MiST - FPGA ST

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MiST - FPGA ST

Postby farvardin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:05 am

most keyboards I see still has the 2 windows key, strange you can't find any. Of course a software solution would be better than buying a new one.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:29 am

I'm interested in the answer as well, that's what kept me from buying a new keyboard, although my current one has more & more issues :)
Amiga user since 1993 ;-)

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:40 pm

I am borrowing a keyboard with two windows keys for now, but ctrl is still oddly placed, I want caps-lock to function as ctrl :)
-- kolla

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Is there any place on the MIST board I could solder on a RTC btw? :p
-- kolla

arf
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby arf » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:15 pm

kolla wrote:Is there any place on the MIST board I could solder on a RTC btw? :p

Yes: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/UsbRtc

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:19 pm

arf wrote:
kolla wrote:Is there any place on the MIST board I could solder on a RTC btw? :p

Yes: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/UsbRtc

Ah yes, I saw that one. However, it takes up a USB port and there are no description (that I can see) on how to build it.

A shame the MIST does't have an internal expansion port, imagine the possibilities if there was an expansion port more or less compatible with the one on the Pi :)

http://thepihut.com/products/mini-rtc-m ... spberry-pi
-- kolla

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:27 pm

USB should offer plenty of expansion with the added bonus the peripheral also work on a PC... :)

The one thing that would be nice to have is cartridge ports. I reckon a driver could be written for the Retrode2 (which appears on a PC as a disk drive with a single file), adding work on the firmware to be able to read from it. But it's too much work to be worth it, one can just dump the ROM with the Retrode and put it on the SD card...

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:23 pm

For ROMs that are purely software, yes. Most ST ROMs perform a function (VidiST, RoboKit, Stereo Master, Spectre GCR, the list goes on). I guess it would be nice if some of these could be emulated in FPGA but then the issue would be the physical I/O.

A generic ROM port solution would be nice but sourcing the ROM port sockets are virtually impossible as the ST used a smaller than standard pitch (IIRC Atari used 2mm pitch ports rather than 2.5mm or something along those lines).
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Apart from keyboard and mouse, I cannot think of anything to use in the USB ports that I would also want to use on a PC :)
-- kolla

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:17 pm

How capable is is USB host controller on the MIST? Will a USB hub work? (I will try later). For Amiga, the coolest would be if the core gave access to the USB host controller from AmigaOS, as Poseidon, the USB stack, has a whole range of drivers.
-- kolla

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Coming back to the keyboard question regarding the Windows keys, what's the issue with having the Windows key as the left Amiga key, and the Menu key as the right?

I'm interested to know, as I was about to order a wireless keyboard to use with MiST.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:02 am

Yes, the menu key must be mapped as right-amiga, way too many keyboards come without right-windows key, and there is already F12 (plus I believe I found even yet another key that pops up the menus earlier today).
-- kolla

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:17 am

kolla wrote:I am borrowing a keyboard with two windows keys for now, but ctrl is still oddly placed, I want caps-lock to function as ctrl :)

Yes, that's the correct location for Control. IBM f**ked up here with their PS/2 keyboard layout...

What about using a real Amiga keyboard with your MiST? PM me if you're interested, I'm sure we can work out a solution.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:38 pm

kolla wrote:Yes, the menu key must be mapped as right-amiga, way too many keyboards come without right-windows key, and there is already F12 (plus I believe I found even yet another key that pops up the menus earlier today).

The problem is with small wireless keyboards. These have all sorts of keys or not. Many of the don't have a f12 key. That's why the menu key also opens the OSD.

You can of course always modify the firmware for your preferred keyboard layout. But it's difficult for us to maintain multiple versions.

Another option would be to add a mist.ini option for this. But that's some work ...
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Isn't there already an option to modify USB keyboard mapping via mist.ini ?

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:52 pm

@MasterOfGizmo - my intention was to modify a firmware, that was what I was intending to do when someone told me I could just use MIST.ini instead. Not sure what is best, modifying the Minimig core (which I am somewhat familiar, I also modified the original Minimig firmware to swap alt/windows keys, and put ctrl on capslock key), or modify the ARM firmware - what do you think? The Right-Amiga key is very essential when using Amiga, it is the key for 90% of the short cuts, to do copy, cut and paste etc.

@Joska - I do have a KeyRah somewhere (not V2) so maybe later, or where would you suggest I plug in a real Amiga keyboard? :)

@Newsdee - yes, but it apparently it does not work with certain "special" keys, which is why I brought this up, see my earlier post, the below does not work:

[mist]
scandoubler_disable=0

key_remap=39,e0 ; Swap CAPS and left CTRL
key_remap=e0,39

key_remap=e6,e7 ; right ALT send right GUI
key_remap=76,e6 ; MENU send right ALT

key_remap=e2,e3 ; Swap left ALT and left GUI
key_remap=e3,e2
-- kolla

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:36 am

kolla wrote:@Joska - I do have a KeyRah somewhere (not V2) so maybe later, or where would you suggest I plug in a real Amiga keyboard? :)

I was thinking about making an USB-adapter for Amiga 2000/3000/4000 keyboards.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:19 pm

joska wrote:I was thinking about making an USB-adapter for Amiga 2000/3000/4000 keyboards.

I the MIST can auto detect the presence of such an adaptor (e.g. via usb vid/pid) we can implement some adjustments in the mists firmware so the adapter doesn't need any further configuration. One question is: Which button would open the OSD?

Building the same thing for an Atari ST keyboard is actually one of the many things i still plan to do for the MiST.

A simple and cheap "Atari ST/Amiga mouse to USB adaptor" is another one ...
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:25 pm

kolla wrote:@MasterOfGizmo - my intention was to modify a firmware, that was what I was intending to do when someone told me I could just use MIST.ini instead. Not sure what is best, modifying the Minimig core (which I am somewhat familiar, I also modified the original Minimig firmware to swap alt/windows keys, and put ctrl on capslock key), or modify the ARM firmware - what do you think? The Right-Amiga key is very essential when using Amiga, it is the key for 90% of the short cuts, to do copy, cut and paste etc.

I am not the author of the remapping feature and i think the "modifier keys" (shift/ctrl/alt/gui) are handled differently and cannot be easily exchanged with other keys. But i may actually be wrong here. Imho it would be best to allow the to be remapped via mist.ini just like any other key. That way there wouldn't be a need for custom firmware or core versions which will finally cause some confusion.

What's the typical mapping Amiga emulators use? Perhaps the Amiga core/firmware should also implement that by default?

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:18 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:Building the same thing for an Atari ST keyboard is actually one of the many things i still plan to do for the MiST.

I have already made one. It handles mouse and one joystick connected to the keyboard as well.

ST_USB_keyboard.zip

Not sure if you can autodetect it though.

I suggest to use a keyboard combination to open the OSD. The adapter can generate F12 by itself when a certain combination of keys is pressed.

Making an Amiga version doesn't look like much work, but I need a keyboard to test it with. Does anybody know if the A500 keyboard use the same protocol as the 2000/3000/4000 keyboards?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo Even

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Would it be enough to map Right Ctrl to Right Amiga?

At the moment the firmware maps both Left and Right Ctrl to a single "Amiga Ctrl" (there's only one in the Amiga keyboards).
Seems to me mapping to Right Amiga would be a better choice; no need to allow random remapping from mist.ini ...

It just needs a change in user_io.c, line 1286 (second 0x63 should be 0x67):

Code: Select all

static const unsigned short amiga_modifier[] =
      { 0x63, 0x60, 0x64, 0x66, 0x63, 0x61, 0x65, 0x67 };

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:19 pm

Hey, yesterday I tried to test VROOM game in several versions. All failed, I receive some OSD disk read errors or bombs... I've tested using three different TOSes...

Regards,

Salva

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Newsdee wrote:no need to allow random remapping from mist.ini

Well, I will not be happy until I can map whatever keys to whatever I want them to - it is not about having a key, it is also about having it where I want it.
Using right-ctrl as right-amiga does not work for me - all I want is right-alt as right amiga, and right-windows/menu as right-alt, along with swapping left-windows and left-alt, and swapping left-ctrl and capslock. That is what _I_ want, no more, no less.
-- kolla

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Btw - I now have bluetooth enabled my MIST on the serial port, but I need some help on how I can do a "software pullup" on Rx on the MIST?

http://minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=656&start=0
-- kolla

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:42 am

I suppose it is better to fix the mapping between keys of the USB keyboard (and have it handle modifier keys); that is more generic than just changing the USB->Amiga mapping.

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”