Genesis / Megadrive core ported to MiST

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Gehstock
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Genesis / Megadrive core ported to MiST

Postby Gehstock » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:02 pm

yes is supported, https://github.com/phoboz/fpgagen/tree/ ... Configs/TV Copy to SDCARD Root
Not only my Cores for Mist : https://github.com/Gehstock/Mist_Cores
My Cores for Mister : https://github.com/Gehstock/Mister

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 pm

thanks a lot, I've tried a few games, and it's very promising!

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jotego » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:51 pm

We are still working on this and with many problems to solve, but I'd like to share how it sounds as of today. I got JT12 almost done, that covers the YM2612/YM3438 part. I got PSG sound from the Sega Master System core today. Phoboz and robinsonb5 are working on the video and system aspects, particularly on the flickering problem.

As I said, still issues but have a look:

EDIT: I see that my work versions of the .rbf files got leaked! :oops:
I have deleted those trial versions and uploaded the current one here. Please report sound issues to the github issue page or to this thread.

crashman

Postby crashman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Increible.

Thanks for your work!
260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STFM, 1040STE, 4160STE, STACY 2, MEGA ST, MEGA ST2, MEGA ST4, MEGA STE, TT030, FALCON030, FALCON030 with Centurbo 2rB, Firebee
SH204, Megafile 30, Megafile 60, Megafile 44
SM124, SM146, SC1224, SC1435
Satandisk, Ultrasatan, HxC SD, Hxc SD Slim, NetUSBee, CosmosEX, Unicorn, Gotek HxC
2600VCS, LYNX, LYNX II, JAGUAR

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks to everyone that's involved in this project. Great Job!!

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:47 pm

@ Phoboz, robinsonb5 & jotego (and everyone else involved):

!!!THIS IS AWESOME!!!
(Sorry for shouting.)

Thanks for your hard work, fantastic progress!

DanyPPC
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Good work !
;)

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:08 am

It's great to see a collaborative effort like this. Keep up the excellent work guys!

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:27 am

Nice will have to try it out.. is it just me or is it one of your bugs that needs fixing but the sonic ring "ding" seems a bit.. different in your video..

phoboz
Atariator
Atariator

Postby phoboz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:17 am

ericgus wrote:Nice will have to try it out.. is it just me or is it one of your bugs that needs fixing but the sonic ring "ding" seems a bit.. different in your video..

The LFO is still missing in the sound chip. So whenever that is used to modulate the signal, there will be a differance to the sound, once the LFO has been implemented.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 am

Wow, super impressive ! Great work :-) !!!

BTW does anyone know why most cores are off-centered on my old PAL TV (a part of the picture is missing on the left on the NES, PCE & MD cores) while I have the whole picture perfectly centered with Amiga & ST cores ?
Amiga user since 1993 ;-)

phoboz
Atariator
Atariator

Postby phoboz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 am

mahen wrote:Wow, super impressive ! Great work :-) !!!

BTW does anyone know why most cores are off-centered on my old PAL TV (a part of the picture is missing on the left on the NES, PCE & MD cores) while I have the whole picture perfectly centered with Amiga & ST cores ?

In order to exclude that this has to do with 50Hz(PAL) vs. 60Hz(NTSC), can you try the Sega Master System (mist sms) core with scandoubler_disable?
In that core you can switch beteween NTSC and PAL.

seastalker

Postby seastalker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Really nice to see this core being developed! Big thank you Jotego & Phoboz!!!!

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jotego » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Newsdee wrote:It's great to see a collaborative effort like this. Keep up the excellent work guys!

Yes, I am very happy to be working in a team this time. It is much better than doing things alone :D

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:36 pm

phoboz wrote:

In order to exclude that this has to do with 50Hz(PAL) vs. 60Hz(NTSC), can you try the Sega Master System (mist sms) core with scandoubler_disable?

Hi ! I checked ! So with the SMS and Amiga core, when switching to NTSC, the picture is still perfectly horizontally centered. With the PCE, NES and MD cores, at 60 Hz, the picture is cropped on its left.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Heh, BTW, do you also see some strange "flickering" portions of the screen with some cores at 15 KHz that are not visible at 31 KHz ? I thought that was due to the beta genesis core, but also noticed that for instance in the NES core (in Mario 2). I'm 100% sure there was no such flickering in VGA.
I'm refering to some parts of the screen that are flickering. Not sprites. I have the feeling some gfx artifacts occur only in 15 KHz.

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jotego » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:53 pm

mahen wrote:Hi ! I checked ! So with the SMS and Amiga core, when switching to NTSC, the picture is still perfectly horizontally centered. With the PCE, NES and MD cores, at 60 Hz, the picture is cropped on its left.

The difficulty here lies in that we cannot reproduce the problem. Maybe we can add some workaround as having slider controls that affect the horizontal position of the image...

phoboz
Atariator
Atariator

Postby phoboz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:03 pm

mahen wrote:
phoboz wrote:

Hi ! I checked ! So with the SMS and Amiga core, when switching to NTSC, the picture is still perfectly horizontally centered. With the PCE, NES and MD cores, at 60 Hz, the picture is cropped on its left.

The genesis core generates simpified sync signals, while the sync signals are more complex for the sms core. The simplified sync signal works fine on my flatscreen TV, but maybe it doesn't on a CRT TV. There are also differances to when the first sync pulse is sent, so this might shift the image starting position? I will create an issue for this in the fpgagen repository, but a change to this will require a lot of work due to how this was already implemented in fpgagen, and it hasn't the highest prio for now.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:33 pm

I can confirm the bug report, not only on CRT, but on flatscreen TV too, and this affects the VGA picture also.

Last edited by DrOG on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks again for the team working on this core. That's outstanding! :D

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:13 am

One strange thing I noticed is that the music in Dragon's Fury is slowed down... even though the whole game seems to be at full speed. Not a big deal, but thought I'd mentioned in case you're looking for bug reports / noticeable differences with the original.

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jotego » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:30 am

Newsdee wrote:One strange thing I noticed is that the music in Dragon's Fury is slowed down... even though the whole game seems to be at full speed. Not a big deal, but thought I'd mentioned in case you're looking for bug reports / noticeable differences with the original.

Thank you. I will check it out. I have heard about games whose music speed depends on the timing of a signal called busy, which the sound chip provides. Because this timing was different in YM2612 (Megadrive) and YM3438 (Megadrive 2) that caused severe speed differences on Megadrive2. The timing of my busy signal might be closer to the Megadrive 2 model.

As I said, thanks and I will check it out.

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jotego » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:52 pm

This has been a hectic week of development. Last sunday I went through all the posts in the spritesmind forum trying to collect any missing aspects of the Yamaha chip. I took notes in the documentation section of JT12 github site. While reading the posts, I realized how the keyon/keyoff (enable/disable sound of each operator) must have been done originally so I went on to modify my code. While doing it, I also changed the MMR unit to something that must be much closer to the original implementation as well. It was a huge change. And when I tried it out, I found that some sounds were wrong, but some others weren't.

It was the most confussing thing. Channel 6 seemed wrong most of the time and channel 1 always right. Eventually it looked like the upper channels were wrong (4,5,6) but there was only one line specific to those channels in the code and that could not be wrong. I wrote a comprehensive random test for the MMR, that would write random information with random timing and then compare the stored information in JT12 with the expected values. After +10000 random writes, not a single miss. That was good but also bad, as I still have the bug there.

I spent a whole day looking at clocks in the MiST system and adding constraints just in case it was yet another bloody timing issue. Now almost every single clock has a constraint! Nonetheless, the problem was not there either :-(

From Wednesday to Saturday I was trying to figure it out until on a different simulation, with visual inspection of the signals I found that the generation of four signals marking the timing of each operator had gone wrong when I changed the counter scheme in the MMR unit. It was a minute to fix it and all the problems went away!

Now I'm back on track with my pending items: LFO and also check the SSG envelope generation as I am not getting the same sound than in the original chip.

DanyPPC
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Very well, you are a great !

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Something is really funny in Thunder Force IV : ingame music stalls until the player's ship fires. Then music seems to be playing at the shooting pace.
(I have no idea if what I say in understandable ;)

Return to “MiST”