im lost..Help please

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: im lost..Help please

Postby Moggy2001 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Should I have a driver on startup

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sun May 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Moggy2001 wrote:Sorry to rant the thing im lacking is intelligence i just dont seem to grasp any of the things ive read, im normally ok with things like this but for some reason im finding this really hard and now im losing my temper with it.

No need to apologize, your frustration is understandable.
Moggy2001 wrote:i can see the floppy disk images on the but not managed to dload any it always says....

That's bad luck, unfortunately: the FTP server the games are residing on is down since a week or so:
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=29830

The FTP server itself is beyond Jookies control, but I'm sure it will be changed to another FTP if the current one keeps being offline.
Moggy2001 wrote:when i first configed the CE i could put some games off my pc on a usb stick and the .st files would run most crashed be i was happy to see some other results, so i turned it all off went away for the weekend, truned st back on its all still working as i left it.

Regarding the crashing of disk images: not all games work with the STE TOS - most of the games you can download today are modified versions of varying quality and often need specific TOS bersions.
There are some people creating fixed versions of games however, that work on modern TOS and even on Harddisk (but an SD card and a hatddisk driver is recommended for that):

http://www.klapauzius.net/Old_Games.html
http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php

As I'm no gamer others might point you to even better sources.
Moggy2001 wrote:so i takes my usb out to put some more .st files on (the same usb stick) but whet ever i delete or put on the st seems to think nothings changed and give me the same games i had on and not the ones ive got on. plus none work now not even the ones i left on.

This is strange. When you say "st seems to think nothings changed and give me the same games i had on and not the ones ive got on" we are talking about a GEM drive in a GEM window with a directory listing, correct? Not any tool from drive O?

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:05 pm

sorry, when i click on the usb drive "c" it always says ive got the same games on there even ifs another usb.

im gonna buy the hddriver9 now do we know if its works with the ce?

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:10 pm

plus im running a stfm

and i thank you for all your help matey.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:42 pm

I don't get this, I used an old USB stick to dload a few upgraded games and everyone showed up and worked by opening the USB drive then it unpacks from zip file, I'm happy with that. I've bought the hddriver9 so I'm gonna have a play with that tonight. See if I can do anything with it. Thank you all for being patient with me I'm a complete noob and if I knew it was gonna be as difficult and time consuming as it has been i would have bought one already upgraded and configured. Thanks again there is. No.chance I would have got this running without you guys.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:22 pm

ive got a question already about the hddriver,

can i do this without a floppy disk? cos i dont have one,

ive only got the cosmosex.

can i run this from the usb side of the cosmosex ive tryed to follow this http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=266

but i dont have a floppy and all the options are faded out running the driver prog via usb.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue May 10, 2016 5:20 am

but i dont have a floppy and all the options are faded out running the driver prog via usb.

If you do have a PC with floppy, then you could:
- get just the files from that HDDRIVER floppy and copy them to something else (network drive, usb drive)
- create a floppy image out of them and use them in emulated floppy

If you don't have a PC with floppy, then you could:
- visit a friend who does and do something from the list above
- ask author of HDDRIVER to send you the files or floppy image

nanard
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby nanard » Tue May 10, 2016 8:11 am

@Moggy2001 : The CosmosEx is a network device, which exposes an Web-interface that you can access through any Web Browser.
To access it, the difficult part is to get the IP address of the CosmosEx : it is displayed when you boot the ST, the CosmosEx driver show some messages :
Looking for CosmosEx on ACSI 0123 Found
Date : DD-MM-YYYY
time : HH:MM:SS
eth0 : 192.168.x.x

The exact address depends on the network router you are using at home. Home LAN address usually start with 192.168.x.x but that could also be 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x.
Another way to get IP address of CosmosEx is to look in web interface of your home router. Mine displays a list of connected devices, but it really depends on the device.

Once you got it, you enter the CosmosEx IP address in the address bar of your favorite web-browser on a PC that's connected to the same network as the CosmosEx. Status page is the last item of the top menu. example on my setup :

Please copy-paste us what written here for you, so we can help.
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44

nanard

Postby nanard » Tue May 10, 2016 8:23 am

Moggy2001 wrote:ive got a question already about the hddriver,

can i run this from the usb side of the cosmosex ive tryed to follow this http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=266

Instead of running from a real floppy, you could do the same from an emulated one :
just get the HDDriver floppy as a .ST or .MSA file, that you mount in CosmosEx, you reset the ST, and that's it :)
(dont forget to press A if CE_DD driver shows at boot to make sure everything is loaded from floppy)

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:39 pm

here is my screenshot :)

i didnt evern know i could do this :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:01 pm

here is my hddriver909 i dloaded the driver is a .prg and wont auto boot. what program do i use to convert it for a .prg to a .st or .msa?

cheers.

tryed in emulated drive but didnt do anything

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Tue May 10, 2016 6:09 pm

didnt evern know i could do this :)

:cheers: Cool! Now we're cooking with gas ;)

This is mentioned in the quickstart guide, Dr. Coolzics guide, Jookies CE feature table and probably in the faq, too ;-)
I strongly recomend to reread these every time you learn sth more about your CE - I know it's hard with all the not making sense for now, but the more progress you have the more of those documents will hopefully "click".
This is not meant to be a polite way to say "RTFM", but to encourage anyone to try again and don't give up on the docs. It's all in there, and it pays. Well, it's largely boring also, but did I mention it pays? ;-)

sorry, when i click on the usb drive "c" it always says ive got the same games on there even ifs another usb

I'm curious: what exactly is your drive "C" (I'm assuming "C" here, "c" (lowercase) is indeed something different in TOS, but I digress).

Could you add a screenshot with your translated drive config? You can access the general config through the webbrowser and take a screenshot there.

and all the options are faded out running the driver prog via usb.

Are you running Hddriver using an USB key? Do you have an SD card inserted? What options are greyed out, exactly in what tool?

I'm assuming you are running hdutil.prg, which isn't the driver itself. You have to run hddriver.prg and then run hdutil.prg to partition your SD card.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:27 pm

sorry "C" drive is my usb which seems to be working now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nanard

Postby nanard » Tue May 10, 2016 6:36 pm

@moggy2001: 1st, I advise you to change the 1st translated drive letter to somthing like I or even after (K ?)
because once you get HDDRIVER running, the partitions from your SD-CARD will be C, D, E, etc.

Then, your screenshot shows that no USB stick is mounted, so we can't help you about your problem that you don't see new files you copied to your USB stick.

I think the better way to make a .ST image out of files is to use an emulator on PC (steem) ;)

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:38 pm

when installing Hddriver via usb it runs the program searches for stuff then goes back to desktop, then i click the hdutil.app all the partitioning tools are grayed and i have no hard disk tab but on the Jookies guide screenshot it tells you to click the hard disk section. and i dont have one..

so i have you usb stick in with the hddriver on it. and have my sd card inserted..

i do keep reading all the faq. and things are slowly clicking. and ill continue to read all the stuff so i dont have to keep bothering you kind people.

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Tue May 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Moggy2001 wrote:when installing Hddriver via usb it runs the program searches for stuff then goes back to desktop, then i click the hdutil.app all the partitioning tools are grayed and i have no hard disk tab but on the Jookies guide screenshot it tells you to click the hard disk section. and i dont have one..

We'll this seems to be a clear case of "do as I mean not as I screenshot" (or whatever the saying goes) ;-)

Hddriver changed it's menu structure some versions back. You'll find the Menu entries depicted in the "Medium" menu. Don't forget to select a Device from "Available Devices", otherwise this menu sports only greyed out entries,

And as nanard already pointed out, don't forget to change "First translated drive" in the Translated drive config of the CE to something like I or K, to avoid confusion. It's better (and easier) to have raw drives start at C - which they won't if C is occupied by a translated drive.

Moggy2001 wrote:i do keep reading all the faq. and things are slowly clicking. and ill continue to read all the stuff so i dont have to keep bothering you kind people.

No bother at all :-)

nanard

Postby nanard » Tue May 10, 2016 7:23 pm

@moggy2001: can you also send us the screenshot of config screen where you can choose the ACSI id assignment ?
HDDRIVER won't find the SD Card if it is not properly setup.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:10 pm

gonna have another go today, thanks for the replies guys.

here is my ACSI config.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:04 pm

awesome,, got my 8gb sdcard formatting, it look like its gonna take a while, :) im well chuffed :) i love you guys

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Wed May 11, 2016 6:29 pm

here is my ACSI config.

Looks fine I'd say.

Moggy2001 wrote:i love you guys

Aw, don't make us blush ;-)

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:05 pm

Oh no.. something has happened to my st. I left my sd card formatting last night it got most of the way through it and crashed I turned st off now all it displays it a white screen. Just as I thought I was getting somewhere. What will this be done you think.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:37 pm

now my status says this.. would this give me a white screen??

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:15 pm

Right its back up and running now trying to get the sd card partitioned, its been formatted via HDDRUTIL but when clicking ok to the partitions ive put in it says " couldnt write administrative sectors" any ideas?

nanard

Postby nanard » Sat May 14, 2016 12:01 pm

Moggy2001 wrote:now my status says this.. would this give me a white screen??

Hard Drive interface is disconnected (19 pin ACSI at the rear of the ST), So it's logicial you've got the white screen.
The ST is trying to boot from floppy, so you can load a floppy image in the CosmosEx from webinterface and boot from it.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:32 pm

cheers nanard i sorted that,

how long sould a 8gb sd card take to format using hddriver/hddrutil ???

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”