Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MiST Atari ST settings

Postby vebxenon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:51 am

Hello:

How are the most compatible Atari ST settings for you? Which TOS do you use?

Regards,

Salva

DanyPPC
Atari User
Atari User

Re: MiST Atari ST settings

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:28 am

I use the TOS 2.06 as recommended, but for full compatibility i use a TOS 1.02 for older games that do not work.

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:12 pm

DanyPPC wrote:I use the TOS 2.06 as recommended, but for full compatibility i use a TOS 1.02 for older games that do not work.

Thanks for the answer :D . I'm using 2.06 since I bought MiST and also 1.04 and 1.02 for compatibility issues :-)

But for example, Anarcho Ride http://www.hd-videofilm.com/anarcho/inf ... o-ride.php doesn't work to me, I always get bombs. :shrug:

DanyPPC
Atari User
Atari User

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Some games anyway do not work, some require the fire button press but they do not start, even with a DB9 joystick connected.
AtariST core still require work.

brainois
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby brainois » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello

I am tempted by the MIST, but I read above that there are some compatibility issues.
How does it compare with an emulator (e.g. HATARI) in term of compatibility?
WHat is the best solution: MIST or emulator when it comes to
- playing games
- using "regular" software (atari works, k-spread, etc...)
- programming with compiler like lattice C?

Thank you for your advices.

François

fury23
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fury23 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 pm

brainois wrote:- using "regular" software (atari works, k-spread, etc...)

I am using DynaCadd on Mist and it works excellent in steroids mode (~48MHz) on 1280x1024 monitor. Even, i can save files directly to the SD card.
Look and feel for me is better than on any emulator i tried before.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:46 am

fury23 wrote:
brainois wrote:- using "regular" software (atari works, k-spread, etc...)

I am using DynaCadd on Mist and it works excellent in steroids mode (~48MHz) on 1280x1024 monitor. Even, i can save files directly to the SD card.
Look and feel for me is better than on any emulator i tried before.

Since this has come up before, how do you define look and feel? I have a friend with a Mega STE and Hatari does not feel much different once I start playing a game using the retro Atari CX-40 joysticks. To me, using a modern game pad ruined the experience for me.

I am not trying to start an argument. I am simply trying to see what advantage Mist wood have over my current emulation solution.

Bob C

fury23
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fury23 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:49 am

brainois wrote:Since this has come up before, how do you define look and feel?

Hatari and other emulators are excellent pieces of software, and I used them for years.
What I like about Mist is a kind of simplicity that reminds me of the Atari.
Instead of having multiple floppy disks, now i have couple of SD cards, for lo-res games, hi-res games, hires apps...
Combined with 17" FlexScan L568 monitor I found optimal configuration for both games, and other software.
It's hard to define look and feel, but that piece of hardware that boots and works similar to the my old Atari ST, somehow extends dream...

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:14 pm

darwinmac wrote:I am not trying to start an argument. I am simply trying to see what advantage Mist wood have over my current emulation solution.

hatari is also my emulator of choice and it's very good. But MiST has some advantages too: instant boot, completely silent because it doesn't need any fan (but you can also use hatari on a raspberry pi), small form factor, direct access to the midi ports. I really has the feeling it's more like a real atari because of the FPGA (for some games, especially on Amiga, the video display is a lot smoother than on emulators, no tearing, but maybe I didn't manage to configure the emulator well).
You can also use your original joystick on the MiST (there is a compatible port), but I think there are some usb adapter for using with emulators as well.

Most of the soft I'm using are compatible. I think emulators can be "more compatible" because there are some workaround for some softs and bugs.

Sometimes I just start the MiST and my computer remains turned off. Or after a working session I turn off the computer and enjoy the silent of the MIST.

The emulators have indeed a great advantage: you can save memory snapshots, it's very useful for games. Anyway, I'm very satisfied by my MiST!

brainois

Postby brainois » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:06 am

Hello

Thank you for your answers.
I think I will start with a Raspberry Pi 3 and Recalbox or RetroPie, considering the price difference and the lack of HDMI on the MIST.

Then, I will consider a FPGA based solution.

Thank you

François

braincell1973
Atariator
Atariator

Postby braincell1973 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi,
I have used emulators for years and they have come so far its unreal....

Like any solution FPGA or Emulation , there will be some setting up, finding most compatible settings etc as nothing really simulates a REAL machine exactly yet.

I love Hatari but its seriously hard to get smooth scrolling out of it, and when you do it will sometimes lose a frame every 500 or so, enough to be annoying, to me this is caused by many reasons, and not wanting to start a debate on the subject it is currently a drawback of emulation.

Some people perceive lag, as always YMMV.

As difficult as it is too explain, an FPGA gives a different user experience, notice i said different to better or worse !!!.

The only way to know for sure is to use a mist, I think FPGA's still have far to go to match emulation from a compatibility point of view but i have no trouble in reccomending one....

Lee

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:10 pm

brainois wrote:I think I will start with a Raspberry Pi 3 and Recalbox or RetroPie, considering the price difference and the lack of HDMI on the MIST.

yes, a pi3 will be cheaper (around 70 € with sd cards, psu, pi board, gamepads, case, vs 210-230 € for the MiST with shipping ) and will be good enough for every purposes. I enjoy both (I like also the vga output on the MiST so I can use my second PC screen as a monitor). With the Pi you have access to more console emulations, such as SNES, Mame, Megadrive... MiST is more for older 8/16 bit computers (with a Megadrive core engine being developed)

For your pi3 you can have a look at this, the BeeKey/BeePi: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29835 for a powerful Atari, for if you're more into classical ST stuff (and also general emulator such as NES, SNES and such) there is recallbox or retropie. I prefer Happi Game Center though, it looks better and seems more optimised (and also for French speaking users): http://happi-game-center.com/

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 am

Remember that FPGA is not emulation: it's hardware.

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”