Feature suggestion - ACSI images

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

alektronic
Atarian
Atarian

Feature suggestion - ACSI images

Postby alektronic » Sun May 15, 2016 9:26 am

I got my CosmosEx a couple of months ago, and I'm really, really enjoying it - thanks Jookie!

I have a quick feature suggestion (I know how small the development team is, and how many of these ideas there are, so I'm not getting my hopes up, just throwing another idea into the hat :) ) In the same way that we can upload and mount floppy images, I'd love to be able to upload and mount a small (say, <100Mb?) ACSI hard drive image file, such as those supported by STeem and Hatari.

I have quite a specific use case for this, but I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities too. I'd like to run a Spectre partition for Mac emulation, but the Spectre software can only see 4 HD partitions and has to use the last one. Any partitions after this then become unusable on the Atari - a bit of a waste on a large SD card. So it would be great if I could have a separate, small image file which I could attach to, say, ACSI 1 and run alongside my regular SD card HD on ACSI 0.

It might also be useful to try out some of the HD image files such as Minix or ST_Mint which are sometimes shared here, without having to use up another SD card!

It could be useful to be able to download the image file, as well as upload, so that I could take the file away and continue working on STeem when I'm away from my physical ST, too. (I'm hoping for this feature for floppy images at some point in the future, too, of course... :) )

Many thanks!

nanard
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Feature suggestion - ACSI images

Postby nanard » Wed May 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Thats a pretty good idea.
HD image could be located on USB stick or even on the network
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44

Estrayk

Postby Estrayk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Cool idea! Jookie! please!! :)
・Falcon 030+FPU 14mb CosmosEX・Atari MegaSTE 4Mb CosmosEX・Atari STe 4Mb GotekHxC+Satan・Amiga A600 Vampire V2・Amiga A1200 030/50・MIST・

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:19 am

OK, I'm marking this down in the github to remember it later... Thank you for suggestion.

Having the image on USB drive or network drive would be easy, having it on the SD card of RPi could be done, but I wouldn't like to go that way to avoid the SD card corruption and data loss as much as possible. The code already supports hard drive images, the most of the effort here would have to go to configuration through console, and automatic search and mount after USB /network drive mount... My guess would be a week of work or so...

alektronic
Atarian
Atarian

Postby alektronic » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks Jookie! :D Keep up the good work, it really is appreciated :cheers:

nanard

Postby nanard » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:18 am

For thoses who are able to compile the app on their CE, there is working code which need some testing ;)
https://github.com/atarijookie/ce-atari/issues/77

Do you need to be able to mount several images (to ACSI id 0, 1, etc.) ?
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44

alektronic
Atarian
Atarian

Postby alektronic » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:48 pm

I've had the chance to play with the updated software today, and it's working really well :D

I've tested it with a couple of my own STeem/Hatari HD image files, and the ST_Mint and Minix files that I've collected here over the years. No problems at all so far.

Massive thanks, Jookie and Nanard! Hope others find this useful too :cheers:

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”