im lost..Help please

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

im lost..Help please

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Ive just had my st upgraded and had a number of things upgraded, ive had a cosmos ex drive fitting and had the floppy taken out.

i turn the st on it finishes the memory check then gives me 4 bombs i reset the st then its all comes on with a and b floppy disks buy when i click on any of the drives it says " please insert disk" this is all on tos 206

what my question is where do i start iv not got a clue i thought it was going to be put demos/games on ether a sd card or usb then play...
the more i read into it on jookies site and the manual its all baffling me im way above my head and clueless.

im sorry to be a pain and a complete noob i really dont like bothering people but ive payed a lot of money on this and not seen anything besides the desktop.

can someone point me in the right direction please.

any info would be great but please try and keep it simple for me cos my head is hurting with it all :)

thanks you people

Carl.

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: im lost..Help please

Postby tin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm

OK, no problem, we're glad to help.
So let's start simple: what kind of ST do you have there exactly?

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:55 pm

thank you.

its an atari 520stfm motherboard co7o89-001 rev. f2

upgraded by exxos to 4mb kit and 8/16mz and swichable tos 104/206 plus blitter added and cosmosex with pi added.

im really happy and amazed by exxos's work, what a clever kid. like all of you on here. apart from me ;) im the clueless kid.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:11 pm

It may or may not be helpful but my TOS 2.06 machine always boots with 4 bombs if I remove the floppy drive. I believe it's an obscure bug in that TOS.

Could be wrong, but that may be one of the items on your list. As for the rest - I'll leave that in good hands :)

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:20 pm

During testing, at some point it booted to desktop and the floppy drive A: opened up as blank. I'm not sure what the "trick" was though.

I don't know anything about it as never owned one, though the docs mention something about waiting 2mins or 30 seconds or something for the PI to boot. So I assume on power up you have to wait 2 mins before you can access the floppy drive. I would also assume after 2mins, you reset the ST, and it should then work.

dml is right, you get 4 bombs when no floppy drive is attached, I also assume it will come up 4 bombs while PI is booting. Though there is no mention of this in jookies quick help he posted some days ago. I do agree though, it seems somewhat confusing :(
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:21 pm

P.S. I've moved this topic into the CosmosEx section.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:23 pm

dml wrote:It may or may not be helpful but my TOS 2.06 machine always boots with 4 bombs if I remove the floppy drive. I believe it's an obscure bug in that TOS.

Could be wrong, but that may be one of the items on your list. As for the rest - I'll leave that in good hands :)

thanks for your help exxos did tell me that part. :)

carl

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:28 pm

exxos wrote:During testing, at some point it booted to desktop and the floppy drive A: opened up as blank. I'm not sure what the "trick" was though.

I don't know anything about it as never owned one, though the docs mention something about waiting 2mins or 30 seconds or something for the PI to boot. So I assume on power up you have to wait 2 mins before you can access the floppy drive. I would also assume after 2mins, you reset the ST, and it should then work.

dml is right, you get 4 bombs when no floppy drive is attached, I also assume it will come up 4 bombs while PI is booting. Though there is no mention of this in jookies quick help he posted some days ago. I do agree though, it seems somewhat confusing :(

i get confused easy. at one point on tos 104 it said i had 1 drive connected but its only done it once.
ive taken the top off the cosmos and i had a red light what stays on but on boot it next to the red light there is a green light, should this light be green. ?

im guessing to get the sd card to work i need a driver "hddriver9"

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Moggy2001 wrote:i get confused easy. at one point on tos 104 it said i had 1 drive connected but its only done it once.
ive taken the top off the cosmos and i had a red light what stays on but on boot it next to the red light there is a green light, should this light be green. ?

I honestly don't know how it works, jookie would be the one to ask. I think you just have to wait a while before trying to use the floppy drive. TOS206 mode will come up 4 bombs if drive not ready. TOS104 will just not show any drive icons. Thats literally all I know.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:41 pm

exxos wrote:
Moggy2001 wrote:i get confused easy. at one point on tos 104 it said i had 1 drive connected but its only done it once.

I honestly don't know how it works, jookie would be the one to ask. I think you just have to wait a while before trying to use the floppy drive. TOS206 mode will come up 4 bombs if drive not ready. TOS104 will just not show any drive icons. Thats literally all I know.

ok chris thank you for you help. and nice work on my st its ace.. you a talented guy.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:52 pm

i dont know it this info is and use but i have nothing plugged in, no sd card or usb but it lets me format floppy a it finishes then says ive got 7***** bytes spare then crashes and boots back to desktop .

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Moggy2001 wrote:i dont know it this info is and use but i have nothing plugged in, no sd card or usb but it lets me format floppy a it finishes then says ive got 7***** bytes spare then crashes and boots back to desktop .

Basic questions like this one are covered here: http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/ce_basics.pdf - the CE currently has no FDD write support. So take your time reading that document - it will save you quite a few hassles - without this basic knowledge (what it is and what it does) it is indeed hard to do anything with your CE.

I take it from this, that your CE was never configured? If it wasn't you have to do these steps: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=704

Is your CE attached to ACSI? Is it attached to a network?

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:48 pm

You are looking on the lights of the Raspbery Pi there, the interresting lights in your case are the ones at the front, esp. the green and blue ones.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:47 am

tin wrote:Is your CE attached to ACSI?

...and to that I add - is it configured as ACSI or SCSI? It's mentioned in the quickstart guide by tIn, but it might be easier to spot if it's mentioned even here :)

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:07 pm

tin wrote:I take it from this, that your CE was never configured? If it wasn't you have to do these steps: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=704

Is your CE attached to ACSI? Is it attached to a network?

i didnt even see this i must have been looking with my eyes closed..

ive managed to update the ce and ran the config procedure now it boots up with no bombs. but dont have the drive O it says should be there..

mine is scsi it says in the config menu.

thank you for your time fellas

i wonder where my drive O is.

cheers

carl
Last edited by exxos on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: missing open quote

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:51 am

Moggy2001 wrote:mine is scsi it says in the config

That is probably the main problem: the ST is an ACSI machine, so your CE's hardware wasn't setup correctly. The CE can't "hear" your ST, because it isn't connected to ACSI internally (even if the ACSI cable is connected to the ACSI port).

To switch your CE to ACSI you have to do this: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=668

Just to make sure we covered all the basics and we don't get ahead of ourselves - it is important that you please take your time to answer the following questions (preferably with yes/no):

Did you read the FAQ at http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/ce_basics.pdf?
Is your CE attached to the STs ACSI port?
Is your CE attached to the network?
Can you access the Web interface?

We really need this information to help (otherwise we wouldn't ask :-) ). We can imply some of it, but we then probably just guess wrong ;-)

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:52 pm

thanks again.. just had a quick go at turning the ce to acsi and now ive got the config drive "o" yey..

have'nt got time to do much else im going away this weekend so when i try more ill post back

thank you everyone for your help. i cant do it without you.

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:59 pm

hi guys, thanks for all your help so far,

the questions you asked me to answer,
Did you read the FAQ YES
Is your CE attached to the STs ACSI port? YES
Is your CE attached to the network? YES
Can you access the Web interface Ive updated my firmware via the internet so im assuming its connected

The status now is me ce is now ACSI and i get the config drive "O" ive had buggyboy running via the usb port but none of my other games /demos work i get crashes.
now if i format my usb in my pc and put another game on it then insert it back into my st it still thinks its buggy boy even after a reset and turn off.
ive had nothing out of my sd slot yet, will i need a tool to partition and format eg. hddriver9 ?

cheers

carl

nanard
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby nanard » Sun May 08, 2016 8:41 am

Moggy2001 wrote:[...]
now if i format my usb in my pc and put another game on it then insert it back into my st it still thinks its buggy boy even after a reset and turn off.
ive had nothing out of my sd slot yet, will i need a tool to partition and format eg. hddriver9 ?

I'm not sure it is quite clear in the documentations, but YES, SD card is accessed in low level mode (just as with a UltraSatan) so you need a Hard disk driver. They are documentations about ICDPro http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=306 or HDDriver http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=266

USB Sticks works either in RAW (low level sector access) mode or TRANSLATED (high level GEMDOS). If you format it on your PC it will be in TRANSLATED mode.
Translated USB disks and network share are accessed through CE_DD driver, RAW Usb sticks + SD Cards are accessed through 3rd party HD driver.

can you access the Webinterface of the CosmosEx and go to the status page ?
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:43 pm

nanard wrote:
Moggy2001 wrote:[...]

can you access the Webinterface of the CosmosEx and go to the status page ?

ive not got a clue what the webinterface is, i cant see a status page anywhere in the configs im fully updated via ce_conf .prg file on drive o so it says

tbh im getting fed up with all this i thought is was gonna be easy like drag and drop files and play. i feel like just trashing the lot.

cheers

carl

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 pm

got another one now.. i put some games on a usb stick some worked and some didnt so i deleted the usb stick and put some more games on but it comes up with the same games ive deleted, whats that all about..??

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sun May 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Moggy2001 wrote:ive not got a clue what the webinterface is, i cant see a status page anywhere in the configs im fully updated via ce_conf .prg file on drive o so it says

You can access your CE with a web browser - that's the web interface. Since your CE is in a network, the IP is shown when the CE_DD loads (e.g. sth like 192.168.1.4, will be different on your setup). Enter the IP shown in a web browser and the web interface will show up. There you can upload floppy disk images for example. Most demos and games run from floppy disk.
Moggy2001 wrote:tbh im getting fed up with all this i thought is was gonna be easy like drag and drop files and play. i feel like just trashing the lot.

Well, I'm sorry you had the impression this would be a drag&drop experience - you are dealing with 30 year old hardware here, and this kind of hardware tends to be in need of some patience and love to get things running. (And I'm not saying you're lacking any of those, mind you).
With this expectation one is bound to be disappointed (again, I'm not saying this is your fault).

The question is: Where does this expectation come from? Is there anything the FAQ or Jookies page could have done to prevent that disappointment and make more clear what's needed to use the device? After all the CE is a great device, but probably there are many misunderstandings. Honest question here.

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sun May 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Moggy2001 wrote:got another one now.. i put some games on a usb stick some worked and some didnt so i deleted the usb stick and put some more games on but it comes up with the same games ive deleted, whats that all about..??

To be sure I understand correctly: by "putting some more games on it", are we talking disk images or normal files?

How do you start the games exactly?

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Sorry to rant the thing im lacking is intelligence i just dont seem to grasp any of the things ive read, im normally ok with things like this but for some reason im finding this really hard and now im losing my temper with it.

anyway ...............

i can see the floppy disk images on the but not managed to dload any it always says....

0%
0%
0%
untill i abort it

but when i go into the update on the config it tells me im upto date so im assuming im connected plus i wouldnt see the disk images im guessing

when i first configed the CE i could put some games off my pc on a usb stick and the .st files would run most crashed be i was happy to see some other results, so i turned it all off went away for the weekend, truned st back on its all still working as i left it.
so i takes my usb out to put some more .st files on (the same usb stick) but whet ever i delete or put on the st seems to think nothings changed and give me the same games i had on and not the ones ive got on. plus none work now not even the ones i left on.

sorry for my spelling and English i never went to shcool as a kid..

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:29 pm

how i started games before was. put em on a usb off pc then put usb in ST then turn on ST it loads up click on usb drive click on the flie to load the game. it brings up some text to tell me to reset the ST, so i resest it the click on floppy a click on the .prg file then off she goes ether a crash or a running game.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”