CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

AnakiMana
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby AnakiMana » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 am

Ok, so it sounds like a lot of work and unnecessary complication when our only benefit is two more USB ports. I don't care about that.

I know the UltraSatan would have had problems with a TOS 1.0 machine, but am I right to assume that the CosmosEx will be fine for it because of translated mode? I have an STF that's sad because I don't play with it anymore (USatan is on the STE). Also my father still has an STF with 1.0. I want to avoid the hassle & expense of upgrading TOS if I don't have a good reason to.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 am

AnakiMana wrote:I know the UltraSatan would have had problems with a TOS 1.0 machine, but am I right to assume that the CosmosEx will be fine for it because of translated mode? I have an STF that's sad because I don't play with it anymore (USatan is on the STE). Also my father still has an STF with 1.0. I want to avoid the hassle & expense of upgrading TOS if I don't have a good reason to.

I didn't test the device with TOS 1.00 so I can't tell at this moment. I'm running it with 1040 STFM which has probably TOS 1.04, but I have to check that out... Maybe some of the guys who got the device can report if some of them tested it with lower TOS versions?

The translated drive and driver replace the work of TOS with the filesystem completely, and if the upper layers of TOS don't screw something up then it could work better as the original TOS 1.00 filesystem code. Anyway, this has to be tested.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:17 pm

@Jookie:

Do you have any plans or ambitions to make a CosmosEX version for the Falcon?

I am desparately waiting for a USB Host controller solution for Falcon.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:40 am

dbsys wrote:Do you have any plans or ambitions to make a CosmosEX version for the Falcon?

Some people here wanted the SCSI / Falcon version, so I said I might take a look at it, but later as I'm busy with the ST versions... So in case if interest in the Falcon being high enough I could do that, but I would need some help with changing the driver for Falcon (where people use it with Magic or Mint).

dbsys wrote:I am desparately waiting for a USB Host controller solution for Falcon.

Wouldn't CTPCI or something similar be a better choice for that? I'm not following the Falcon part of the Atari world, so you might know better :)

atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Postby atariancom » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:49 am

With the new Pi being released, B+, at the same price as the old version means there are going to be plenty of model b's being sold by people who want the latest version and at a very good price - just picked one up for £17. I dont think you would gain any advantages using a B+ with CosmosEx.

I look forward to receiving mine:)

Keep up the good work Mr Jookie

Steve

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:53 am

atariancom wrote:there are going to be plenty of model b's being sold by people who want the latest version and at a very good price - just picked one up for £17. I dont think you would gain any advantages using a B+ with CosmosEx.

A quick reminder for anyone who will buy Raspberry Pi B separately - just be sure to get the proper (newer) revision of model B, not the old one (the old one wouldn't fit in), it should look like this:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/sony-rasp-pi.jpg

Arkemath
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Arkemath » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Received today.
I don't know when I will have the time to try it, however...

AtariSTfan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AtariSTfan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:01 pm

This looks like the need to have upgrade for any ST.

Just curious, could some of the Raspberry PI memory be used on the ST side, like a ramdisk or something?

Also is there a limit on the memory size the SDcard or USB pendrive can have?

If using a extra powersupply for the CosmosEx what is the minimum Amperes it should have?

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Got mine too. Seems nice but i have problem mounting the USB memorystick.
I formatted 1gb stick using WinXP in FAT format, then ran the config tool, assigned translated drive to D, reset ST, ran the CE_FDD but see no letter D to load any images...

What did i do wrong?
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby greatguy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Got mine yesterday. Hopefully I'll have some time next week to play with it for a while.
Swedish retro computer fair
http://www.retrogathering.se

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 pm

AtariSTfan wrote:Just curious, could some of the Raspberry PI memory be used on the ST side

The RAM can't be used directly of course because there is no link from the memory controller to CosmosEx (and no need for one!)

Indirectly the Pi's RAM is being used as an ACSI hard drive, floppy emulator and keyboard / mouse adaptor.

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:40 pm

I've not really touched ST stuff for about 20 years so can someone answer these questions for me;

1. I have a 1040 STFM with TOS 1.02. Do I need additional software to use the HDD modes of the CosmosEX?

2. Is there an ST program/applicatoin for imaging floppy disks to the .ST format? My first plan using the CosmosEX is to copy all my ST floppies to an SD card (or USB drive or whatever).

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:53 pm

For imaging floppys to .ST u can use Petari's Floppy Image under Windows, (provided u have a Windows PC with a working FD and u install the driver that comes with the program).
u can look for it at
http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm really after one for the ST as some of my disks are formatted with more than 80 tracks (9 sectors per track) which PC floppy drives seem to struggle with. If I use my original ST that I formatted the disks on I figure I'm more likely to get a good image.

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:26 pm

I think that a viable option is to use MSA to create MSA images and then batch convert them all to .ST on a PC using MSAconverter (http://msaconverter.free.fr/index-uk.html)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 am

Question regarding payment with PayPal

I click Pay for Order and select Paypal
I see a page with 2 options ...
What should I do from there? There is no "Pay button" ?
Does that mean that I should go to my Paypal account and enter the information my self?

Thanks Jean

EDIT: I went ahead a did the payment directly from my account using your mail address and selected "family and friends" with the amount specified :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:24 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Question regarding payment with PayPal

I click Pay for Order and select Paypal
I see a page with 2 options ...
What should I do from there? There is no "Pay button" ?
Does that mean that I should go to my Paypal account and enter the information my self?

Yes, exactly... I guess you wouldn't be able to select that 'family and friends' which has lower fees than the 'buying goods' option.

frickler
Atarian
Atarian

Postby frickler » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Hello,

my cosmosex arrived today.

Can someone post images how he placed the device into the st.

AtariSTfan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AtariSTfan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Would it be possible getting an uncased CosmosEx device?

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:39 pm

Jookie, my CosmosEx arrived today. Thank you so much, it was neatly packaged and the build quality seems top notch, like I am getting used to buying stuff from you :D

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Sowden wrote:Quick question Cyprian. Whats that port on the left side of the box, close to the switch there? and is that an sdcard slot underneath the leds there? Thanks.

I'm preparing myself to setup the CosmosEx tomorrow. However I recognized the HDMI port but couldn't find any information what to use it for. Is it or will it be an implemented feature? Or is it for debugging the RP only?

Arkemath
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Arkemath » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 pm

I still haven't had the time to try it... anyway, I have already some stupid questions !

Is it possible to only plug it on ASCI and not on floppy cable ? (or floppy only and not ACSI)

Knowing that there is a micro/mini/Idunno USB port probably for power supply, do I still have to plug the power supply from the floppy disk ?

Well, that's all :)

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jcarvalho » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:41 am

Hello Jookie!!! Recieved CosmosEX yesterday! AWSOME construction quality. Sorry the noob question but here it goes. Can I leave the power button in "ON" position, fit it inside atari case, put cover on and when I power atari, the device is also powerd and use it, or I need to power the device before power the atari?

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:13 pm

jcarvalho wrote:Hello Jookie!!! Recieved CosmosEX yesterday! AWSOME construction quality. Sorry the noob question but here it goes. Can I leave the power button in "ON" position, fit it inside atari case, put cover on and when I power atari, the device is also powerd and use it, or I need to power the device before power the atari?

Can't say absolutely about the CosmosEX, but I did exactly that with my Ultrasatan inside my STacy and
it works fine that way. Eventually, I'm planning on replacing that US in my STacy with the CosmosEX.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nada-san » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Received mine today! Looking forward to test it this weekend. :D

Great build-quality, by the way. After the first look i wonder why the hdmi-port was not mentioned by jookie. Is it planned to function as a video-audio-output in one of the next firmware-updates? That would be a very convenient solution! 8) Or does it work already?

Regards,
nada-san (aka Sodan/Stax)
https://www.microzeit.com/
The Atari ST and the Creative People

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”