MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

gagadagatika
Atariator
Atariator

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby gagadagatika » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:26 am

mggk wrote:Oh sorry, on my computer it redirects to item page, but on private navigation it redirects to search, here are the references : S7123-ND for 40 Pin connectors and S1011EC-03-ND for the Arduino pins

UPDATE: I have just measured the connectors on the de10 nano board and It might be a good idea to take a version with 13.6 mm isolation height, like this one: SAM9315-ND. I've just ordered some of those and will check how good they are.

With that you should be able to use a standard male header like S1011EC-03-ND without modification.

Previous Post

The S7123-ND has an insulation height of 0.335"(8.51mm). The following connector is an alternative I have found to sorgeligs connector: SAM10457-ND. That is the cheapest alternative I could find on digikey. I compared both, sorgeligs connector (aliexpress) and the samtec one (digikey) here:

I used in my last build the original one from aliexpress and I had to remove the isolation of the male arduino headers and cut the pins a little bit to fit the hight of the female arduino header on the de10 nano.

Image Image
Last edited by gagadagatika on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

NegSol
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Sorgelig wrote:what about this version?
ao486.zip

Best core so far - really stable display output via HDMI. Thanks a lot! Great to see a 486 machine running on an FPGA.

Doom2 was even slightly playable. I will post some impressions on my youtube channel tonight.

mggk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mggk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:31 pm

gagadagatika wrote:However, I used the original one from aliexpress and I had to remove the isolation of the male arduino headers and cut the pins a little bit to fit the hight of the female arduino header on the de10 nano. so it might be a good idea to take an even higher version like this one: SAM9315-ND. If you have access to an DE10 nano right now, could you measure the the arduino header on the board to confirm the height?

I don't have the board for the moment, i encounter some problemes with the online shop on whichi i've ordered the board. So if they don't answer me by tueseday i will order the board from digikey with the different components.

gagadagatika wrote:I plan to write a wiki page for both boards with all information on each parts, that might be some help for future builds.

Very nice idea :D

NegSol
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Play testing the latest ao486 core - MS-DOS

https://youtu.be/pGBsptqj3XU ao486 - Doom 2
https://youtu.be/9eNJXo36vZE ao486 - Epic Pinball

mggk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mggk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:36 pm

gagadagatika wrote:
UPDATE: I have just measured the connectors on the de10 nano board and It might be a good idea to take a version with 13.6 mm isolation height, like this one: SAM9315-ND. I've just ordered some of those and will check how good they are.

With that you should be able to use a standard male header like S1011EC-03-ND without modification.

Thanks for your help, the order is now ready ! Just waiting for the state of my DE10-NANO, As i've ordered 10 PCB, some of them might be available for sale.

Another question about developement, I'm an absolute beiginner about FPGA developement, and i think that creating a Pong core might be a good start ! I've read that Quartus is the IDE to developp on this board. Do you have any tricks to know before starting developping cores ?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Keep in mind that I/O Board has hole for screw, and height is exactly for 2x20 connectors from my picture. If you will use higher connector, then you will need to add something under the screw holes.
SDRAM board doesn't require screw, so any suitable connector is fine, although i recommend to use the one from my picture. It's not a problem to solder arduino pins without plastic holder.

bernouilli
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bernouilli » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Would it be possible to have the sdram board be vertical but not going up? As I see it on the picture above, if you use the same 90° connector used for the vertical sdram and solder it the other way around, you might be able to place the sdram board against the 2x20 connector. This way it won't take much palace above the board, nor on the side.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:35 am

darn... I missed the run of SDRAM boards. Is anybody planning another run or could make me one?

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 am

mggk wrote:... Do you have any tricks to know before starting developping cores ? ...

Difficult to tell without any knowledge about your state of knowledge. Get yourself a solid foundation in Verilog or VHDL as well as digital technology.

And if you did programming in C or any other programming language before: forget (at least most) of it.

gagadagatika
Atariator
Atariator

Postby gagadagatika » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 am

Newsdee wrote:darn... I missed the run of SDRAM boards. Is anybody planning another run or could make me one?

Yes, I just bought my reflow soldering equipment and want to test it on another batch SDRAM Boards. PCBs + stencils are ordered at easyEDA and DigiKey just shipped the parts. I hope to get the Boards by the end of the week, that would be amazing.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

bernouilli wrote:Would it be possible to have the sdram board be vertical but not going up? As I see it on the picture above, if you use the same 90° connector used for the vertical sdram and solder it the other way around, you might be able to place the sdram board against the 2x20 connector. This way it won't take much palace above the board, nor on the side.

SDRAM v3.2 is horizontal inward direction with Arduino pass through holes. So, it won't protrude to any direction.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 am

Here is new I/O board with classic VGA connector:
20170807_174602.jpg

by the way, you can see SDRAM v3.2 which is Arduino GPIO friendly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gagadagatika
Atariator
Atariator

Postby gagadagatika » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 am

Sorgelig wrote:Here is new I/O board with classic VGA connector:
20170807_174602.jpg

by the way, you can see SDRAM v3.2 which is Arduino GPIO friendly.

Looks Amazing! I see that you have added the Arduino header to the SDRAM Board, that is pretty clever :D Is that a new "Universal" board version or the inward facing one??

edit: oh I just saw that you answered it in your post :D

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:30 pm

New I/O board (v3.1) with classic VGA gerber has been released.

gagadagatika wrote:Looks Amazing! I see that you have added the Arduino header to the SDRAM Board, that is pretty clever :D Is that a new "Universal" board version or the inward facing one??

That's SDRAM v3.2. If you will make this board, don't solder Arduino header like i did. Just keep bare holes. Only solder 3.3v female header. Extensions will be plugged through holes. With soldered female arduino it's hard to attach the board, and hard to solder this female header because both sides are used and need to be clean from solder.

glaucon1984
Atarian
Atarian

Postby glaucon1984 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi,

I'm quite interested in this project, and I've been following for quite some time. The fact that it can run a 486 architecture sets it way above other similar projects.

Despite the ao486 implementation doesn't leave space for an OPL3 chip, would a midi interface (MPU 401) fit?
This could be a great alternative for DOS audio and I suspect it might be simpler than squeezing the Yamaha chip.

There is an implementation based on Atmega micro-controller called "HardMPU" (GPL, open source), this allows an "intelligent mode" that provides much better compatibility with the Roland MT-32 synth. I have no idea if this can be of help, or a micro-controller implementation is a completely different animal.

Although even a UART mode Midi (non-"intelligent") would be great, maybe handling this from Linux and a cheap USB-Midi adaptor...

PeFClic
Atarian
Atarian

Postby PeFClic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:21 pm

glaucon1984 wrote:Hi,

I'm quite interested in this project, and I've been following for quite some time. The fact that it can run a 486 architecture sets it way above other similar projects.

Despite the ao486 implementation doesn't leave space for an OPL3 chip...

Do you think that the ARM part of the DE10-nano board could be used as an external card (somewhat like a disney sound card through parallel port) or better as an internal card (ISA bus -> ARM) ?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Although ao486 has 486 architecture, it's quite slow. At's at the level of slow 386 or fast 286. I don't know if your midi expectations are compatible with such speed.
I think simple MPU401 port emulation shouldn't be a problem.
ARM also can help in emulation.
Just need more developers who will handle this.

Actually, even OPL2/OPL3 can be emulated in FPGA if more efficient code will be available. Current implementation of OPL2 in ao486 is resource hungry as it was written for board with a lot of LEs, thus no optimization was made.

alfishe
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alfishe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Just a bit of fun with thermal camera :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tatouine
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tatouine » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:58 am

@ mggk,

Interested by a sdram board when ready.
Cdt.
DVDO Edge *2 | neoya x2vga 2 | Simple Video Scalar
XRGB-3 | XRGB-mini Framemeister
GBS-8220*2 | SLG3000 | Sync Strike |SLG Scart
HD video Converter | SCART+HDMI to HDMI+HDMI
Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:25 pm

I would like to buy a RAM add on board. Hopefully someone is willing to ship to the US.

gagadagatika
Atariator
Atariator

Postby gagadagatika » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:42 pm

My SDRAM PCBs just got shipped by easyEDA and will arrive on Monday. I have ordered components for all three versions, so you can choose which version you would like. I just shipped one board to hong kong, so I think we could try to send it to the USA too. Shipping cost was 6,20 EURO with deutsche post. Just send me an PM and I will update you when they are ready.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:25 pm

@gagadagatika PM sent.
Thanks

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:30 pm

By the way, if someone is willing to help with Wiki or even with code, let me know - i will add you into MiSTer group on Github.

mggk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mggk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

So, i've recieved everything today !

I've soldered everything and wow that's amazing ! It's a pure pleasure to see C64 and Amiga on this machine ! Hope to see an ST core
Thanks Sorgelig for the awesmoe work ! i'll start learning programming on FPGA, if i can help the project, it will be with pleasure.

Just a question, i saw that the FPGA going hot very quickly, is there any thermal system to cool it down ?

@tatouine let's see this in PM :)

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 am

mggk wrote:is there any thermal system to cool it down ?

heatsink

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”