Cosmosex ce_tsthd.prg results

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

athensnet
Atariator
Atariator

Cosmosex ce_tsthd.prg results

Postby athensnet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:17 am

Jookie wrote:
athensnet wrote:Regarding the thread of the people having data corruption I run also the CE_TSTHD.PRG without any SD or USB attached and the results from the first KB gave erros ? What could be this?

Yuo have the ACSI version, right? After this forst error, did the test then continue long enough without an error? Your case might be related to the booting of Raspberry Pi and runing the CE app too soon, while the boot didn't finish and still was causing a load on a CPU (my wild guess). This might need examination and possibly fixing, but in the mean time - did you run the test after minute or so from the power on? (to avoid doing this while linux is booting)

For this one I might need some logs later, and also a separate thread would be nice (instead of following in a random thread).

A new thread as requested.
Yes the acsi latest version. No I did not let it go so far. I do not think could be a premature run of the test as I always waiting for the Raspberry Pi to finish loading(checking through the HDMI connection). Could be because I had under-voltage problems? I was reading the other thread and had the same sign of this problem. After I solved this problem I did not check it again.
I will do a proper test tonight and I will let you know.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Cosmosex ce_tsthd.prg results

Postby Jookie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:28 am

athensnet wrote:Could be because I had under-voltage problems? I was reading the other thread and had the same sign of this problem. After I solved this problem I did not check it again.

Sure, the weak power supply or bad USB power cable cause weird issues with the device, and it's one of the easy things to try when something is wrong.

Jookie

athensnet
Atariator
Atariator

Postby athensnet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Please find below the result with no SD or USB attached Image
and with USB disk only Image
Clearly disappointing results isn' it ?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:00 am

Argh, that's terrible... I wonder what's going on there. I got one problematic device at my place, looking at it, I wonder if the fix for that will help to solve your issue, too... Stay tuned, working on it.

pixelk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby pixelk » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Same happens to me, see viewtopic.php?f=103&t=30779&p=306191 for more details (same problem, no solution yet)
520STe C398789-001 DMA + 4Mo + TOS 1.62/2.06 Switcher + CosmoEx with Pi2
520STe C025913- 38 DMA + 4Mo + TOS 2.06 + UltraSatan + HxC USB floppy
Scart to HDMI adapter modded for low and med res

athensnet
Atariator
Atariator

Postby athensnet » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:33 am

Regarding the post of "pixelk" and the solution given here : viewtopic.php?f=103&t=30779 I have some thoughts:
I am getting even more problems with the test program that now cannot even calculate the speed.
I am getting corrupted files when copy from the USB flash drive and not when copying files from Floppy to SD.
Files and programs upon correct transferred works perfect.
If it was a DMA problem as described for Ultrasatan I would have corrupted and not usable partitions is this correct?
The solution by Pixelk was a lower consumption Pi and a better power source.
So I come to the thought that power is a major problem.
I have tried with mobile PSU's but with no lack. The problem is that at 5V the AMP are very low and for proper AMP the volt is 5.1/5.2.
What would be the maximum and minimum V and AMPS that can be handled from CosmosEx?
For the time being I am using an exterios power source. This one :Image
Just some more thoughts.....

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:29 pm

Hello,

the 5V is fixed, it shouldn't be less or more. About the amps - my guess is that 1A power supply should work, but 2A should be safer - they recommend even 2.5A power supply:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/

The major difference here is also the USB cable user for power supply - with the the same USB power supply one USB cable will cause issues like that, and other USB cable will make it work smoothly - probably thin vs thick(er) wires in the cable.

If you connect the HDMI of Raspberry to your TV with your USB power supply and the USB cable, you might even see a yellow lightning bolt in the corner of the screen - appearing sometimes or being there always when there's a problem with the USB power supply (undervoltage):
https://i.stack.imgur.com/CjYGK.png

- that shouldn't be there and you should try to swap your supply and / or cable until it's gone...

athensnet
Atariator
Atariator

Postby athensnet » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:55 pm

I will keep trying cables and psu's then.

pixelk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby pixelk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:30 pm

If you have a few $ I can recommend Anker USB power supplies, they deliver what they claim to and are reliable.
520STe C398789-001 DMA + 4Mo + TOS 1.62/2.06 Switcher + CosmoEx with Pi2
520STe C025913- 38 DMA + 4Mo + TOS 2.06 + UltraSatan + HxC USB floppy
Scart to HDMI adapter modded for low and med res

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:39 pm

To check the voltage directly at the RPi without using big measuring devices, I've got a Delock 65682 inline voltage and amperage meter. It will display the voltage and power consumption directly at the input connector of the RPi, thereby showing problems with both power supplies and cables. It will not detect short spikes or drops, though.

Regards
Ektus.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

athensnet
Atariator
Atariator

Postby athensnet » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:59 am

An Update : I solved the problem with the power and now there is no sign of the yellow "thunder" on Paspberry Pi what ever is connected on it (USB stick+usb keyboard/mouse + ethernet cable.
The new tool for testing the HD used also but unfortunately still the problems persists. Only The continuous test on the SD is successful and this by 90%.
The most common error I get is the communication error.
Even with the new tool cannot calculate the speed and 95% fails or gives a very low number (28).
Also the floppy connection is having the same problem. Not possible to upload through the tool on STE an msa or st image. Uploaded through the web interface most of the time the files are corrupted. Upon changing the slot STE still shows the old image/slot.
Also the virtual mouse some times is not responding.
All the time communication error in both HD and floppy access.
I am getting desparate with these communication errors all the time.
Any new ideas?

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:53 pm

@athensnet, do you have another Atari to test with? Just to rule out stuff along the way.

athensnet
Atariator
Atariator

Postby athensnet » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Dear Rian I am afraid not.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:53 am

athensnet wrote:Any new ideas?

Well, if you can't test it on other Atari, and you solved the yellow thunder (undervoltage) issue, then I'm not sure if there's anything you can test at your place. If you want, you can send it to me, and I can test it at my place with my ST.

One more thing - did you have any ST video output issues (little bit distorted picture) or formatting a floppy issues with a real floppy? That could indicate issues with your ST power supply.

alienkidmj12
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alienkidmj12 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:08 pm

athensnet wrote:Please find below the result with no SD or USB attached Image
and with USB disk only Image
Clearly disappointing results isn' it ?

I have this issue too. I've opened a new thread though.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”