Supervidel and native debuggers

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Supervidel and native debuggers

Postby saulot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi,
anyone managed to launch and use any Atari debugger and Supervidel? I've tried ADEBUG and MONST( patched for 060) without any success (switching to VIDEL mode didn't help much). Is there something out there that actually works?

Regards,
Saulot

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Re: Supervidel and native debuggers

Postby shoggoth » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:00 pm

saulot wrote:Hi,
anyone managed to launch and use any Atari debugger and Supervidel? I've tried ADEBUG and MONST( patched for 060) without any success (switching to VIDEL mode didn't help much). Is there something out there that actually works?

Woopsie. Well since it's supposed to work, we obviously have to investigate it. It'e either a driver or hw issue, both can most probably be cured. Do you have proper output on the "real" VIDEL output? In such case, I'm guessing it's a firmware issue.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:37 pm

no proper output. I've tried to set VIDEL video modes in SV.INF (for example $001a), but it didn't help much.
Patched MON TT resets machine or displays white screen with black rectangle in upper part of the screen (I'm attaching screenshot).
ADEBUG doesn't run at all (4 bombs), but I'm not sure if it ran with 060 at all (,but someone had patched it for 060, FroST(?) some ages ago).
I've got 060 rev.6, tos 1.03c with ctcm (,but not overclocked), latest SV firmware(005). During startup I've got also some garbage output on Videl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:56 pm

saulot wrote:no proper output. I've tried to set VIDEL video modes in SV.INF (for example $001a), but it didn't help much.
Patched MON TT resets machine or displays white screen with black rectangle in upper part of the screen (I'm attaching screenshot).
ADEBUG doesn't run at all (4 bombs), but I'm not sure if it ran with 060 at all (,but someone had patched it for 060, FroST(?) some ages ago).
I've got 060 rev.6, tos 1.03c with ctcm (,but not overclocked), latest SV firmware(005). During startup I've got also some garbage output on Videl.

What kind of garbage output on VIDEL? The driver often moves the logical screen to SV videomemory (even on VIDEL-resolutions) since this is faster, but prior to loading the driver, the VIDEL screen should be intact (the SV counterpart have a garbled Atari-logo though - this is normal).

Some questions (don't have access to my Falcon right now)!
- Are you using the resident MON TT?
- Does MON TT change the screen resolution when invoked?
- Does MON TT re-use the "current" screen memory, or allocate its own?

... the last question is significant (and I don't blame you if you don't know the MON TT internals), because there's a bad scenario which can't really be dealt with in an easy way. Let's say the screen is located above 0x01000000... this is outside the range of the 24-bit VIDEL physbase registers. The SV has two additional frame buffer pointers for this very reason. If MONTT tries to re-use the current screen buffer, and decides the location of it based on the 24-bit physbase registers, things can go horribly wrong. If this is the case, maybe a workaround can be invented, or I could patch MON TT to behave a bit better. If my theory is right, it's really a general problem with having a graphics card in the machine, than an actual SV problem. Still it could/should be addressed, imo.

About ADEBUG - just make sure you have a version which actually works on the 060, otherwise it's a waste of time to think about it..
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:37 pm

ok I got this garbage during startup. I have xboot 3.10, before xboot I always run cache off (because xboot crashes or behaves weirdly). After Xboot I turn cache back to on. On supervidel just after xboot setting and launching it's config I've got always exception 0(with supervidel, I haven't got it without supervidel unplugged) and got this garbage on videl. After pressing space everything runs fine as nothing happened(xboot works as it should).

About debbuger I ran patched amon030(sems to be resident version) for 060 and it fails (as on screen I posted above). I've checked mon once again(repatched it for 060) and it seems to work (display is normal on dvi, so sorry for false alarm). About internal workings of MonTT I don't have brightest idea what is going on under the hood.
About adebug I have to redownload 060 fixed version and check it once again.

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”