NES core on MiST

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: NES core on MiST

Postby Newsdee » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:52 am

Weird that Fire Emblem doesn't work, but FE Gaiden seems to run fine. Maybe this is the MMC2 bug sebdel mentioned earlier.

sebdel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby sebdel » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:04 am

I don't know, Fire Emblem is supposed to be MMC4. I'll have a look at the game loader, I think it's not NES2.0 compliant. Maybe the mapper id is just not properly decoded. Today I'm looking at the Aquarius Mini Expander though ;)

edit: ok, I suppose you found the same version of Fire Emblem than me and that is a weird one, it uses a custom mapper (165), described here: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_165. I don't know if I will bother with that honestly: It would unlock that particular rom, period.

sebdel

Postby sebdel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:20 pm

Another day, another build...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByKxevpwe6i9Tzluc2x4U0N2Y2c

What's new:

- It is more robust when parsing the ROM header. It parses iNes2.0 format properly and is immune to the infamous 'DiskDude' corruption. It should enable a bunch of games. I tested it with Fantasy zone and it runs now. Pretty, but difficult game :P
- So called "four-screen" mirroring is supported for MMC3. That enables Gauntlet.
- Mapper 206, maybe ? I couldn't find any ROMs to test it.

From now on, I'll take requests. There are so many mappers/games. If you have a high profile game that doesn't run, post it below. No promises, but at least I'll have a look at it.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:01 pm

You could try to do mapper 12 and 16, which were used for several DragonBall/Z and Gundam games (of which there probably are translations).

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Bandai_FCG_board

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:42 am

Or if you'd like a challenge... MMC5 with 1MB PRG and CHR ROM capacity... which is more than the Everdrive and Powerpak can do.
It would allow running recent homebrews/advanced rom hacks such as Legend of Link:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2136/

sebdel

Postby sebdel » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:32 am

I've seen the mmc5 spec... No, thank you. Maybe later ;)
That being said, increasing the ROM capacity seems doable.I was considering it in order to support the nes2.0 spec.
Being able to save ram/eeprom to SD card seems more important for now. I'll try that next, maybe through an entry in the osd.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:30 am

Getting save RAM support would be a great step for the core, so we can play all the longer games to completion!

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:33 am

sebdel wrote:Another day, another build...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByKxevpwe6i9Tzluc2x4U0N2Y2c

What's new:

- It is more robust when parsing the ROM header. It parses iNes2.0 format properly and is immune to the infamous 'DiskDude' corruption. It should enable a bunch of games. I tested it with Fantasy zone and it runs now. Pretty, but difficult game :P
- So called "four-screen" mirroring is supported for MMC3. That enables Gauntlet.
- Mapper 206, maybe ? I couldn't find any ROMs to test it.

From now on, I'll take requests. There are so many mappers/games. If you have a high profile game that doesn't run, post it below. No promises, but at least I'll have a look at it.

Oh, so now Fantasy Zone japanese version works, isn't it?... I'll try it at the evening :cheers:

Klax japanese version runs with graphical glitches and Klax US doesn't work at all. I'll test more games.

Thanks very much! :)

Regards,

Salva

PS: Could the red led blinking get back again when no cart is inserted? (first versions of the core had this soft blinking when it was loaded)
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:39 am

Has last core been uploaded to MiST Github or it's only available here?

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:45 am

it's been added to the binaries github, yes

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:49 am

Newsdee wrote:it's been added to the binaries github, yes

Ok, it's because I don't see it here https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... /cores/nes :shrug:

Regards,

Salva

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:56 am

vebxenon wrote:Ok, it's because I don't see it here https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... /cores/nes :shrug:

nes_160906.rbf ?

We should probably move the old ones to a subfolder...

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:08 am

Newsdee wrote:
vebxenon wrote:Ok, it's because I don't see it here https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... /cores/nes :shrug:

nes_160906.rbf ?

We should probably move the old ones to a subfolder...

Well, I was speaking of nes_160909 version ;-)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Oops. I updated the binary now... but for some reason, when I do a full recompilation, the result has some graphical glitches (kind of "snow" noise). I can replace with the binary above, but could somebody else try recompiling from source just in case?

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Thank you sebdel! The scanlines are a great addition for my TFT screen!
And thanks also to Newsdee for the 8bitdo support!

sebdel

Postby sebdel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 am

I just rebuilt from upstream and it's binary identical to the binary I built last week.
Technically, I guess the scanline implementation could have an impact on timings of the video signal. On my monitor, I don't see any difference before/after that patch though. Do you see this "snow" on vga or in 15KHz mode ?

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:57 pm

On VGA, and it happens on both my monitor and my capture card. Do you see anything with the core I uploaded to github?
I suspect it could be my Quartus somehow... but not sure what. I don't think it' s the code necessarily.

This is what I see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf7anDeVBDA

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Newsdee wrote:On VGA, and it happens on both my monitor and my capture card. Do you see anything with the core I uploaded to github?
I suspect it could be my Quartus somehow... but not sure what. I don't think it' s the code necessarily.

This is what I see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf7anDeVBDA

I don't have this problem... I've tested Tennis using last core and I only have some glitches on the top (flickering).

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:44 pm

vebxenon wrote:I don't have this problem... I've tested Tennis using last core and I only have some glitches on the top (flickering).

Are you using the github core? (the one I compiled) I don't get this effect of sebdel's binary linked above.
If it works for you then I'll leave the github as is for now.

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:52 pm

The github core, yes. I "only" got flickering on the upper part on some games.

Well, I've been testing some games, none of them work well: Karnov (Japanese version. Game boots but corrupted graphics) , Fantasy Zone (Japanese Sunsoft Version), Fantasy Zone II (Japanese Sunsoft Version), Klax (Tengen), Hard Drivin (Tengen Proto), Xybots (Tengen Proto) and Bionic Commando (European version. Too many glitches).

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

sebdel

Postby sebdel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:59 am

vebxenon wrote:The github core, yes. I "only" got flickering on the upper part on some games.

Well, I've been testing some games, none of them work well: Karnov (Japanese version. Game boots but corrupted graphics) , Fantasy Zone (Japanese Sunsoft Version), Fantasy Zone II (Japanese Sunsoft Version), Klax (Tengen), Hard Drivin (Tengen Proto), Xybots (Tengen Proto) and Bionic Commando (European version. Too many glitches).

The only ones I have tested from this list are Fantasy zone (Jap) and Klax. Fantasy zone runs perfectly for me, what is the problem on your side ?
And Klax is corrupted but that's not new, nor fixed by me. RAMBO1 mapper games are hit and miss. Klax, Skulls and crossbones among others, have graphical glitches. But road runner and shinobi are perfect. I suspect the IRQ timings of the RAMBO1 mappers are just bad and those games are doing some kind of HBL based tricks.

For other games, I would appreciate if you took the time to extract the header (first 16 bytes of the file), using hexplorer on windows of just "hexdump -C" on linux. Then we could sort between flat-out unsupported games and supported but not working. It would be interesting to look into the latter category as there might be low hanging bugs to fix.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:47 am

I've started a systematic checking of games in my SD card. It will take a while but I'll put up a Google spreadsheet to track results.

In the interim here's a master list of mappers and games that use them:
http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt

sebdel

Postby sebdel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 am

Newsdee wrote:I've started a systematic checking of games in my SD card. It will take a while but I'll put up a Google spreadsheet to track results.

In the interim here's a master list of mappers and games that use them:
http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt

This list is not accurate. There are a lot pirated games out there and the pirates were porting the games to the mappers they could manufacture (quite clever if you ask me).
The full name of the file + the output of "hexdump -C -n16 your_file.nes" would be very helpful.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:11 pm

sure, I'll get the headers of the games that don't work well

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:04 pm

sebdel wrote:
vebxenon wrote:The github core, yes. I "only" got flickering on the upper part on some games.

The only ones I have tested from this list are Fantasy zone (Jap) and Klax. Fantasy zone runs perfectly for me, what is the problem on your side ?
And Klax is corrupted but that's not new, nor fixed by me. RAMBO1 mapper games are hit and miss. Klax, Skulls and crossbones among others, have graphical glitches. But road runner and shinobi are perfect. I suspect the IRQ timings of the RAMBO1 mappers are just bad and those games are doing some kind of HBL based tricks.

For other games, I would appreciate if you took the time to extract the header (first 16 bytes of the file), using hexplorer on windows of just "hexdump -C" on linux. Then we could sort between flat-out unsupported games and supported but not working. It would be interesting to look into the latter category as there might be low hanging bugs to fix.

Remember that Fantasy Zone from Tengen is a different version than the japanese Sunsoft one :wink: Tengen's version works well with some few glitches. Fantasy Zone Japan does't boot at all :( Klax japanese version is playable.

Regards,

Salva

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Return to “MiST”