Cosmo strangeness

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Cosmo strangeness

Postby roninfourseven » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:34 am

I have a current model Cosmo, which I've probably had less than a week.

I'm using it with TOS 2.06 in an STE with 4Mb RAM. The RPI is a model B+, which seems to be acceptable for Cosmo.

I followed the basics document and all was up and running, with web and SSH access, and booting fine with N & O drives showing, N being mapped through to a small NAS I have with an Atari specific share set up, and files accessible.

At this point I'd not started looking at SD cards.

Then yesterday, I started having issues with it giving 4 bombs (Like no FDD connected on a normal STE with TOS 2.06).

I noticed the activity light was not flashing during boot on the RPi, and nothing was really working.

I decided to start afresh and wrote the image from Jookie's site to the SD card, and also a fresh install of Raspbian to another SD card. I removed the RPi and connected to a TV and it boots fine to either SD card now, Raspian or Yocto.

What is now odd is that now the RPi power light is flashing on and off, either with a 1A USB PSU or the internal PSU (Which has been recapped with a kit from exxos, including new rectifier)

The ST connection keeps dropping, and currently the RPi doesn't seem to be getting either enough power, or the power is intermittent. I have another RPi I can try, which is the same model, but only arrived this week, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd be grateful.

I will be reviewing all cables and connections, and will try another external CPU BTW.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Cosmo strangeness

Postby Jookie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Hello,

- did you mount the RPi youself, or did it come with the CE? (it seems like you mounted it yourself)
- the blinking of the LEDs before reflashing the image - this might be something with the new Raspbian image, you might need to leave it booting a bit longer (30 seconds?) - we're looking at something similar (well, MiKRO and tIn is)
- reflashing the linux image from my page - ouch, that page still contains only the older Yocto linux image, not the newest Raspbian image, so newer RPi will not work with it (RPi 2 and RPi 3 won't work with it)
- if you didn't do update of firmware after downloading and flashing the image, you might have chips vs linux app version discrepancy - for fixing that you should connect to Raspberry (while it's still connected to the rest of CE) by ssh (user 'root', password 'ce'), then just type:
/ce/ce_update.sh
That should download the newest firmware, write it to chips, update the app. If you can do this, check the state of your whole setup after that one - it might solve something for you.

And link to the newest Raspbian image for CE will be on my page soon, until then you can download it directly from here:
[url]joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/ce_raspbian_2016-11-10.zip[/url]

Jookie

RealLarry
Atariator
Atariator

Postby RealLarry » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:41 pm

And link to the newest Raspbian image for CE will be on my page soon, until then you can download it directly from here:
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/ce_raspbian_2016-11-10.zip

Great! I assume that this image will work on rpi1 also?
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:48 pm

RealLarry wrote:Great! I assume that this image will work on rpi1 also?

Yes, it works there, too, although I wouldn't update to it yet if you don't need it - we're still solving some heavy-load-during-boot thing...

RealLarry
Atariator
Atariator

Postby RealLarry » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:23 pm

RealLarry wrote:
Great! I assume that this image will work on rpi1 also?

Yes, it works there, too, although I wouldn't update to it yet if you don't need it - we're still solving some heavy-load-during-boot thing...

Thanks for clarification. Will keep an eye on this.
What's your problem with heavy-load on boot? Anywhere a thread for this? Maybe I can help as I'm working with RPIs and ArchLinux very often...
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:30 pm

RealLarry wrote:What's your problem with heavy-load on boot? Anywhere a thread for this? Maybe I can help as I'm working with RPIs and ArchLinux very often...

It's here:
https://github.com/atarijookie/ce-atari/issues/87

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:16 am

So, it turns out that the problem was the Micro SD card that came with my Cosmo (Jookie, I'm really not worried I have a load lying around :-))

The one shipped has a fault, so I simply swapped out and re wrote the Raspian image from your site and all is well, and I have an SD card formatted using ICD, and booting, including the CE_DD driver, so I have the config drive, mapped drive, plus all the partitions on the external SD card mounted as well.

My only problem ATM seems to be using floppy images, I get an error message saying the disk is corrupted or something similar and the disk is unreadable. I guess I will work it out.

The other problem is that when using the internal PSU of the ATARI, it powers up too slowly, so you have to reset after first boot to ensure the COSMO is picked up by the ST.

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:46 pm

So, the final hurdle was floppy disk wierdness, where accessing drive A gave an error about the data being damaged, which oddly occurred with a normal floppy drive or my HxC/Gotek attached. As soon as I disconnected ACSI, it all worked. :(

So, I followed Jookies advice and reflashed as he suggested, and now everything is working as advertised!! :D

This is an amazing bit of kit, and was worth waiting 8 months for!!

For the price charged, I think it is a bargain, and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone.

Next is to try mice and keyboards, but I am confident it will all work as advertised.

I am a very happy bunny :D

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:10 am

it turns out that the problem was the Micro SD card that came with my Cosmo.
The one shipped has a fault, so I simply swapped out and re wrote the Raspian image from your site and all is well

Damn, I'm sorry for that - writing to that card didn't show any error...

Accessing drive A gave an error about the data being damaged, which oddly occurred with a normal floppy drive or my HxC/Gotek attached.
So, I followed Jookies advice and reflashed as he suggested

So some signal from ACSI port was blocking the floppy access, as they share the same chip for that in Atari... This shouldn't happen either, every device is tested before sending :-/

I'm sorry for the mess, but I'm glad that you managed to get it back to good state...

Jookie

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:06 am

It's no problem Jookie, I think somewhere along the line when I had to rewrite the SD card I ended up with Yocto, then probably tried to update and got a firmware mismatch.

It's all straightened out now, so I am really quite happy with it and looking forward to getting it fully installed internally now :D

With regards to the original SD card, these things happen, and it did work for a short while.

Great work on such an accomplished piece of kit, you've done a great job, and your support is excellent.

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:18 am

It's all good, up and running, using a wireless mouse is a revelation!

Here's some video of the machine and all it's mods:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1331613 ... 5579979303

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:28 pm

Always nice to see an Atari that's been taken to new heights.

Well done!
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”