MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Jimjans
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby Jimjans » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:23 am

Hello have a question using the hdmi out on the board is there some type of bilinear filtering because the picture look very unfocused when using the cores compared to the menu?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Cores usually have low resolutions with 200-300 lines wile HDMI output has 720 lines. So, original resolution upscaled using bicubic interpolation. 720 lines almost always is not multiple of original resolution, that's why it's impossible to map original pixels 1:1, that's why some filtering is required.
Use VGA output and find a special monitor supporting all those non-standard resolutions if you are so sensitive to filtering.

Jimjans
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Jimjans » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Cores usually have low resolutions with 200-300 lines wile HDMI output has 720 lines. So, original resolution upscaled using bicubic interpolation. 720 lines almost always is not multiple of original resolution, that's why it's impossible to map original pixels 1:1, that's why some filtering is required.
Use VGA output and find a special monitor supporting all those non-standard resolutions if you are so sensitive to filtering.

Ok I understand could you have a option with no filtering at all just upscaling?

Really like your work so far, the genesis core is much better than the orginal mist and now zub works with the sinclair core, it always bugged with the mist core .

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Just received my memory 3.1 PCBs. Tonight the hard part :)

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Windows SD Install Tool is showing "Update package incorrect", even after Wipe. Install options are "grayed". Any ideas?

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Windows SD Install Tool is showing "Update package incorrect", even after Wipe. Install options are "grayed". Any ideas?

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 pm

toromand wrote:Windows SD Install Tool is showing "Update package incorrect", even after Wipe. Install options are "grayed". Any ideas?

"Update package incorrect" message means that tool doesn't find uboot.img and linux.img located in the very same folder with utility.
Both images should not exceed max partition sizes:
- 1MB for uboot
- 512MB for linux
It's not related to SD Card.

Should be so:
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 2.31.40 PM.png

mister.zip package is optional and used only during Full install - it contains Menu and main Mister executable to write onto FAT partition
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NegSol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby NegSol » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Latest images are found in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=31926

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:01 pm

NegSol wrote:Latest images are found in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=31926

Thanks... I somehow expected the tool to download the latest packages :)

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 pm

In the second attempt I managed to get my newly assembled vertical 3.1 memory module pass 150MHz test. Should I consider this enough, or should I try to achieve 167? Is it important and are there any consequences?

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 pm

In the second attempt I managed to get my newly assembled vertical 3.1 memory module pass 150MHz test. Should I consider this enough, or should I try to achieve 167? Is it important and are there any consequences?

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 pm

toromand wrote:In the second attempt I managed to get my newly assembled vertical 3.1 memory module pass 150MHz test. Should I consider this enough, or should I try to achieve 167? Is it important and are there any consequences?

150MHz is already impressive for the vertical version. How long did you run the memtest? I get errors mostly after 5-10 Minutes at 150MHz.

I have not seen any Board yet that could keep the 167 MHz memtest Green for long.

It also depends highly on the DE10 Nano and it's tolerances. The Connector itself is specified for 50 MHz, so everything above that is already good.

My actual standard is atleast 140 MHz for 30 Minutes. Everything below that will be resoldered. Sorgeligs says in his Hardware Readme that 120 MHz should be sufficient for most cores.
Last edited by gagadagatika on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 pm

I have tested 150 first run for around 10-15 minutes.... started second run and will wait a bit longer now... Is there any config that I should state my speed anywhere?
Funny enough, the first board I assembled cannot pass even 100, but I cannot see any obvious problem.. The second one is running great, for now.

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 pm

I had also some troubles with my first Boards. Do you have a microscope? I was able to rescue all my failed Boards just by checking and resoldering pins with an 55€ microscope (Link)

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm

I have a magnifying glass (actually two :)) and I use my 21MP camera on the mobile to inspect... I might give it a try sometimes later... 150 MHz still running, I think I will turn it off -it seems it can go like this forever...

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 pm

I'm having some strange behavior with the latest release from Github. (SD created with the Linux tool)
My keyboard is now not detected on startup I think most of the time (I have to plug it out and in 'live' to get ut to work.

Also very strange, in Zxspectrum core when the actual game play starts the screen goes black. You can hear the action. Menu works. With the same core and file it was working before.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 pm

I use to go back to menu shift-alt-ctrl before switching cores. Maybe that will solve your issues. Core switch in other cores sometimes does not work and sometimes ends up on a black screen for me too.

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm

NegSol wrote:I use to go back to menu shift-alt-ctrl before switching cores. Maybe that will solve your issues. Core switch in other cores sometimes does not work and sometimes ends up on a black screen for me too.

No, it's not that... It is a specific game at a specific moment.

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 pm

gagadagatika wrote:
toromand wrote:I have not seen any Board yet that could keep the 167 MHz memtest Green for long.

I've just seen "eye-diagram" on oscilloscope and have no illusion about ability to operate on higher frequencies. It's a miracle it operates above 100MHz at all =) Most of kudos go to Alliance Memory chip that doesn't put significant load on GPIO pins and consume 3 times less current than any other SDRAM chips. Power fluctuations are also very high - up to 500mV (remember, Vcc on SDRAM is 3.3V). I wasn't able to kill them neither with massive capacitors not even by detaching power from DE10-nano and powering SDRAM separately from precision lab supply.

Micron SDRAM chips weren't able to conquer even 100MHz.Received also ISSI rated @143MHz but have no desire even test them. 140-150MHz - enough for the purpose.

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 pm

gagadagatika wrote:I had also some troubles with my first Boards. Do you have a microscope? I was able to rescue all my failed Boards just by checking and resoldering pins with an 55€ microscope (Link)

$15 USB microscope from Ali serves same way =)

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:38 pm

toromand wrote:I'm having some strange behavior with the latest release from Github. (SD created with the Linux tool)
My keyboard is now not detected on startup I think most of the time (I have to plug it out and in 'live' to get ut to work.

Keyboard issue most likely related to USB driver in linux. We've spent several days to make it work at least on variety of keyboards (especially Apple wired with USB 2.0 hub). Embedded Linux is crappy with device drivers quality. Could you please provide more details about keyboard you're using?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 am

Also try to use USB hub with external power.

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Also try to use USB hub with external power.

I'm using powered USB hub from day one, and I have started to notice keyboard failures on boot after updating from 0712 version and installation of the mem board. It may be unrelated, but still.. Same keyboard was working before every time. I will test a little bit more to make sure what is going on.

toromand
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby toromand » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Everything seems to be working today - even the Jetpac on ZX spectrum started to work ok again...
BTW, I have noticed a possible bug in the menu for the minimig. I have configured josticks (joypads to be more precise) and decided to change the "fire" button. Unfortunately, it could not detect any other button as fire except the "old" one. I had to manually delete the config file to redefine joysticks.
P.S> minimig working great !

jwdonal
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jwdonal » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 am

Anyone have an extra assembled and tested SDRAM and IObrd they could sell me? Thanks!

Return to “MiSTer”