Overwriting the internal SD card

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Overwriting the internal SD card

Postby mikro » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi there,

somehow I've managed to screw up my CE. Since I wanted to try an wifi dongle, I downloaded the new image from Jookie's web (rpi-ce-run.img). I dd'ed it onto the internal card, everything fine.

Now, I boot the CE, wait a few sec as usual... I see the blue LED flash which indicates everything is OK but then after another couple of secs I see again all the LEDs flashing orange like nothing has happened. And of course, CE_DD & friends don't load, the desktop is empty.

Any idea what I did wrong?

EDIT: just to be on the safe side, this is what I did:

sudo dd if=./rpi-ce-run.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
168+0 records in
168+0 records out
176160768 bytes (176 MB, 168 MiB) copied, 15.2713 s, 11.5 MB/s

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Overwriting the internal SD card

Postby mikro » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:39 pm

Wow, it gets even stranger. Fortunately for me, I dd'ed the SD card before overwriting it so I could put everything into the state as it was. Or could I? Even though it's a 1:1 copy (all 4 GB copied), it's not working the same anymore.

The CE boots up fine (it seems), I can use USB keyboard & mouse but:
- Atari keyboard doesn't work anymore
- O: drive doesn't appear anymore
- USB drive is not recognised / shown
- Atari boots suspiciously fast into the desktop

What the... I'm going to read through the docs to see whether I haven't missed something.

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:33 am

OK, so I managed to get it working but as a developer, I can imagine how much love will this report get. ;)

First I connected the device to network, run ce_update.sh and removed /ce/settings. This made my image working again. Then I dd'ed the new image and guess what, it's working, too!

Scary, scary, scary. There must be either some configuration setting preserved across complete system overwrite or one of the chips (Xilinx, Hans, Franz) needed to be re-initialised again.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:08 am

mikro wrote:Scary, scary, scary. There must be either some configuration setting preserved across complete system overwrite or one of the chips (Xilinx, Hans, Franz) needed to be re-initialised again.

Or... it could be that the Hans (hard drive chip) protocol changed since the linux image came out, so until you did get newest linux app and the chips, until then there was some mismatch between chip and app, and the communication failed...

Jookie

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”