Can't create working Virtual HDDs

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Can't create working Virtual HDDs

Postby STNooB » Tue May 17, 2016 6:35 am

I'm using the older version of a Cosmosex with a Pi, but with the latest firmware, and I'm trying to create virtual HDDs using HDDriver 9.08, on a 4GB SD card.

I've managed to get things working before, but after updating to the latest firmware a few days ago, I can no longer access the three 512MB virtual HDDs I had.

So I formatted the SD card, and tried again. Still no luck. The only time I can access the drives is if I boot with a virtual floppy that you get with HDDriver.

Using the following is as far as I get, by following the it as closely as I can, since it doesn't match up with v9.08.
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=266

There isn't an up to date manual for cosmosex and HDDriver 9.08, that holds your hand as you're setting them up.

I've no idea what I'm doing wrong this time around?!

Hopefully someone can help?

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Can't create working Virtual HDDs

Postby STNooB » Fri May 20, 2016 6:45 am

I'm still having problems with this.

alektronic
Atarian
Atarian

Postby alektronic » Tue May 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi STNooB,

It does sound as though the driver isn't installed - maybe you've partitioned the drive, but not installed the driver on your SD card?

I had the same issue with the ICD drivers when I first used them - once I'd done the partitioning it took me a bit of fiddling to work out how to install the drivers to the drive itself. I haven't used HDDriver (yet) but I imagine it's a similar process.

It would also be worth checking the ACSI configuration in the CosmosEx menu, to make sure the ACSI ID numbers are properly assigned (so the card isn't being skipped when you boot). I have the SD card as 0 and CE_DD as 1.

Hope you get it up and running - CosmosEx is an amazing piece of kit :)

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Postby STNooB » Wed May 25, 2016 2:23 pm

I forgot to come back to this the other day. I managed to get it going on Sunday afternoon.

It is down to the drivers and the ACSI ID order. As you say, the SD card has to be 0, and the CE_DD as 1. I had been copying the HDDriver driver over correctly, but hadn't copied over the the CosmosEx driver over to the first Virtual HDD Auto folder. I also haddn't manually added the extra HDDs, for D:, E:, O:, and P: (P: being a shared folder from my PC).

I've no idea why the firmware update killed everything, though. One of those life mysteries I guess.

I've written myself a little manual on what to do the next time this happens.

Oh well, life is back to normal again. I've just got to solder up some Atari ST MIDI cables now. Since the pin outputs aren't normal. But that's a normal ST problem, not a cosmosex problem. :)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”