and then it will end up with weird behavior (or not starting at all)
- when adding USB peripherals, those that don't use so much current (e.g. mouse, keyboard) will work, but those power hungry ones (e.g. wifi dongle) might fail right away, as the older RPi B and RPi B+ couldn't power them through USB directly, and they recommended using powered USB hub for them
- CosmosEx has a polyfuse, which might start to 'blow' at 1.1A, so even though the PSU might allow 2A or more, I wouldn't recommend dragging too much through CosmosEx if possible :)

Jookie

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”