SV&LCD flicker problem

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

SV&LCD flicker problem

Postby sagan2 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Hello all,

I have problem with SV and LCD monitor in 640x480@60mode (standard TOS res)- before drivers and desktop are loaded LCD monitor flickers...it is Prestigio PW5200 model and on this monitor this usually happens when refresh rate is a bit too low, but monitor itself reports 60 Hz in its menu so I'm no longer sure why this happens...I connected VGA clock to SV with no change...Ordinary CRT monitors when connected to SV in this resolution cause no flickering....Is there a cure to this other than buying less picky LCD monitor? :cheers:

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Re: SV&LCD flicker problem

Postby shoggoth » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:14 pm

sagan2 wrote:Hello all,

I have problem with SV and LCD monitor in 640x480@60mode (standard TOS res)- before drivers and desktop are loaded LCD monitor flickers...it is Prestigio PW5200 model and on this monitor this usually happens when refresh rate is a bit too low, but monitor itself reports 60 Hz in its menu so I'm no longer sure why this happens...I connected VGA clock to SV with no change...Ordinary CRT monitors when connected to SV in this resolution cause no flickering....Is there a cure to this other than buying less picky LCD monitor? :cheers:

Does it happen with the original VIDEL output? The SV output in VIDEL modes is sort of a replicated version of the VIDEL output..
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:18 am

nope, this doesn't happen on videl output, just SV output... :?: I have DVI->VGA cable installed between SV and chasis....but it works normally in other resolutions...

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:26 am

Interesting. Does it only happen before drivers etc are loaded, or does it happen with driver + VIDEL-resolutions?

Tobbe, Henke: Any theories?

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes, it happens before anything is loaded and continues to flicker until NVDI is loaded...when I change resolution under TOS to 256 color (output: SV) I get cristal crisp picture 640x480...But, if I change to 256 color (output: Videl) then I get flicker on my LCD....I have two monitors connected - CRT is connected to Videl and LCD is connected to SV.....Is there something I should look in SV.INF?

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:27 pm

sagan2 wrote:Yes, it happens before anything is loaded and continues to flicker until NVDI is loaded...when I change resolution under TOS to 256 color (output: SV) I get cristal crisp picture 640x480...But, if I change to 256 color (output: Videl) then I get flicker on my LCD....I have two monitors connected - CRT is connected to Videl and LCD is connected to SV.....Is there something I should look in SV.INF?

When you say output: VIDEL vs. output: SV - do you mean the SV vs VIDEL setting in the desktop resolution dialog? (basically this setting doesn't set the *output*, but rather what *kind* of resolution it is. VIDEL-resolutions are hardware compatible with the VIDEL, SV-resolutions are not).

If you connect THE SAME monitor that you're using on the SV to the VIDEL output of your Falcon, and run sans SV-drivers, do you get the same issue?

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 pm

shoggoth wrote:
sagan2 wrote:Yes, it happens before anything is loaded and continues to flicker until NVDI is loaded...when I change resolution under TOS to 256 color (output: SV) I get cristal crisp picture 640x480...But, if I change to 256 color (output: Videl) then I get flicker on my LCD....I have two monitors connected - CRT is connected to Videl and LCD is connected to SV.....Is there something I should look in SV.INF?

When you say output: VIDEL vs. output: SV - do you mean the SV vs VIDEL setting in the desktop resolution dialog? (basically this setting doesn't set the *output*, but rather what *kind* of resolution it is. VIDEL-resolutions are hardware compatible with the VIDEL, SV-resolutions are not).

If you connect THE SAME monitor that you're using on the SV to the VIDEL output of your Falcon, and run sans SV-drivers, do you get the same issue?

Videl output is Falcons video port and SV is Supervidel's video port :) If I connect this LCD to Falcon's video port there is no problem or flickering in 640x480, if I connect this LCD to SV video port there is problem before NVDI is loaded (flickering)...Also, there is no problem if I select in TOS resolution menu (options/set video/operating mode) SV 640x480..., if Videl is selected as operating mode then there is flickering in 640x480....Any ideas?

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:39 pm

sagan2 wrote:Videl output is Falcons video port and SV is Supervidel's video port :) If I connect this LCD to Falcon's video port there is no problem or flickering in 640x480, if I connect this LCD to SV video port there is problem before NVDI is loaded (flickering)...Also, there is no problem if I select in TOS resolution menu (options/set video/operating mode) SV 640x480..., if Videl is selected as operating mode then there is flickering in 640x480....Any ideas?

SV 640x480 doesn't use the same timing as the VIDEL 640x480, and the VIDEL 640x480 is based on values from TOS4. So the results make sense.

This isn't something that can be cured in the driver unless I change the monitor timings, which I won't do. So I'm treating this is a potential firmware issue! Henke, Tobbe - any ideas?

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:08 pm

well, then it is obviously firmware issue which reminds me of romantic problems with finding monitor having compatible refresh rate to be used with ST sometime ago :) Quest for Multisync :) But SV is way too advanced and fine piece of hardware to be left so I guess ;)
Maybe it wouldn't be bad to make a list of susceptible LCD monitors and/or LCD monitors which work without flickering in boot (pre-driver) mode... :cheers:

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 pm

sagan2 wrote:well, then it is obviously firmware issue which reminds me of romantic problems with finding monitor having compatible refresh rate to be used with ST sometime ago :) Quest for Multisync :) But SV is way too advanced and fine piece of hardware to be left so I guess ;)
Maybe it wouldn't be bad to make a list of susceptible LCD monitors and/or LCD monitors which work without flickering in boot (pre-driver) mode... :cheers:

Neither I or InSTream/Hencox have heard about this problem before; so far your monitor seems to be the only one on that list. For now, the fix is unfortunately to simply try a different monitor. The SuperVidel does an on-the-fly conversion from VIDEL register data -> internal SV-specific registers, and it's not a trivial thing to debug/fix.

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Well, in that case it seems that new monitor is the easiest fix...if you haven't heard about this problem before then I guess any monitor would do...

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”