New MIST core: PC Engine!

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: New MIST core: PC Engine!

Postby Newsdee » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:18 pm

For the black screen it might be an issue of loading in US (TG16) mode vs. the Japanese version (PCE). If I remember correctly you can press T or P (instead of Enter) to choose the mode.

But some games definitely dont work (Tailspin) and some have graphical issues (Splatterhouse, Shanghai) or missing mappers for SF2. Still hoping for a 2015 update on this core :P

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:46 pm

I am not sure the author of that core reads this forum. You may of course send him a message through his blog http://retroramblings.net/.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:09 am

He only ported the original core by Greg Estrade so its going to be difficult to expand unless he gets a sudden interest in PC Engine.

For what it already supports (a large majority of HuCard games), this core works great though.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:30 pm

He spent a lot of time improving the core by adding all the menu and selection stuff. There's likely a blog entry by him with more details on what he did.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:36 pm

Yes absolutely, not only he made the core more usable but he also made it work both for the MiST and TC64. A lot of work has gone into that and I really appreciate it.

Reading his blog he mentions that he isn't that familiar with PCE architecture (in response to a question about enhancements) so I understood that he might not plan work in that direction for some time. He might improve the core in other ways such as improving the video, which is probably more of a general thing.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:56 pm

@newsdee : yep, the issue I refer to is different ; I'm referring to games that do work when the PCE core is the only core on the SD, but that give a black screen when on the same SD as other cores...

@masterofgizmo : yep, I already exchanged a couple of messages with the author of the post, but he doesn't seem aware of my issues, which is why I'm asking for some advice or other experience here :)
Amiga user since 1993 ;-)

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi ! I'm looknig for help regarding this core :) I still have this very same issue : I get a black screen after loading any game. Well, it does depend on the SD card and on the files on it. I tried with a blank SD with few files and got a black screen. I tried with a bigger one with many files on it ; it first worked and stopped working after making a few modifications to it.

It's such a good core it's a pity there is this big issue with it :)

I talked to the guy who made the port via his blog but it seems I'm the only one to experience the problem, and he doesn't seem to have much time anymore for this.

There's a real mystery regarding those SD cards. I never found a SD which worked with everything. Some cards (with the very same content, I insist on this) trigger big incompatibilities with the Amiga core, some with the NES core, some with the PCE core.... This latter being especially difficult to get running while it's excellent :)

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:41 pm

hello Mahen,

I have no issue with this core. I've installed it so time ago, I made several changes on my sd card (SanDisk Ultra 8Gb, as recommended) and I've just tested it again, without any problem. Have you tried writing your cards with an other sd adapter on your PC?

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:25 pm

I finally found a SD that seems to work with every core I use (PCE/NES/A1200) : a 32 GB Transcend (SDHC I). I made all my tests with the very same content. Strange...

vitaliyfx
Atarian
Atarian

Postby vitaliyfx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello Mahen,

Could you kindly add the full description of model for your 32GB Transcend SDHC (without cores compatibility issues, especially with PC Engine) ?
Thanks!

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 pm

I need to check my PC engine card, but I normally use Sandisk Ultra 16GB or 32GB cards for all my cores.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:59 pm

SD interface is fully handled by ARM Firmware. 8bit Core has no direct access to SD card.
The only difference i can see is SDHC and non-SDHC. Except this, if card works with one 8bit core, it will work with other 8bit core.

Amiga and ST cores handled specifically, so i don't know how precise SD interface they get from FW.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:07 pm

I'm not that sure about this SD card theory. I'll make further tests but I don't have the skills to make them in a relevant way.

There's one thing that is sure : the same directory structure / SD content can give different results. I used to have MAJOR issues with the Amiga core (many games wouldn't work) and it was clearly occurring with a specific SD card. I don't know if the way the filesystem is created, the files copies order, etc. play a role. Obviously, I didn't compare SD + firmware combinations...

However, regarding the PC Engine, results are more random and inconsistent. It can work with a given SD and then stop to work when modifying other stuff on the SD (not PCE related). I'll make more tests with the 32 GB Transcend with which it seems to work 100% of the time. It might not be the case.

BTW: I don't have the exact SD card reference. It's written on it : Transcend 32 GB micro SDHC 1 class 10. (black grey). It's not a high end one.
Last edited by mahen on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:17 pm

vitaliyfx
Atarian
Atarian

Postby vitaliyfx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:20 pm

Thanks for detailed answers.
Great community!

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:04 pm

I now use another SD that initially didn't work with the PCE, along with a dozen other cores. For some reason, even after tweaking a lot, it still works. One clue : I didn't modify anything in the PCE roms subdirectory. Not sure this post is very useful :)

Asmith
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Asmith » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:50 am

Hi,

Just received a MIST , the pc engine was one of the core i bought it , but unfortunatly it's not working for me at the moment : i tried 5 LCD monitors , 3 TV with VGA , and one CRT monitor but it's always the same result : display out of range or not recognized .
Any advice , tips , recommendation ? (except mini rgb .. ;) )

Thanks,

A_s

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Which binary core are you using? You should get an image at least.

Edit:
Make sure to also include a base config file.
See my notes here:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... CoreDocPCE

Asmith
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Asmith » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:50 pm

Newsdee wrote:Which binary core are you using? You should get an image at least.

Edit:
Make sure to also include a base config file.
See my notes here:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... CoreDocPCE

i'm using the core FPGAPCE_20141130.rbf and the CFG file present in the binary release. Good to know that i should at least have an image :) ,
I will try with another SD card , and will try also tu update my mist (at this moment the atari core is crashing ... )

A_s

Asmith
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Asmith » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:17 pm

So , a brand new Sandisk 8Gb SDCard and this core now work like a charm ... :)

A_s

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:42 am

Hi ! Does anyone manage to get the core to work properly at 15 KHz (with a SCART cable) ? I used the provided "TV" config file and also put the disable_scandoubler=1 line in mist.ini (which is applied properly for other cores) but this core is still being displayed at 31 KHz.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:46 am

I think you can switch it to 15khz in the menu?

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Hmm, I thought prefs were not saved properly which explains why there was 2 different config files provided.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Okay, I booted on my projector, changed the settings, tried to save them, but they were actually not saved. (or not loaded as the provided "TV" config file doesn't seem to be applied)

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:44 pm

The picture is scrolling vertically in TV mode, I think this core has separated H- and V-sync in 15kHz mode instead of composite, so it's not compatible with 'standard' minimig VGA2SCART cable.

Return to “MiST”