Sting drivers for cosmosex ?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

TXG/MNX
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Sting drivers for cosmosex ?

Postby TXG/MNX » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Hello,

Are there already beta drivers for to use the ethernet on COSMOSEX with sting drivers ?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Sting drivers for cosmosex ?

Postby Jookie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:03 am

TXG/MNX wrote:Are there already beta drivers for to use the ethernet on COSMOSEX with sting drivers ?

The driver is in very early stage, but if nothing goes wrong, there could be at least some version (early alpha version) of it in like 2 weeks... I'm busy with the production of the current batch of devices, also with development of newer version of the device (with SCSI support), so I'm kind of running out of time :)

This device is a big bunch of possibilities, features and things to do, but there's so little of me, and too much of the rest, so everything needs some time.

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:18 am

any roadmap ? Would like this feature on my CosmosEX

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:55 am

TXG/MNX wrote:any roadmap ? Would like this feature on my CosmosEX

It was delayed because of making of the devices, and also because it didn't work as good as when using from emulated CosmosEx on emulated Atari ST...

I've just tested it with Litchi 1.3 (ftp client), I've connected to my ftp server, downloaded a file and got a crash (2 bombs) after showing the content of the next dir on ftp :? but this might be due to running the driver from shared drive (through CE_DD) which might have some issues with memory resistant apps at this moment.

Is there any specific network app you want to use with it? I would like to test it and possibly fix it before I release this... (and even then it might need a lot of fixing, etc.).

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Hello Jookie, I know you're very busy these days, but do you have any news in this matter?
Maybe you can share us your current StinG driver?
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:39 am

Hello Cyprian,

I was working on that at the beginning of this year, it was working almost fine, but I had to fix some issues and I didn't get to that, because adding SCSI interface took me another 6 months... But you're right, maybe I should share the current version, even if it's broken - that way I might find someone to help me with it ;)

Jookie

nanard

Postby nanard » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Maybe I could help ?
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 am

The situation with CE (CosmosEx) STiNG is the following:
  • the sources are compilable under Windows using 'Vincent Riviere's m68k-atari-mint cross-tools'
  • the driver is almost done, but as it is TSR (using Ptermres()), it doesn't work from translated (CE_DD) drive, so you should run it from SD card / other native drive, fix for CE_DD about that TSR / Ptermres() comming soon (working on it).
  • the driver sources are in svn, there is also 'unit' test for that in the svn, the test was created and tuned with original STiNG and EtherNEC, current version of CosmosEx STiNG passes all the test cases, but I've seen it misbehave in some real situation with AFTP, so it might need extending for few more test cases and then the CE STiNG will need a fix
  • mentioned issue with AFTP: when disconnecting from ftp server, AFTP app waits infinitely - this will be probably easy to fix
  • other issue with CE STiNG, which is more serious - there is some communication with CE in VBL, which causes some issues (always receiving a non-existing char from keyboard) and sometimes a crash of ST. It's in the VBL, because in some situations CE STiNG needs to retrieve fresh info from CE. This might be something simple like bad register storing and restoring, or some minor stack corruption
  • Other than that - we need to make tests with existing network apps and fix everything that pops up.

Do you want to look at that? Or anyone else? You know what they say - more heads, more cabbage ;)

nanard

Postby nanard » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 am

I'm having a look at all this.
I guess the VBL interupt is needed because the application may have registered some handlers with Sting (for receiving ICMP ?)
but mainly the sting API can be implemented with polling into calls from the application
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:10 pm

nanard wrote:I guess the VBL interupt is needed because the application may have registered some handlers with Sting (for receiving ICMP ?)
but mainly the sting API can be implemented with polling into calls from the application

I agree - it would probably work without VBL for most of the TCP / UDP / resolve() stuff, but calling the ICMP handlers definitely needs VBL or something similar.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun May 01, 2016 7:20 am

Hello,

first public version of STiNG (replacement) for CosmosEx is in the current main app (2015-05-01), so if you want to try it, you should update. It's still not perfect, not much has been done in the last few weeks, but I'm releasing it just so you could see it with your own eyes, and hopefully you will report the issues, which someone (me or possibly someone with better skills than me ;) ) will fix...

Just launch the CE_STING.PRG from the config drive. There is no configuration needed, and no configuration tools (e.g. CPX) which work for normal STiNG will work with it, so don't bother trying ;) On the bright side - if your Raspberry Pi inside of CosmosEx can access the internet, you don't have to bother with any configuration, so I think this is a plus compared to original STiNG ;)

Have fun,
Jookie

Cooper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cooper » Sun May 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Nice !

And what about transfer rates?
Cooper/Paradize
STe / STf / Lynx

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue May 03, 2016 1:05 am

Cooper wrote:And what about transfer rates?

Not good, with AFTP now I get 6.2 kB/s, that's too slow. The link between CosmosEx and ST can do 1.1MB/s (it does that for hard drive transfers), the linux sockets surely can do more (using wget I got 4.4 MB/s on that Raspberry Pi), so there's clearly some issue with my current implementation in the driver somewhere. But speed is the problem which could be solved later.

The main problem still is that when VBL routine is enabled in that STiNG driver, it causes app crashes or fake keyboard input, so I'm clearly messing stuff up in the VBL, and maybe some (demo) coder could help me with solving that one...

With the VBL routine turned off the AFTP client was working, but Litchi failed to list the content of the directory on server. Now in the ideal (imaginary) world I would contact the authors of the software, ask them for help, and with their help (if they would be willing) I could solve all the issues - they would tell me what function misbehaved and how it should properly behave (what they did expect), and I could easily fix that. But in the real world - these network clients are long abandoned by the authors, so there's no one to talk to...

So... If anyone wants to help me with this, he's warmly welcome. :contract:

bugs
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bugs » Tue May 03, 2016 2:55 am

sqward wrote that great uiptool, perhaps he could help.
Atari Falcon *2, Phantom,CT63, TT030, MegaSte with crazydots, Mega ST4 soon with exxo booster, Mega ST2, 1040STE, 1040STFM, 130xe *2, 1200xl nib, 800xl nib, 800, 400 (first computer from new) Lotharek MIST

Cooper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cooper » Tue May 03, 2016 6:40 am

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

I hope there are some skilled network-apps coders able to help you as it would be a really interesting thing to have in Cosmosex !

Cooper/Paradize

STe / STf / Lynx

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue May 03, 2016 7:01 am

Cooper wrote:I hope there are some skilled network-apps coders able to help you

Well, I guess it's not much about network programming in the end - VBL issue might just need some fix in assembler (protection against running when... ? Restoring regs? Not corrupting the stack?), and the other issues might be just something like 'hey, it should return this value and it returns that value instead', so there's no need for deep understanding, just a little push in the right direction :)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”