CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby Cyprian » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:05 pm

actually, for me WiFi support is a lot more than 'nice to have'
My router is in another room therefore I would avoid a return to the Ethernet cable.
Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Jookie wrote:
ely wrote:Does this mean the SDCard image currently supplied will need to be updated in the future? I hadn't really thought about that.

Well, id nothing goes wrong, then it won't be needed, hopefully the software updates will be enough.

Good job because you cannot really get to the Pi's SD card without unscrewing the case :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:38 pm

I've made and uploaded a couple of videos, more to come later...

Unpacking CosmosEx ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LXotXrZMw

Connecting IKBD injector - sandwich type
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgyitJ2RsU4

Connecting IKBD injector - Mega ST / TT type
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLeddpBuL6c

Mounting and connecting or Raspberry Pi to CosmosEx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-xkgD7yR1A

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:05 pm

alexh wrote:I'm having lots of Cosmo-sex :)

cool,
mine just arrived :)

Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

Sowden
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Sowden » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Quick question Cyprian. Whats that port on the left side of the box, close to the switch there? and is that an sdcard slot underneath the leds there? Thanks.

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:14 pm

on the front panel from the left to the right:
ETH, 2x USB, reset button; SD card slot

and on the left side, near to the power switch is hdmi port

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Cyprian wrote:reset button

I would rather call it floppy image switch button :) I have to update the pictures and text on my web, it currently shows the older version of device.

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:22 pm

let's say you are right ;)

attle
Atari User
Atari User

Postby attle » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 am

Hi Jookie, nice videos. :) Will an old Raspberry Pi without the PCB mounting holes sit too loose in the box?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:15 am

attle wrote:Will an old Raspberry Pi without the PCB mounting holes sit too loose in the box?

It will be loose in the box, and you would have trouble inserting the ethernet cable and USB devices. Also some pins on the expansion port changed since that time, so it wouldn't work...

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 am

My Rasp Pi Model B is one from the initial release I didn't realise they'd changed the design slightly. I'll have to have a look and see if it's okay or not.

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:34 am

Jookie, back to WiFi question.
That usb wifi TL-WN725N works with stock RaspberryPi after manual instalation ("Instrukcja instalacji" on that page).
http://aukro.cz/miniaturowa-karta-wifi- ... 08134.html
Do you know if it will be working with CosmosEx?

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:36 am

Ewww. I actually did not realize there were changes over the differnet models, other than the memory expansion.

I only have the old pi model. Are you certain it wont work Jookie?

<edit>

Some digging around leads to:

2 models of 256mb RaspberryPi's:
rev 1: no mounting holes
rev 2: mounting holes

I suppose the rev 2 also has the GIO change, compared to the rev 1. So I _assume_ that if one has a model b that has 256mb /but/ has the mounting holes, they are *safe* :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:27 am

Cyprian wrote:Jookie, back to WiFi question.
That usb wifi TL-WN725N works with stock RaspberryPi after manual instalation ("Instrukcja instalacji" on that page).
http://aukro.cz/miniaturowa-karta-wifi- ... 08134.html
Do you know if it will be working with CosmosEx?

I have no idea... There is some wifi support in the linux distro included in CosmosEx, but I have no clue if the drivers for this specific wifi adapter is available. But you can be the first one to try out ;)

Anyway, for better chances I would go for 'Wi Pi' usb interface - it's more expensive than others (but not the most expensive), but this one is intended to work with Raspberry Pi, so the drivers are more probably there for this one than for any other.

wietze wrote:Some digging around leads to:

I suppose the rev 2 also has the GIO change, compared to the rev 1. So I _assume_ that if one has a model b that has 256mb /but/ has the mounting holes, they are *safe* :)

Well, you can try ;) I can only test the device with the Raspberry Pi's I include in it, I have no idea what other version & revisions are there and how much they are in/compatible to the required version of Raspberry Pi. I guess that everybody who bought the device without Raspberry Pi thought that he might hassle with issues like these...

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm going to have to dig my RaspPi out and have a look at what version it is. I've had it since they were first released but it's been collecting dust pretty much ever since until I found a use for it. Then I found this :D

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Brume wrote:I have received mine today. It looks a wonderful product but...

I've plugged it: it booted properly. So I wanted to run some MSA files stored on a SD card (there is HDDriver on the same SD Card, too).

So, I've tried to configure the CE_CONF.PRG in order to activate the SD card and access the MSA files.

Too bad, I've probably made something wrong: now the SD card boots with HDDriver on it, but I can't access to the CosmosEX disk driver nor CE_CONF.PRG anymore.

I had this problem too, you will need to download the files, and run them from hdddrive to get back to the device. I will post a link (assuming Jookie is ok with it, until theres a link on his site) in a sec

edit:

http://frummel.org/~weedz/atari/configdrive.zip

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 pm

FYI all,

jookie's second massmail on the 25th of June to all who had registered was classified as spam by my Gmail. Be sure to check :)

/Troed - second batch, no worries

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:16 am

Jookie wrote:
wietze wrote:Some digging around leads to:

Well, you can try ;) I can only test the device with the Raspberry Pi's I include in it, I have no idea what other version & revisions are there and how much they are in/compatible to the required version of Raspberry Pi. I guess that everybody who bought the device without Raspberry Pi thought that he might hassle with issues like these...
I've dug my RaspPi out and it is indeed a Rev 1. I guess I'll just have to try it and see how it goes.

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby galax » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Probably would be much easier to have its own sub-forum under Emulators & Tools, along with HxC etc. Then one thread per bug/howto/feature request/announcement etc.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:30 am

Hello, the issue of SD card being on ACSI bus before translated disk causing files not to be read from translated disk is now fixed, please update your firmware, test it and report if it works for you, too ;) (ce_conf -> Update software -> Update). Little mistake was made in Hans (the hard drive chip) firmware.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 am

Seems like it is not currently possible to pay with PayPal. Any idea when it will be available?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:29 am

DrCoolZic wrote:Seems like it is not currently possible to pay with PayPal. Any idea when it will be available?

In 2 weeks, that means around 29.7.2014...

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 am

As I am currently travelling and I was not able to transfer money due to bank protection procedure.
Thanks for the info i am not in hurry anyway

AnakiMana
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby AnakiMana » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:59 am

Hi, I was wondering if the newly announced Raspberry Pi B+ model will be compatible with CosmosEx (http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing- ... el-b-plus/)? It sounds like the case would need a revision to make room for the extra USB ports. The price is the same, but several improvements have been made since Pi Rev B. I'll be buying my RPi separately from my CosmosEx and would prefer have the newest/best hardware.
Edit: If it's possible but needs more time, I don't mind waiting. I'm really happy already with my UltraSatan. :-)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:12 am

AnakiMana wrote:Hi, I was wondering if the newly announced Raspberry Pi B+ model will be compatible with CosmosEx (http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing- ... el-b-plus/)? It sounds like the case would need a revision to make room for the extra USB ports.

Not in the first batch - the cases are already made. Or you could modify (cut) the case yourself. I might do the changes for the next batch, but I'm not sure if:
- I should make the case fit only model B+ -- this could be a problem if you and me could get only normal B model, the new model might be sold out (e.g. now from some suppliers are the waiting delays up to 90 days for Raspberry Pi model B)

- or it should have empty space in the front panel in front of Raspberry Pi, so the case could contain model B or model B+, but the bigger hole on the front panel would look ugly

The redesign of the the case will take additional 1 month between batches (1 week for drawing new one, making prototype, measuring; at least 3 prototypes would be needed, so 1 month approx.).

AnakiMana wrote:...would prefer have the newest/best hardware.

The only improvement for you is the extra USB port, the other improvements do not matter (power supply part from Raspberry Pi is not used as it is powered through GPIO connector; the extra pins on GPIO connector won't be used; the different mounting holes are no benefit to you).

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”