MIST 1.3 plus

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

christianlucio
Atarian
Atarian

MIST 1.3 plus

Postby christianlucio » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Anyone have seen the MIST 1.3 plus on Lothareks Website ?
Can we excpect an easier way for VGA-hdmi conversion ?
Good to see an updated version although I hoped to see it with direct hdmi Output :)

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: MIST 1.3 plus

Postby Newsdee » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:02 am

What is new in it? As far as I can tell it has the MIDI connectors built-in, but that means we lose the four expansion port pins for other uses?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:23 am

There is a changelog file at Lotharek's page. Unfortunately I don't see updated schematics.

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 am

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Newsdee wrote:What is new in it? As far as I can tell it has the MIDI connectors built-in, but that means we lose the four expansion port pins for other uses?

Wow thats unfortunate..

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Newsdee wrote:What is new in it? As far as I can tell it has the MIDI connectors built-in, but that means we lose the four expansion port pins for other uses?

What other uses are they for? I got the one with MIDI built on.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:28 pm

leech wrote:

those connectors are more useful without the midi connectors, for example they modded the Spectrum core to use those connectors for loading from real tapes/cassette, on the Atari ST core you can connect it up to a ttl serial device and use a modem emulator to connect to internet based BBS's etc.. lots more useful than being dedicated Midi ports.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 pm

ericgus wrote:
leech wrote:

those connectors are more useful without the midi connectors, for example they modded the Spectrum core to use those connectors for loading from real tapes/cassette, on the Atari ST core you can connect it up to a ttl serial device and use a modem emulator to connect to internet based BBS's etc.. lots more useful than being dedicated Midi ports.

Hmm, wouldn't a USB to serial converter handle getting a modem set up if one was so inclined? Never have tried anything out with a Spectrum.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm

leech wrote:
ericgus wrote:
leech wrote:

Hmm, wouldn't a USB to serial converter handle getting a modem set up if one was so inclined? Never have tried anything out with a Spectrum.

Core would have to be written to utilize it, then you have the problem of finding one that actually works, often they are labeled the same but have different and incompatible chips inside. I know the MiniMig author has "talked" about bringing support for that and a usb network adaptor but its yet to surface.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:59 pm

There was a thread on here about a USB Network interface that works with the ST Core. I bought one, but have yet to set it up on my MiST. (I have far too many toys and not enough time to use them all).

rais974
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rais974 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 am

Hello,
please excuse the ignorance, I just bought mist 1.3 plus but perhaps reading this thread would be better the basic model?
Thank you

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:54 am

leech wrote:What other uses are they for? I got the one with MIDI built on.

You could have a Raspberry Pi Zero inside the MiST as server :)
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=30837&p=306945&hilit=raspberry+mist#p306945

Lotharek doesnt seem to sell the MIDI-PCB alone anymore.....in the past it was available at
http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=151

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Yea its unfortunate that most "FPGA" systems lack provisions for supporting legacy devices / ports .. as it was the MiST had those RX/TX lines on the midi header that could be repurposed .. but now it seems it doesn't even have those easily available with the 1.3 redesign.. It wouldn't be so bad if the mist had a generic I/O header that core authors could adopt for things like cassette tape support or for things like linking to a Pi .. etc..

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:22 pm

rais974 wrote:Hello,
please excuse the ignorance, I just bought mist 1.3 plus but perhaps reading this thread would be better the basic model?
Thank you

It depends on what you are planning on doing.. if you are just strictly interested in games then you are probably ok..

the problem you hit is if you say want to use a real tape player to load games from cassette into the Spectrum core, or say use the Amiga or Atari ST cores to "dial" out over the internet via a connected Raspberry Pi (or nullmodem to a real pc). etc.

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:40 pm

I make a lot of use of the on-board serial lines in the Amiga core, but it looks like they addressed the usb power connector, which really needed to happen.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

rais974
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rais974 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:41 pm

ericgus wrote:
rais974 wrote:Hello,
Thank you

It depends on what you are planning on doing.. if you are just strictly interested in games then you are probably ok..

the problem you hit is if you say want to use a real tape player to load games from cassette into the Spectrum core, or say use the Amiga or Atari ST cores to "dial" out over the internet via a connected Raspberry Pi (or nullmodem to a real pc). etc.

Thanks for the tip, I will think to make the best choice for my needs.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:38 pm

I was always hoping that an updated MiST would have a faster/larger FPGA so we could get a Falcon in a tiny box.

But I suppose that would be MiST 2.0.

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:16 am

No need to do dialups on Amiga core... ethernet will be used via USB. Like the ST core. And well, Midi ports are mandatory for a real ST experience, and they work also on Amiga.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 pm

vebxenon wrote:No need to do dialups on Amiga core... ethernet will be used via USB. Like the ST core. And well, Midi ports are mandatory for a real ST experience, and they work also on Amiga.

Its not there yet.. (at least last I checked its not enabled in the Amiga core ) .. and USB ethernet doesn't replicate the same thing as "dialing" using JR-Comm over the serial port (via TCPSER on a PC or {better} a raspberry Pi) (nor will it allow for things like connecting to an ESP8226 SerialWifi adaptor).

Thing is, nearly all FPGA implementations (Arcade, Mist, etc) all seem to lack any consideration for support of legacy ports (with the exception of the ST core and Midi ports and the Speccy core and tape loading), this is a tragic shame as the best thing FPGA has going for it is cycle accurate recreation of the original hardware (much more so than say an emulator on a PC does).

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Well, in my Amiga 1200 I only used PCMCIA Ethernet. Amiga OS 3.x support Ethernet. No need to old and slow dial up. And yes, Minimig AGA core maintainer is working on USB Ethernet.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 pm

I agree that a reasonable expansion port is missing on the Mist. Even the two ports RX/TX is not enough for many purposes. Another signal and you could get a SPI interface, SIO for the Atari 8-bit, etc.

I don't think the MIDI is worth loosing an expansion port. And in the worst case, an expansion port can stil be used for MIDI if the user wants.

USB on the Mist is not connected directly to the FPGA. Can't replace a direct expansion port.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:02 am

I think I was also reading that only specific cores will even allow the 9-pin ports to work with gamepads / joysticks etc, is that accurate? Granted, last I tried the SMS core, I couldn't even get it to display anything, on a monitor that does 15khz as well...

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:36 pm

leech wrote:I think I was also reading that only specific cores will even allow the 9-pin ports to work with gamepads / joysticks etc, is that accurate? Granted, last I tried the SMS core, I couldn't even get it to display anything, on a monitor that does 15khz as well...

MiST is fully open source. There is no such term "not allowed" in MIST. You are free to modify the code for your needs.

SHIFT838
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SHIFT838 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:11 am

leech wrote:There was a thread on here about a USB Network interface that works with the ST Core. I bought one, but have yet to set it up on my MiST. (I have far too many toys and not enough time to use them all).

I bought one of these and was able to set it up with the ST core. I can say it works (but not well). I get a better response using a serial adapter and tcpser than with the network adapter that is for the ST.
Chris Schneider
SHIFT838
http://shift838.99er.net

Live TI-99 CHAT
http://shift838.99er...ex.php#TI-99ers

FuSiON BBS Information:
http://sourceforge.n...ource=directory

Online for Telnet only at:
fusionbbs.ddns.net : Port # 9640

DialTone
Atarian
Atarian

Postby DialTone » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:46 am

I have a v1.3 with MIDI add-on board, and I also use the MIDI ports as an extra serial port with a core I'm working on.

I've built an adapter cable which connects to the DIN connectors and is brought out to header pins on a lead for plugging in an FTDI basic board (such as you would need for connecting directly to the onboard serial too).

Very simple to configure, only 4 wires needed (2 in each DIN connector). Just need to be aware that because the RX on MIDI is opto-isolated, you need to provide power to the opto (which is why there is the 4th wire in the cable - others are GND/RX/TX as expected). Also remember to configure your FTDI board for 3.3v not 5v.

Admittedly, this isn't as flexible as the 4 I/O lines, but if you only need 1 out and 1 in, shouldn't be an issue.

Return to “MiST”