micro cosmos information?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

micro cosmos information?

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello, I purchased one of these before Jookie shut his business down.

It did not come with any information.

Any chance we could have a sticky post.. or someone could give me links to information on this.. so that I have some idea how to use it?

OR would the manual for the full cosmos apply except I omit what is missing??

Thanks

James

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: micro cosmos information?

Postby alexh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:46 am

Bikerbob wrote:OR would the manual for the full cosmos apply except I omit what is missing??

I don't have one but I believe this is the case

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 am

So is this forum on here dead?

The only reply I got is from someone who does not have one?

Well I guess I will cross my fingers and hope that most of everything that is in the basic documents on the site covers the micro as well.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 am

microcosmos.jpg

So I am going to assume that is is not fully inserted. I see a spring.. it did not click and lock.

This is right out of the shipping box. disappointing.

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 am

Mate, you should ask a specific question instead of complaining that you're not getting support for a device which author had to sell underpriced due to lack od time and motivation to continue...

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 pm

The sidemounted card slot is for the Atari accessible card used as an ST harddisk.
The slot below the ACSI connector board must contain the RaspPi boot image with the CosmosEX software.

You can power the whole device through the RaspPi MiniUSB connector. left of the HDMI output.
You should power the MicroCosmos and wait for 5s or so before powering the ST. Try booting without other devices first and without any ST formatted SD card. If the config drive shows up, you should be able to get into the setup program and get other things working.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

athensnet
Atari User
Atari User

Postby athensnet » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm

The linux image for the sd card is here:

http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/ce_ ... -01-03.zip

...and short manual for writing image is here:

http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=332

By jookie

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Yes, I bought it with the Linux image .. it is in that slot, and looks good.. though I have not tried to boot it up.
So if I want to have a hard drive image, which was my main point for the device, I need to get this slot fixed I am guessing?
I have to order some stuff from Digikey for an 8-bit project I am doing, so I guess I can buy a micro sd slot from them.. anyone know a part # etc?

Thanks for all who posted. And Mikro if you took the time to read the original post.. it was a specific question.. is there a specific manual for the micro cosmos as opposed to what I can find for the EX. Also from what I know here in North America.. It took me over 2 years to get this micro Cosmos, because everytime he started production again it sold out.. so when I got notification that this micro was coming out I bought it.. even though I wanted an EX for the floppy images. So Mate.. I think I am in line.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 pm

So this one looks like it. Hopefully Jookie is still around.

I have emailed him with no response, also PMd him on here no response.

If you can point me in the right direction. Thanks

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

athensnet
Atari User
Atari User

Postby athensnet » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:56 pm

If i can understand well it is supposed that the sd slot is broken?
Microcosmos you got has two parts. The initial microcosmos that actual is a satandisk the upper board. If you had only this board In this SD slot you should put an Atari formated SD and boot the machine. Since you have the PI also (the board down with the USB ports) put the Linux SD in the slot under the asci connector and when you boot the machine even if you do not have inside the upper board any SD card inserted you will see the drives mounted by the PI with the tools of cosmosex

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 pm

thanks athensnet, I understand all that. But I I do want to have an ST formated HD.. so I think I need that slot on the cosmos itself correct? its not like this would have been shipped to me with the slot broken on purpose? because its a 2 part item? I assume?

James

athensnet
Atari User
Atari User

Postby athensnet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:36 am

I am sorry to hear James that the SD port came broken.
Indeed the idea is to have a ST formatted SD.
I am using it without the PI
I do not think was broken on purpose, and furthermore Jookie is a respectful enthusiast committed to help the atari community.
Do not forget that he created Satandisk. JUST poo. happens......
Just to ease your problem for the moment you can use a USB stick on the PI as a "translated" HD readable from atari to check the rest of the system.
Yiannis

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Sorry.. I think you misunderstood, I ment slot broken on purpose so that I would not use it. aka in the pi version you dont use it. I could have worded that better.. my bad.. sorry.

OK.. good on the usbstick.

I examined the slot more closely, took the top plate off and good a good look at it. This might be all that goes in on this slot. Too bad Jookie was not available around here anymore, I am sure he could have answered this on my first post, but I will get a system up and running and try this out. I might be fine as is.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:16 pm

So i get the micro cosmos to boot. I get a shared drive and a config drive, but it has nothing to do with that slot in the cosmos board.

So in that slot I need to get.. or format an SD card in ST format? I will need to figure out how to do that.

James

athensnet
Atari User
Atari User

Postby athensnet » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 pm

First of all go to config drive and run the tool to config microcosmos.
The settings are the same as for cosmosex without the floppy emulation : http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=431
You cannot format an atari sd on windows. You need to do it through atari. And for this you need a hard disk driver.
The hddriver is very expensive (the best) but still there is Petari's driver cheaper and simpler you can see on the link below the details to buy it http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php
In the meanwhile you can download from here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html a ready image file to write with the windows software "winimage" on to a sd and try the microcosmos loading from a sd.
So the linux sd in PI slot and the sd with the petaris image file in the microcosmos slot
Enjoy...
More details and tools here : http://atari.8bitchip.info/dataST.php and more tools here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/dataST.php
Actually the site from Petari atari.8bitchip.info is a thesaurus for atari users

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Bikerbob wrote:microcosmos.jpg

So I am going to assume that is is not fully inserted. I see a spring.. it did not click and lock.

This is right out of the shipping box. disappointing.

James

it is supposed to look like that. This is mine:

2017-10-19 20.38.24.jpg

you also need a hard drive driver, like HDDriver to make it work as well.

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 pm

thanks guys. I am trying.. phew.. thats great spiny.. thanks.. I was not able to get ICD to see the cosmos SDcard.. I can boot.. I can see anything I put in the USB.. but not that card.

I downloaded the img. but winimage wants to open up the img.. I cant seem to figure out how to write the whole image.. sorry I'm not figuring this out.

James

athensnet
Atari User
Atari User

Postby athensnet » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 am

ICD driver is not compatible.
On winimage choose the option to restore an image to a HD and a dialog will come up to choose the removable disk and then the image.
Run it as an adimistrator.

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:38 pm

OK, so, I am to understand that there is no free HD driver available to get the cosmos ST portion of the system working? In 2017 there is nothing I can use to get this to work without paying for it first?

So I did figure out how to use winimage (I think) .. it did burn to the microsd, I used ICD drivers to try and load it. Jookies manual says ICD should work. I actually did get something to show up, but it was corrupted.

I think maybe one of the biggest issues, is I am trying to do this on a 520ST. I cannot run sysinfo (is there one that runs on a 512K machine?) several of the ICD programs bomb out. One of the CE programs I think says the 520 is running TOS 1.04, which would be great, but I was not sure it was. I am on a Hires monitor Sm 125, 1.04 is supposed to be rainbow tos right? or if not using sysinfo etc.. how would I identify it as 1.04.

From what I have read, this will not work with TOS 1 or 1.02.

I have my 520stFM open, and ready to do several of my upgrades, so I might have to do that first before getting back to the cosmos.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:19 pm

http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=306 is the page where it explains how I SHOULD be able to format it with the ICD drivers.

I get the driver to load, I have set in CE_CONFIG ID 2 to be RAW. When the ICD driver loads it says ASCI ID 2 unrecognized. If I try and run ICDFORMAT I get 2 bombs, and back to desktop.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Wondering if I am further along to disconnect the cosmos from the pi, at least to get the microsd formatted etc.. then put it back together?

Man I wish there was Atari ST specific IRC chat. Would speed this up.. lol :)

James

athensnet
Atari User
Atari User

Postby athensnet » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 pm

My machine is a 520ste tos 1.06 france upgraded to 4mb tos 2.06 thanks to monster ide.
I am sorry my friend but i had tried also the guide from Jookie with the ICD and I managed nothing!
The image you downloaded has already been formatted with the ppera hd driver and it is ready to boot.
Watch the video with my microcosmos booting this image.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q274cnqwwgrml ... 6.3gp?dl=0
When you are Ok with everything order the ppera hd driver it costs just 10Euros.

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 pm

OK, thanks again for all your help athensnet.

So i put the mSD card with the img in the slot, removed the linux from the pi, powered up and it booted.. like crazy fast.. was fantastic!!

how do I get it to work all together, do I use just the PP driver? do I use the CE_DD driver as well ( you most likely dont know becauase your not using the pi)

Thanks

James

athensnet
Atari User
Atari User

Postby athensnet » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:51 pm

You put the linux sd in raspeberry PI and you boot.
Open config drive and run the config tool change the acsi ids to be 0 for the sd and 1 for the cosmosex and save.
On the next boot you will boot to ppera's sd. (p1)
In order to read both cosmosex(usb/network) and the ppera SD you need to put the cosmosex drivers in the auto folder of the ppera's sd according of the guides from jookie here : http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=415
Some tips : the raspberry PI (the 3 I suppose) needs an adeguate power unit to work good.
It is essential also for microscosmos the power to be enough to keep the connection good.
Use a floppy to copy from the system booting only to cosmosex to the system booting to ppera's sd the drivers in order to have both active
Good luck.

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks again athensnet,

SO the key to the last issue was the Asci IDs .. Lowest ID boots first. I had from Jookie, ID 0 being CE_DD.. so it would not boot the SD first. Also I thought that SD refered to the Pi SD slot, not the CE slot, so I was trying to assign the PP image to RAW.. when it should have been SD.

So now I have ID 0 - SD ID 1 - Raw ID 2 - CE_DD .. and its booting great.
I have also bought the PP drivers.

James

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”