SuperVidel in games

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

SuperVidel in games

Postby HuggyOne76 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Hello,
After some weeks with the SuperVidel (I'm very happy with the result with GEM/TOS or Mint to work, desktop is great !), I tried different games from here : http://www.klapauzius.net/Old_Games.html
I did the soldering on the motherboard, my CT60 is 1.03c, ABE V7F, SDR V7D, current firmware for the SuperVidel, etc...
Some games are ok (Sim City for example) but most of them (Lemmings, SWIV which are CT60 compatible), don't give me the same result than if the Falcon do the job with the Videl.
I can see as "bands of dark colors" which are about a quarter of the height of the screen to go from the bottom of the screen and scrolled to the top.
Perhaps a problem with soldering... is someone tried some of these games and give me his advice ?
Thank you (and sorry for my English !) :oops:

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Re: SuperVidel in games

Postby shoggoth » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:35 pm

HuggyOne76 wrote:Hello,
After some weeks with the SuperVidel (I'm very happy with the result with GEM/TOS or Mint to work, desktop is great !), I tried different games from here : http://www.klapauzius.net/Old_Games.html
I did the soldering on the motherboard, my CT60 is 1.03c, ABE V7F, SDR V7D, current firmware for the SuperVidel, etc...
Some games are ok (Sim City for example) but most of them (Lemmings, SWIV which are CT60 compatible), don't give me the same result than if the Falcon do the job with the Videl.
I can see as "bands of dark colors" which are about a quarter of the height of the screen to go from the bottom of the screen and scrolled to the top.
Perhaps a problem with soldering... is someone tried some of these games and give me his advice ?
Thank you (and sorry for my English !) :oops:

I never write bugs. Fault must be somewhere else. Tobbe, Henke - any ideas? :)
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:39 pm

Never write bugs ? :D
Perhaps just my own error with something... Just hope that someone will test the same games to know if the problem is from my setup or not (or my soldering skills, even if I re-test that)... :angel:

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:32 pm

HuggyOne76 wrote:Never write bugs ? :D
Perhaps just my own error with something... Just hope that someone will test the same games to know if the problem is from my setup or not (or my soldering skills, even if I re-test that)... :angel:

I think this one may be my fault... :roll: There may be some syncing bug in the VHDL code that makes the SuperVidel "lock" its Vsync one the wrong line. It is definitely not a driver issue since no driver support is needed for this function. :P I have mostly played Fire and Ice and there the palette switching often happens on the wrong line. But if I restart the game it may jump to the right line.

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:35 am

instream wrote:
HuggyOne76 wrote:Never write bugs ? :D

I think this one may be my fault... :roll: There may be some syncing bug in the VHDL code that makes the SuperVidel "lock" its Vsync one the wrong line. It is definitely not a driver issue since no driver support is needed for this function. :P I have mostly played Fire and Ice and there the palette switching often happens on the wrong line. But if I restart the game it may jump to the right line.

Ok... That's the fact, Fire and Ice is playing more or less really better than others... :) Happy to know that's not because of my work... :mrgreen:
Do you know if this problem will be fix (could it be ?) later ? With a new firmware ? Because I prefer to have only one output for the VGA and one for the RGB (with the Videl) instead of switching between RGB and VGA on the Videl. Is it possible ?

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:19 pm

I have a newer firmware, 006, in my SV, where I was able to run Fire and Ice 3 times in a row without getting the palette switching in the wrong part of the screen. So the bug _may_ have been fixed in 006. We're not sure yet though that 006 is stable on all machines, so we won't release it quite yet.

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:07 pm

instream wrote:I have a newer firmware, 006, in my SV, where I was able to run Fire and Ice 3 times in a row without getting the palette switching in the wrong part of the screen. So the bug _may_ have been fixed in 006. We're not sure yet though that 006 is stable on all machines, so we won't release it quite yet.

Yeah ! If the problem is resolved, that will be very nice ! SV is really great to use and games are not the primary goal for this card but that will be good not to switch from sv to videl for that. If you want me to try firmware, no problem ! :angel:

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 pm

I give a try with the new SV firmware and problem is solved... No more display from the SV when I play games like Lemmings, only display by the RGB, that's a fix ! :lol:
So... waiting for firmware 007... :mrgreen:

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”