New MIST core: PC Engine!

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Re: New MIST core: PC Engine!

Postby Gryzor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 am

Newsdee wrote:The file selector scrolls if you keep pushing down arrow... I discovered the feature accidentally :-)

Haha yes it does :D
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 am

For some reason, I enjoy it more than when using MESS plus some filters on a regular PC. Maybe it's because there is no underlying OS, or because there is zero input lag at all or because the rendering is closer to the original. What do you think guys, what makes using an FPGA more enjoyable than a PC + emulator ?
Amiga user since 1993 ;-)

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:44 am

Heh, been wondering myself to tell you the truth...

I do enjoy the FPGA more myself. I think it's got to do with the fact that it's a step closer to the real machines somehow - you get something physical... But of course that's just psychological, indeed without the underlying OS and only for hardcore retro gamers.

But of course I can easily take MiST with me everywhere with a Tv...
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 am

Same here, and I've been trying to understand it too. I think it's a combination of things.

Objectively, the MiST has two main advantages over the rest: an "instant-on" authentic feeling and an extremely low power consumption.
Some might not care about the first, but the latter can be measured and is an undeniable advantage: it uses ~2.2W, which is less than a Raspberry Pi (~3W) and a Chinese NES clone (~3.3W).
In my book, this low power consumption means it is a better machine than the original - because it needs less power to do the same task :) [of course compatibility needs work but it will get there]

Then perhaps more subjectively: the MiST being open-source means we can tinker with it, and it was kept at a (relatively) low cost by a judicious choice of connections (I prefer USB over PS/2).
This makes it a good machine to mess around with - EXACTLY like the old Amiga and Atari machines back in the day which inspired the demoscene and other creative endeavors.

Some of the above probably applies to other FPGAs; but the final bit is that the MiST uses an Altera chip which seems to have many owners (as dev boards), which creates a good base of potential developers.
I think this is why we have 13 cores running, with (hopefully) more to come as people get inspired to try something new. :D

So basically... beyond just running the software (which we can do in emulators), it is an amazing little piece of hardware :wink:

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:44 am

Also, as far as the Minimig core is concerned, some people like myself, really have a better experience than with an emulator. UAE is very demanding. I use FS-UAE under Linux which is getting close to WinUAE, but I still had a big trouble getting a proper 50 Hz display, no input delay etc. For some reason, the picture I get with the Mist (although finding a compatible monitor is challenging) is much more pleasant to look at.

And the fact you focus on a single thing at a time.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:15 pm

These discussions assure me that the last two years of spare time were well invested. Thanks guys, this kind of feedback really is a great motivation.

And be assured that there are more cores being worked on. The rate at which new cores are being released will probably slow down somewhat. But there'll definitely be new and exciting cores.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:33 pm

More cores? Wooooh!

Wish there was a CPC one, but I know it's slim chances...

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Everyone has their favorite retro systems. I'd personally love to eventually see Intellivision and TI994A. I also wouldn't mind seeing TRS80 and CoCo computers, just because I've seen those around for decades and have very little experience on them.

The MIST is already so much more than I expected. I was banking on good Atari ST and Amiga support, and we have that, but we obviously got and continue to get a lot more.

As far as emulation vs MIST.. I can really only speak from an Amiga perspective, because that's the machine I have the most experience with, by far. I've had Amigas since the beginning.. since the first retail A1000s were publicly available. I've also used UAE extensively since it was a mostly pre-functioning Alpha. UAE is amazing. You can do a lot with it, but there's something different about the MIST running the Minimig core. I can't explain it, but when I'm using it, it FEELS absolutely real. For all intents and purposes it is an Amiga. UAE is like a really great (and somewhat embellished) picture, but it doesn't feel the same way. At least it hasn't yet. I can't quite put my finger on it or explain it, but there's a spark of something different here. You've created something that is way beyond the sum of it's parts.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Couldn't agree more with everything that's been said here. FPGA simulation of a machine is so far preferable to me for many reasons over emulation, and the reason I've chased this dream (from a consumer point) for so long and unfortunately had some quite expensive paperweights happen over the years. Knowing how FPGAs work and knowing that the actual hard/soft layer realization of the original chip designs doing their original thing inside that magical little box gives a feeling to the experience that is unmatched for me.

The MiST has so far and away exceed my expectations that it's simply amazing at this point. As with others I expected a solid ST and Amiga experience, and was looking to replace my minimig with something with much more capability.

Till's physical creation (and all the core work), and all the other hard work by folks creating and porting cores to the system has led to an unmatched experience in the realm of consumer level FPGA 'total package' devices. It truly is fantastic and way beyond the sum of it's parts.

You know, maybe we should split all this discussion off into a 'what does MiST mean for you?' thread :D

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Update #4

2014-11-30 – This release adds support for both long filenames and subdirectories to the OSD ROM selector.

:)

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:12 am

Makes a huge difference! Great update! :D

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:07 am

OH YEAH!!!!

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:03 pm

NML32 wrote:Update #4

2014-11-30 – This release adds support for both long filenames and subdirectories to the OSD ROM selector.

:)

Thank you!!
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:26 am

I took remowilliam's suggestion and started this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27238

(for the off-topic discussion that poppep up)

tatouine
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tatouine » Sun May 10, 2015 2:52 pm

core pce seems to be broken with lastest firmware_150417_r1029.upg (and nes_140922_r342.rbf too...)
Games don't boot.
Last edited by tatouine on Sun May 10, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVDO Edge *2 | neoya x2vga 2 | Simple Video Scalar
XRGB-3 | XRGB-mini Framemeister
GBS-8220*2 | SLG3000 | Sync Strike |SLG Scart
HD video Converter | SCART+HDMI to HDMI+HDMI
Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)

tatouine
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tatouine » Sun May 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Does anyone can test this core_FPGApce2014.11.30.rbf with latest firmware?
it was my vga screen... i used an other one and it's ok.
Last edited by tatouine on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Sun May 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Works fine for me with beta firmware_150427_usbmouse.upg .

tatouine
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tatouine » Sun May 10, 2015 3:50 pm

And nes too is working fine ?

mgreima
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mgreima » Sun May 10, 2015 7:01 pm

beta_150427 and NES works here.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon May 11, 2015 6:32 am

Small tip: if you have problems with a specific core, try making it the startup core and see if it helps.

tatouine
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tatouine » Fri May 15, 2015 7:40 am

Ok, i will test this method ASAP.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Fri May 15, 2015 1:39 pm

I notice in your sig you have more upscalers/VGA processors than me. :-) Sometimes it's worth plugging the MiST directly to a VGA screen to check it's not your setup introducing issues.

I have a small VGA switch box plugged in reverse to quickly send direct video to the TV for exactly this purpose (the other route is HDMI via upscalers).

tatouine
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tatouine » Fri May 15, 2015 6:16 pm

When MiST is connected, it works directly on VGA monitor input.
Scalers are for my old consoles. ATM, only DVDo is plugged on TV with HTPC. The rest is in boxes... lack of space. :(

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:52 am

Hi everyone !

I love the PC Engine core, it's clearly in my top 3 and not far from being perfect :)

Do you guys know if multiple USB gamepads are supported ? (for Bomberman for instance)

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Hmm, this is my second favorite core but I still encounter big issues with it. In some cases (when it's not the default core especially) I cannot start any game (black screen, back to menu). And when browsing too large directories, I get random characters in the filenames.

Also, by curiosity... It it possible to map the select and start buttons to keyboard keys ?

Thanks again a lot for this nice port :)

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”